Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

Old January 23rd 04, 10:51 AM
Dagny

Default Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

"Denise Anderson" wrote in message

3. best disposable diapers?

Anything but the yellow package from Wal-mart. Every kid is different
though. Baby 1 did fine in all disposable diapers (I'm mainly a cloth
diaper user though.) Kid 3 did best in Luvs.

I LOVE the yellow package from Wal-Mart! What's your complaint? I haven't
had one yet and we're in size 3.

My mom just brought me 3 packages on her last visit because the WM is not
close to my house. I'm cloth at home during the day and something without
perfume at night and when we're on the road.

Old January 23rd 04, 11:16 AM
Dagny

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to get a list together of items I want to have on hand as
starters and items that are well-liked to try. I know it;s different for

all
but I do hear a lot of the same opinions about good products etc. The same
brands keep coming up in praise etc....I would like any suggestion or

rec's.
I am going to ask about formla so those who is can tell me what works well
for their baby so I will know, I hope to end up breastfeeding though....I
know I won't use cloth diapers I will need disposables...

At three months of external motherhood here's been my experiences.

1. Best Baby wash?

I have some J&J but don't really use. Babies come clean in water. Meg gets
in the bath with me every other day. But we do use baby shampoo, Johnson
and Johnson or generic, on her head. Sometimes I'll run the lather down her
body or use some bar soap on her body.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

I am partial to the Huggies. I think it is called Natural Care.

3. best disposable diapers?

My only bad experience was Pampers Baby Dry. The perfume was so heavy it
made me feel sick. Pampers Swaddlers have a less offensive perfume. I
usually use a store brand w/o perfume.

4. Good formula brand and type?

No idea. I really don't think this is something you need to know ahead of
time -- it is better to see BFing as the only option, until it becomes easy
and fun. If you're at the point of needing formula, it shouldn't be a
sudden decision. You can figure it out then with your child's doctor --
since formula feeding should only be done when there is a medical need.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

I've used A&D and some zinc oxide type and have no preference. Usually Meg
has no diaper rash. I use cloth during the day which is a good incentive to
get her into a clean diaper after elimination pronto. Wet is wet.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

Haven't used a bottle.

7. Best baby lotion?

Haven't used, but did use grapeseed oil on her a little in those first peely
weeks. I had grapeseed oil on hand because oil was something I was supposed
to have in my birth kit.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

Most of this stuff is just going to take up room and money. If you keep the
baby clean with warm water, and change diapers pronto and clean well -- you
are not going to need this stuff.

9. Other good babycare products to have?
10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do

need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

Really you just need what you use for yourself and maybe some no tears
shampoo. You do not bathe a baby every day, they do not get dirty when they
are not crawling and eating food. Meg was about a week old when I washed
her hair for the first time and about twelve days old when she took her
first bath with me. I didn't do anything to the cord until it started to
fall off and then I put hydrogen peroxide on the belly button because it was
not infected but it looked a little goupy and it made me nervous. I only
did that once or twice because it became a normal looking belly button
within a day of cord detachment.

I assume you mean before leaving the house to go out once you're settled
into motherhood.

I'm not using a traditional diaper bag and that's worked well. I use one of
my old cloth briefbags and a small microfiber backpack from Target. The
backpack is big enough for several paper diapers, a dirty duds sack (or you
can use a grocery bag) because the first change away from home is usually a
cloth diaper and then I I may need somewhere to stick used disposables, a
small case holding wipes (or you can use a ziplock bag), my wallet, my keys,
my phone, and sometimes there's a sling stuffed in there too if I'm not
wearing it initially. This is what I would take in from the car with me
unless I was really going to be where I'm going for a long time. It's very
compact and leaves hands free.

My briefbag usually has an additional stash of diapers, a terry towel, a
small waterproof changing "pad" (it's not padded so it takes up very little
room), another set of baby clothes, something to read, and often some dirty
stuff that got stuck in there until it can head to the washing machine or
trash can.

Hope this has helped.

-- Dagny

Old January 23rd 04, 11:32 AM
Jacqui

Anne Rogers wibbled
8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder,
baby oil, etc?

very rarely used cotton wool, but it is useful to have on
occasoion,

Now there's a YMMV issue - we rarely use wipes (only when out) and use
cotton wool for nappy changes so get through a lot of it. We also top
and tail him with it, and put a eucalyptus-soaked ball (inside a balled
sock) in his cot when he was having trouble with a cold.

I go for the capsule approach to a diaper bag, very minmalist. I
have 2 nappies (increase to 4 for a newborn or a long day), wipes
(set aside the 1/3 full ones from the main changing station),
nappy sacks (essential if there is nowhere you can chuck the dirty
nappy), small packet of tissues (I've gone through 2 packs of 10
in 6 months, but the times I have used them I've been very glad to
have them), changing mat of some sort, sleep suit and cardigan
(currently this gets used about once a month, but you need it
there for those occasions). Add a muslin if you baby is a
posseter.

We don't even use the changing bag for most trips - a nappy sack
containing another nappy sack, one of those small packets of wipes, a
sample-size tub of Sudocrem and a nappy have sufficed for most shopping
trips (and we rarely need to use it, he seems to save it until he comes
home!). It also fits into my (small) handbag! I generally carry a spare
sleepsuit in the buggy too. The whole thing takes up a very tiny amount
of space in the buggy net. Our proper change bag can hold three
outfits, wipes/sacks and twelve nappies, we worked out, as well as a
dummy, bibs, food and spoons, and my purse & mobile phone. And that's
the small bag... I don't know how I'd ever fill the big bag as a
changing bag (we use it for packing his clothes and toys for longer
trips).

When he was younger I used to carry a spare top for me but now I don't
care, I'm used to walking around covered in milk and drool! (If I was
heading somewhere important I'd pop into a shop and buy a new top if it
was that bad, otherwise I'd maybe turn it back to front or take my
jumper off or whatever...)

Jac
Old January 23rd 04, 11:33 AM
Elly

1. Best Baby wash?

Johnson's baby bath (haven't tried the lavender one that just came on market
over here, we use the one with the yellow tap).

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

Pampers baby wipes or Pampers Sensitive baby wipes (haven't noticed much
difference between the two on Erin's skin; the "ordinary" Pampers baby wipes
(green package) has more wipes (72, I think) than the Pampers Sensitive baby
wipes package).

3. best disposable diapers?

Pampers Total Care.

4. Good formula brand and type?

I'm avoiding formula, but was recommended Nan 1 from Nestle by my
paediatritian.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

We use the lanoline cream they make in our pharmacy (no name, just baby
bottom cream ;-)

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

Avent. If you plan to pump and give the bottle on occasions when you go out
(you, your DH, etc.), you might consider getting the "bottle holder" (which
keeps the EBM at the same temperature for 4 hrs).
I'm told Chicco's bottles are also OK.

7. Best baby lotion?
We have Johnson's baby lotion, but don't use it much. Only to put on face
and hands when we go out occasionally, but our "babby bottom cream" serves
well, too (our postnatal care nurse told us to put it also on baby acne).

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

I bought baby powder but it's still unopened. We do use Johnson's baby oil
after the bath (our postnatal care nurse told us to rub it on baby's head in
case cradle cap appears (it didn't)).

9. Other good babycare products to have?

Cotton balls, qtips, alcohol, gauze (until the stump cord falls off);
whatever your paediatritian recommends against the fever, changing pad.
Cloth wipes (if you are blessed with a spitting baby ;-)
I also keep a roll of paper kitchen towels in the changing area (it helps to
clean up the mess).

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home

Your own peaceful area for breastfeeding (in case you don't, then bottles
and/or breastpump (I recommend Avent Isis), and/or formula - but wait until
your paediatritian recommends one!); changing pad, wipes, baby bottom cream,
diapers, cloth wipes. In case you leak, nursing pads (I use Neo Baby Nursing
Pads).
Sanitary pads for you (I needed them until week 8. Take them to the hospital
too (if you're giving birth there) in case they're not provided for.).

and what do I
need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

If you mean a diaper bag after you come home with the baby, then:
Change of clothes for the baby, 2 diapers, travel pack of baby wipes, small
box of diaper rash cream, portable changing pad (disposable or not; over
here we have brand BabyLove disposable changing pads that are wonderful,
they can even be washed (if there's only urine, no poop)). If you're using
bottles, then Avent bottle holder to keep the milk/formula at the same
temperature; if you're using pacifier, then pacifier+ pacifier holder (it
can be used as a rattle ;-) ;
for you: hand wipes, small bottle of water, nursing pads, sanitary pad (in
case AF appears!), cell phone (with numbers of your paediatritian!); I often
have migrains so I put paracetamol in it as well.

This is all I can think of at the moment... Good luck!

Old January 23rd 04, 11:41 AM
Jacqui

Jill wibbled

1. Best Baby wash?

We use Infacare but that's mainly because we got a free bottle (which
is HUGE) before he was born! No particular desire to switch brands.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

We got a lot of Pampers samples so we're still working through them, if
we need to buy them we tend to get whatever's on sale.

3. best disposable diapers?

Ownbrands for us (Pampers were seriously badly shaped for DS) - we use
UK brands so not much help to you I suppose. (Boots and Tesco for those
who care - Sainsbury's are quite inferior in our experience)

5. Best diaper rash cream?

Metanium, Sudocrem, Bepanthen all work. Sudocrem is useful for other
things too (I used it when my section scar was healing).

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

Avent.

7. Best baby lotion?

Water. Seriously. DS has had E45 on some contact dermatitis but nothing
else, and he has lovely skin.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder,
baby oil, etc?

We don't use powder or oil. Cradle cap shampoo was useful after olive
oil didn't help. We also found Infacol for colic invaluable but again
after other remedies didn't work. You might want to try other things
before stocking up.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

A baby-sized sponge and flannel have been useful for us, also nail
scissors and a hairbrush.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and
what do I need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

Newborn nappies and the various things required to change them,
probably a portable change mat as well as one in the house (you'll
probably want to change the baby in all sorts of places the first few
weeks). Feed the baby, keep the baby warm and clean, make sure it has
somewhere to sleep. Everything else is optional. What you'll need in
a diaper bag? Everything for the first few weeks. After that you'll
realise that you don't need all that much. :-)

Jac
Old January 23rd 04, 11:42 AM
Jacqui

Denise Anderson wibbled

Everyone needs a good baby snot sucker. Most hospital gives them
to you though.

Nah. We've got through six months without one - they're not recommended
in this country and are quite hard to find. You can live without one
quite easily, even during a nasty cold.

Jac
Old January 23rd 04, 01:30 PM
Dagny

Elly's post reminded me that I did use the oil also for cradle cap.

Old January 23rd 04, 02:06 PM

Jill wrote:
I am trying to get a list together of items I want to have on hand as
starters and items that are well-liked to try. I know it;s different for all
but I do hear a lot of the same opinions about good products etc. The same
brands keep coming up in praise etc....I would like any suggestion or rec's.
I am going to ask about formla so those who is can tell me what works well
for their baby so I will know, I hope to end up breastfeeding though....I
know I won't use cloth diapers I will need disposables...

1. Best Baby wash?

We're currently using Aveeno Moisturizing Baby Wash. Most Johnson's and
Johnson's Baby Washes are really drying. There was a thread about this (on
mkb maybe?) recently.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

We use cloth wipes at home and send some sort of Pampers wipes for
sensitive skin to day care and for use in the diaper bag. They are perfume
free, which I much prefer over the awful smelling perfumes that they put
in most of them.

3. best disposable diapers?

Never used them.

4. Good formula brand and type?

Never used formula.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

California Baby. It's expensive, but it's amazing. I use Aveeno cream when
it's just a little red (because it's cheaper), but I use the California
Baby when it progresses to something that needs to be healed quickly.
Lansinoh breast cream works well for diaper rashes, too.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

We use the Dr. Brown's bottles to send EBM to day care. It was the only
bottle he would take when we were first trying to get him to take a
bottle. Now, he'll take other types of wide mouth bottles, but he spits up
a lot with any other bottle.

7. Best baby lotion?

Aveeo calming lotion.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

I like the medicated cornstarch baby powders for putting in his diaper at
night. I've never used baby oil.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

I'd have infant Tylenol on hand, just in case. You don't want to run out
in the middle of the night when baby gets the first fever. Vaseline seems
to come in hand for a variety of uses - chapped skin, lubricating the
rectal thermometer, diaper rash cream, etc. I needed lots and lots of burp
cloths (still do) because my baby was a massive spitter-upper. Delicate
little burp cloths didn't do the trick, we needed extra thick cloth
diapers (the kind you could actually cloth diaper wih). We also use the
prefold cloth diapers to keep him from spraying pee all over the place
(boys are great, aren't they?) when changing his diaper. We use cloth
diapers for actual diapering, too, but not flat diapers like you use for
burp cloths.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do I
need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

Our diaper bag has diapers, wipes, changing pad, little baggies to put
dirty diapers in, an extra one-piece outfit, hand cleaner, and burp
cloths. Now that he's older, we also keep a couple of toys and a teether.

Thanks for any info!

Old January 23rd 04, 03:17 PM
Nikki

Jill wrote:

1. Best Baby wash?

I used the store brand. My kids have no particular skin sensitivities.

2. Best baby wipes?

Depends on your wipe using habit :-) I like Huggies brand best. I use one
or two wipes unless all hell broke loose in there. I've had to actually
give the baby a bath, lol. Dh uses about a dozen wipes at every diaper
change so we also have the store brand for him. I prefer the scent free
ones.

3. best disposable diapers?

YMMV depending on shape of baby. I use store brands. All but one work well
(my kid are two long for that one).

4. Good formula brand and type?

Don't know

5. Best diaper rash cream?

I use the store brand desitine.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

Again - depends some on the baby. I used platex.

7. Best baby lotion?

I never used lotion.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby
oil, etc?

I didn't need poweder, oil, lotion, or any of that stuff. Oil is nice if
you plan to do baby message.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

I used vasaline on the diaper area for the first 3 weeks or so, and I also
used it on their cheeks before we went outside in the cold.

10. What should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home,

Thermometer, nail clippers, cord care stuff. Some people no longer do
anything to the cord. Vasaline if you c**rc. Book/info on breastfeeding.

what do I need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

Diapers, wipes, receiving blanket, two changes of clothes, a plastic bag in
case you need something to put dirty clothes in. I had a rattle or
something in there as well.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old January 23rd 04, 03:17 PM
Kari

1. Best Baby wash?

I use Burts Bees baby stuff, their milk bath is awesome! But I like their
shampoo bar too.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

I use cloth wipes but disposables when we go out. Huggies supreme, because
they have great texture!

3. best disposable diapers?

We use cloth most of the time but again, Huggies. Ultratrim I like better
than the supreme. We tried Luvs but I didnt like the smell. Weird. And
Pampers are okay but I'd buy generics if there was only a choice between
those and Pampers.

4. Good formula brand and type?

Sorry can't help you there!

5. Best diaper rash cream?

Aveeno or California baby I think is the name, it's natural.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

Avent and then Playtex (in that order)

7. Best baby lotion?

I love mustela brand, it smells SO good! We use that, and Burts Bees baby
lotion too.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

I never use oil, I hate it. I love the burts bees baby powder, no talc and
almost 100% natural. It's pink! Really smells nice and I like it for me when
Im itchy. And a baby cap, I always have one on Xander. My favorites are the
pilot caps from Hanna Andersson, they are light and will work as an
underlayer in winter or work in warmer weather too. They are very very cute
as well. Here's a link
http://www.hannaandersson.com/catego...&ggpId=&gpcPos
One is enough, just get a basic color.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

hand mitten thingys, all my kids had long nails and scratched themselves, Or
baby socks would work too.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do

need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

Diapers, wipes, change of clothes, cell phone. That's about it for me right
now!

Thanks for any info!

Good luck!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and the Xan man (3 mos)