OT - getting out of Jury Duty

Old October 17th 04, 12:15 AM
Rosalie B.

"lizzard woman" wrote:
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .

(snip)

| For one thing, we are not near any track and so it is not as easy for
| them to get track rejects. They often breed their own. There are
| livestock auctions here locally, but not often for horses.

I think that might be the difference.

| For another thing, the Amish are not the only people who buy horses
| off the track. We've owned two TBs off the track ourselves. Didn't
| mean that we didn't take proper care of them.

You're not Amish. I also owned an OTB mare. Kept her until she died at the
age of 31 and took the best of care of her. I, too, am not Amish.

Your point?

That people that get horses off the track may or may not take care of
them appropriately.

My daughters OTB gelding was 17h and not well broke, and he apparently
scared the person she bought him from. They couldn't deliver him to
her in the winter because of the snow in the mountain passes, so they
basically almost starved him while they were waiting for the weather
to improve. He arrived with all the vertebrae in his back clearly
visible. Plus he'd fallen in the stock trailer and been trodden on by
the other horses so he was bloody and swollen in the bargain.

The Amish are no better or worse about taking care of animals than any
other group of people.

Actually given what I know about treatment of horses at the track,
they are probably on the whole better. (My SIL was a licensed
trainer, my niece was an apprentice jockey, and my ds exercised and
trained horses for the track)

grandma Rosalie
Old October 17th 04, 12:22 AM
Tori M.

Actually, my contract with the school district pays teachers for jury duty
at regular salary (minus whatever the per day jury pay is), but I have

never
known a teacher to be seated on an actual jury. Lawyers don't seem to like
us, for some reason.

because you are all suposed to be so smart They would not be able to get
away with anything..

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old October 17th 04, 12:25 AM
JAJ

"firedancer623" wrote in message news:nwYbd.251$UX3.9@trndny03...

I've been trying to get us to relocate to Canada for a few years now. My
husband can do a direct transfer right across the Lake (Ontario) from the
power plant he now works at to Pickering. He doesn't want the hassle of
immigration and having to switch over citizenships, sell the house and
possible get rid of our beloved pets. He also loves where he works although
he's pretty disgusted with the US for the same reasons as I am.

1. Information on Canadian immigration (and citizenship) is available
at http://www.cic.gc.ca

2. After three years as permanent residents in Canada you could apply
for Canadian citizenship (note you need permanent residence - a work
permit won't do). You would not lose US citizenship on becoming
Canadian (so it's not clear why you think you have to 'switch'
citizenships). http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ is a good resource on
dual citizenship.

3. I'm not aware of restrictions on bringing pets from the US to
Canada, although you should of course check directly.

4. The newsgroup misc.immigration.canada is a good resource for
asking questions about Canadian immigration.

Jeremy
Old October 17th 04, 12:27 AM
Jared

"firedancer623" wrote in message news:gKUbd.441$Ug4.389@trndny01...
Is it possible? Any good tips how? I got a questionnaire which basically
qualified me with a note saying something along the lines of "you will be
summoned within the next year" My husband works 40 miles away, I have no
childcare (all family lives hours away) and all my usual baby sitters either
work or are in school all day. Oh, and Im still nursing Xander. Right on the
questionnaire it said that needing childcare, transportation or work reasons
did not qualify to reject you. What crap!!!

I really really don't want to serve but if I get summoned, I will do
whatever I can to NOT serve. Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

Thanks,

Kari
mom to Kaylie, Noah and Xander

Kari,
There is a HUGE website that provides helpful information regarding
Jury Duty for anyone in your situation.
The URL of the "Family Friendly Jury Duty" site is:

http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.org

This is a comprehensive website that has among other things:
- What to do when called for Jury Duty and have no one to care for
your kids.
- A listing of states that excuse SAH parents/guardians from jury
duty
- Outlines the process on how to change the jury duty laws in your
state
- How to report misconduct by a judge or court worker

Good luck!
Old October 17th 04, 12:37 AM
firedancer623

"Jared" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thank you, I truly appreciate your input!!

Old October 17th 04, 01:26 AM
Nan

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:54:44 GMT, "lizzard woman"
scribbled:

"Banty" wrote in message

(snip)

| Your extreme dislike of religious people is well known. I'm not even
religious,
| and I'm getting tired of it.

Someone's got to do it. For the sake of the children.

Whose children??? I'd prefer you not teach *my* children *your*
values. I can manage that job just fine.

Nan

Old October 17th 04, 01:27 AM
Nan

On 16 Oct 2004 15:04:51 -0700, Banty
scribbled:

Oh, I know I know.

But surely the excuse will be tried, and insisted upon, and tried again :-)

Probably not any more than the other excuses, but I see your point.

Nan
Old October 17th 04, 01:29 AM
lizzard woman

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

(snip)

| The Amish are no better or worse about taking care of animals than any
| other group of people.

None of what you said proved this point and it is counter to what I've heard
in re the Amish who buy standardbreds (NOT TBs of which I haven't heard a
thing) off the track.

| Actually given what I know about treatment of horses at the track,
| they are probably on the whole better. (My SIL was a licensed
| trainer, my niece was an apprentice jockey, and my ds exercised and
| trained horses for the track)

At least they aren't starved or worked to death. When horses go for near
meat prices, it gets ugly.

--
love,
la mangosteena

"There are more people in the world who worship cows than there are Biblical
literalists." (Hank, 2004)

Old October 17th 04, 02:11 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Buzzy Bee wrote:

*On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:12:38 -0400, "Sophie"
*wrote:
*
*
*Did you have to give up your US citizenship?
*
*IIRC Canada do not require you to give up another citizenship if you
*take up Canadian citizenship anyway - I have family with dual
*Canadian/UK citizenship.

Yeah. And Jim Carrey just became a US citizen, and it has been widely
publicized that he is also maintaining his Canadian citizenship

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old October 17th 04, 02:17 AM
lizzard woman

"Nan" wrote in message
| On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:54:44 GMT, "lizzard woman"
| scribbled:
|
| "Banty" wrote in message
|
| (snip)
|
| | Your extreme dislike of religious people is well known. I'm not even
| religious,
| | and I'm getting tired of it.
|
| Someone's got to do it. For the sake of the children.
|
| Whose children??? I'd prefer you not teach *my* children *your*
| values. I can manage that job just fine.

The children who will grow up and be accosted on their lack of belief by
those who were never taught to leave others alone.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)