worm (computer type)

Old September 22nd 03, 08:28 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default worm (computer type)

quick poll.... are there tons of people here fighting off the MS worm?
(heaps of crap wiht attachments saying they are the latest critical patch)

Dawn

Old September 22nd 03, 08:40 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Dawn Lawson wrote:
quick poll.... are there tons of people here fighting off the MS worm?
(heaps of crap wiht attachments saying they are the latest critical patch)

Dawn

/raises hand

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old September 22nd 03, 08:53 PM
Emily Roysdon

Dawn Lawson wrote:
quick poll.... are there tons of people here fighting off the MS worm?
(heaps of crap wiht attachments saying they are the latest critical patch)

Nope, I use Linux-based applications on my machine, with no Microsoft
anywhere. It is so nice to not have to worry about viruses, but even
when I used MS I always had virus protection software running.

Emily

Old September 22nd 03, 08:56 PM
Dawn Lawson

Sue wrote:
Lots and lots of people are dealing with this. All the newsgroups that I
participate in have the same problem. I made up a rule that says to dump any
mail that comes with an attachment to delete it. There is a patch on the
microsoft web page that corrects this, but tis too late now, but perhaps
will help with other worms. It's a PITA. I had over 400 emails this weekend
from this stupid worm. I'll be glad when they get their jollies over.

Trouble is, afaik, that someone is infected, and is unknowingly sending
these messages, so until the infected party(s) clean up their computer,
I don't think it will stop. Will it?

Old September 22nd 03, 08:57 PM
Dawn Lawson

Emily Roysdon wrote:
Dawn Lawson wrote:

quick poll.... are there tons of people here fighting off the MS worm?
(heaps of crap wiht attachments saying they are the latest critical
patch)

Nope, I use Linux-based applications on my machine, with no Microsoft
anywhere. It is so nice to not have to worry about viruses, but even
when I used MS I always had virus protection software running.

AFAIK, it's using someone's email addres book to send the spam. It's
got nada to do wtih Microsoft at the receiveing end, if I understand it
properly...

dawn, willing to stand corrected

Old September 22nd 03, 09:24 PM
Emily Roysdon

Molly Fisher wrote:
In article ,
Emily Roysdon wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote:

quick poll.... are there tons of people here fighting off the MS worm?
(heaps of crap wiht attachments saying they are the latest critical patch)

Nope, I use Linux-based applications on my machine, with no Microsoft
anywhere. It is so nice to not have to worry about viruses, but even
when I used MS I always had virus protection software running.

Your munged email address is to thank for your email being free of this
nuisance. I've only got Macintoshes and I'm getting tons of the Swen (or
whatever) worm messages.

Oh yeah, that's why I'm not getting the emails from other people. I
misread Dawn's post to mean, are people dealing with *having* the virus.

Emily, who shouldn't reply to posts with a feverish kid in her lap :-P

Old September 22nd 03, 09:27 PM
Emily Roysdon

Dawn Lawson wrote:

Emily Roysdon wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote:

quick poll.... are there tons of people here fighting off the MS
worm? (heaps of crap wiht attachments saying they are the latest
critical patch)

Nope, I use Linux-based applications on my machine, with no Microsoft
anywhere. It is so nice to not have to worry about viruses, but even
when I used MS I always had virus protection software running.

AFAIK, it's using someone's email addres book to send the spam. It's
got nada to do wtih Microsoft at the receiveing end, if I understand it
properly...

dawn, willing to stand corrected

Ah, I misunderstood what you wrote. I thought you were asking about
people who are having to deal with the virus itself, not the resultant
emails. I've only seen one email with it so far, just a bit ago, on a
list I'm on, and the list doesn't allow attachments so the virus didn't
come through.

Emily

Old September 22nd 03, 11:07 PM
Jan Andrea

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message
quick poll.... are there tons of people here fighting off the MS worm?
(heaps of crap wiht attachments saying they are the latest critical patch)

I'm getting between 200-300 copies per day. I'd love to be able to shut
them off from my mailservers, but can't configure the filters to pinpoint
just these. *So* obnoxious. I'm getting them from three different
accounts. Yuck.

Jan
--
Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
and Strychnine, EDD 29 September 2003

Old September 22nd 03, 11:11 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Jan Andrea wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote:

quick poll.... are there tons of people here fighting off the MS worm?
(heaps of crap wiht attachments saying they are the latest critical patch)

I'm getting between 200-300 copies per day. I'd love to be able to shut
them off from my mailservers, but can't configure the filters to pinpoint
just these. *So* obnoxious. I'm getting them from three different
accounts. Yuck.

Mung up your email address and download the free version of Mailwasher.
Then use their filters. I also created a new email address but that
might not be necessary.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Ring worm Tori M. General 6 June 8th 04 02:19 PM
Type II IUGR, seeking help... Kedar Agarkar Pregnancy 5 September 23rd 03 07:36 AM
RECALL: IBM and LiteOn Technology Computer Monitors Truffles General 0 August 28th 03 08:48 PM
RECALL: IBM and LiteOn Technology Computer Monitors Truffles Pregnancy 0 August 28th 03 08:48 PM
RECALL: IBM and LiteOn Technology Computer Monitors Truffles Breastfeeding 0 August 28th 03 08:48 PM