Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

Old January 24th 04, 02:19 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Default Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

Jill wrote:
1. Best Baby wash?

We use the Dove Sensitive Skin bars, which keeps the eczema-prone
Caterpillar moister. Johnson's Lavender bath smells wonderful, but was a
bad, bad thing for us.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

Pampers pop-up unscented.

3. best disposable diapers?

White Cloud (Wal-mart store brand). No nasty scent, no leaks, and they're
cheap. And they don't disintegrate when you open and re-close them, the way
a lot of the store brands do.

4. Good formula brand and type?

If we'd used formula, I'd have started with Good Start. But honestly, what
kept me breastfeeding through the first rough weeks was that going to the
store to get formula was always a worse task than sticking it out through
the current nursing session. I preferred to keep temptation as far from me
as possible.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

I like Desitin, but it does stain.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

We use 4 ounce Avent bottles with newborn nipples (Caterpillar gets ebm by
bottle while I'm at work). The smaller bottles heat faster than the 9 ounce
bottles, so we do two small bottles rather than one big one.

7. Best baby lotion?

Generic equivalent to Eucerin cream, for eczema-prone super-dry baby

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby
oil, etc?

Gas drops (mylicon drops) and baby Tylenol or generic.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

Most people think wipes warmers are frivolous. But we had a baby who
screamed at every diaper change, and warm wipes stopped the screaming. In
the middle of the night, it was definitely worth the $20. When she stopped
needing night-time changes, we stopped warming.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread; substitute mailbolt

Old January 24th 04, 02:36 AM
New York Jen

1. Best Baby wash?

We use J&J softwash, started out with plain old yellow J&J baby wash

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

Huggies unscented at first. I still use them most of the time but I have
Pampers one ups for stinky poops (scented)

3. best disposable diapers?

We're Pampers people here...custom cruisers all the way, although they
recently changed the design

4. Good formula brand and type?

Oh please please please try and breastfeed. Sometimes the hospitals are not
that supportive and your OB's office will give you formula samples, but
breastfeeding is just SO much better for you AND your baby. Take a course
at the local hospital if need be, contact a lactation consultant.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

A&D at first, very gentle and if there is a rash, Balmex. There's something
called Triple Paste that they have in many pharmacies here that works
wonders for stubborn painful rashes.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

We used Avent when we used them, which was rare...then when Laszlo weaned we
stuck with plain old Gerber bottles.

7. Best baby lotion?

Eucerin, it's not just for babies but it's extremely gentle. Burt's Bees
products are wonderful as well and smell great.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

Never ever used baby powder or baby oil. Baby oil is actually rarely
recommended anymore (at least the traditional type) because it clogs poors.
Better to use mineral oil or apricot oil (Burt's Bees makes a great baby
oil) if you feel the need for oil at all. It is handy if the baby gets
cradle cap.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

I loved all the little gadgets, like the pacifier holders, spoon holders,
toy snappy things to hold them onto the stroller so the baby didn't throw
them on the floor. Basically the types of things they have on the counter
right by checkout to make you grab them last minute.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do

need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

When you bring baby home: A place for baby to sleep, onesies, footed PJ's,
1 or 2 outfits...sweaters, jackets, infant car seat, wipes, diapers...infant
tylenol just in case, thermometer...common sense stuff

Diaper bag: wipes, diapers, cloth diapers for wiping up spitup, bottle of
water for YOU, small bottle of tylenol, your pediatrician's phone number

Thanks for any info!

You're welcome, hope this helps,

Jen

Old January 24th 04, 10:19 AM
Donna

"Sophie" wrote in message

Cloth diapers are good for all kinds of things. Imagine my bewilderment

the
first time I visited my then-boyfriend (now husband) in his barracks room
and saw a pack of cloth diapers. Hhhmmm, I thought, ready to run. Turns
out they're great for polishing boots too

Hee! That's hilarious. It's amazing how useful those darn things
are, once you have them. My neighbor (who kindly refrained from giggling
when I, pre-baby, told her innocently that I would be using cloth diapers,
unless I could find biodegradeable disposables. rolls eyes That lasted
about a week.) brought me a package of them, because " What else are you
going to polish silver with down the road?"

Donna

Old January 24th 04, 10:21 AM
Donna

"Plissken" wrote in message
| 8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
| etc?

Baby powder is not recommended as it can be inhaled and damage baby's

lungs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I understood that *talcum* powder (the
old formulation of baby powder) is no longer sold as baby powder because the
talcum particles are small enough to be inhaled and could damage the baby's
lungs, but that the current formulation is made of cornstarch, which is a
much larger particle, and safe. Is that universal, just in the USA, or am
I totally mistaken?

I love the burt's products, too. They're wonderful.

Donna

Old January 24th 04, 10:29 AM
Donna

"Plissken" wrote in message

"Varying or randomly adding fatty acids to formula does not always

translate
into optimal delivery of these fatty acids to the infant. These fatty

acids
were not approved by the FDA for use. They were simply allowed onto the
market with the stipulation of post market surveillance. This means give

the
formula to as many babies as possible and see what happens. Since the
clinical trials (experiments on babies) were done on small numbers, this
allows the formula companies to have access to the entire population of
babies born in the US every year, 4 million. The formulas are under study

by
the Institute of Medicine for safety. This represents an enormous
uncontrolled experiment that bypasses informed consent and is staunchly
defended by health care professionals who are wedded to the infant formula
industry."

DHA/ARA has never been approved or properly tested by the FDA.

You know, I actually did know that, but I do appreciate the reminder, and
I'm sure that others who are thinking about brands of formula can definitely
use the information. I put DD on it when I weaned her, and, like with
every formula, would have switched her to another brand had I seen any
intolerance.

The FDA has an entire category of things that are not tested in extensive
clinical trials, like drugs, but are considered "GRAS" - generally regarded
as safe. (Nutrasweet is one of the things that immediately comes to mind,
but there are lots of others.)

Best wishes,

Donna

Old January 24th 04, 12:53 PM
Sophie

It's not that it doesn't "work." The problem is
more that it works too well at killing off the bacteria.
A certain amount of bacteria is necessary for the cord
stump to rot and fall off. The key is to make sure that
you find that happy balance where there are enough of
the right bacteria to do the job and not too many that
you get an infection. Generally speaking, they've found
you're most likely to hit that happy medium just washing
with water or soap and water and making sure it's nice
and dry afterwards. Statistically, the cord stump is
likely to fall off soonest this way.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Okay, never heard the bacteria thing before. It'll be interesting to see
what's recommended this time.

Old January 24th 04, 12:55 PM
Sophie

Back in 2001 when I had my last baby plenty of people here said using
alcohol was no longer recommended to them. Well it was recommended to

me
and it worked just fine.

We used some alcohol -- in 2001 -- because the hospital supplied some

little
alcohol wipes for us.

I won't do the same this time, because DS' stump took a *very* long time

fall off.

But my main point is that even if you do want to use alcohol, you may not

have
to go out and buy it. You can just bring it home from the hospital.

Yep those gauze squares with alcohol in them. We used those.

That's also why we ended up with 3 or 4 digital thermometers, 3 nasal bulb
thingies, an extra comb, a little bar of glycerin soap, etc., etc., etc.

We
just took home everything the hospital stocked his bassinet with. For the

OP
and interested others: If you know people who've given birth recently at

the
same hospital you're planning to use, ask what they brought home. Saves

having
to buy stuff you might not need.

Holly
Mom to Camden, almost 3
EDD #2 6/8/04

Lol we did the same. Took diapers, the bulb suction thingy, more gauze for
the boys' you-know-whats.

Old January 24th 04, 01:02 PM
Plissken

"Donna" wrote in message

| "Plissken" wrote in message
|
| "Varying or randomly adding fatty acids to formula does not always
| translate
| into optimal delivery of these fatty acids to the infant. These fatty
| acids
| were not approved by the FDA for use. They were simply allowed onto the
| market with the stipulation of post market surveillance. This means give
| the
| formula to as many babies as possible and see what happens. Since the
| clinical trials (experiments on babies) were done on small numbers, this
| allows the formula companies to have access to the entire population of
| babies born in the US every year, 4 million. The formulas are under
study
| by
| the Institute of Medicine for safety. This represents an enormous
| uncontrolled experiment that bypasses informed consent and is staunchly
| defended by health care professionals who are wedded to the infant
formula
| industry."
|
| DHA/ARA has never been approved or properly tested by the FDA.
|
| You know, I actually did know that, but I do appreciate the reminder, and
| I'm sure that others who are thinking about brands of formula can
definitely
| use the information. I put DD on it when I weaned her, and, like with
| every formula, would have switched her to another brand had I seen any
| intolerance.
|
| The FDA has an entire category of things that are not tested in extensive
| clinical trials, like drugs, but are considered "GRAS" - generally
regarded
| as safe. (Nutrasweet is one of the things that immediately comes to mind,
| but there are lots of others.)

Really? I'll have to search the internet for that list. That kind of scares
me. I wonder how they determine it is safe without any experiments. I guess
I'm a little paranoid :-)

Nadene

Old January 24th 04, 09:14 PM
Jamie Clark

"Sophie" wrote in message

Back in 2001 when I had my last baby plenty of people here said using
alcohol was no longer recommended to them. Well it was recommended to me
and it worked just fine.

Jody - Yes, rubbing alcohol.

Personally, I think Tequila works well, especially in the form of
Margaritas, over ice, no salt. ; - )

--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03