Empowering boys

Old February 29th 04, 02:31 AM

Default Empowering boys

I know alot of empowering young women and girlpower and I have read many
periodicals and books on the subject.
Now, I am searching for empowering young men and boypower. The search is very
skim. I have read, Bad Boys and Raising Boys, but there is just not as much
out there on this subject as far as programs to help boys, besides YMCA.
I know there is boy scouts and girl scouts, etc, but they are something that
is not close by in our area.
I am going to be getting some ideas together to begin a program within the
school system that empowers our young men. I have been reading a lot of stuff
to present to some rape crisis volunteers on the history of rape. This is what
got me to think about how men are raised to commit such a horrible act.
Then I think of their home life, etc. and it is a serious factor?
What do you guys think?
I will be going to school (senior highs) and speaking to young women about
rape prevention, but just what can I tell the boys?
Sorry about the long rant.
Thanks.
The teacher will appear when the pupil is ready.

Old February 29th 04, 06:43 AM
Darkfalz

"V" wrote in message
[...]

Men are already empowered in a different way.

"Female empowerment" is more or less "think only about yourself and step
over anyone who gets in your way". And modern female have taken to that with
almost religious fervor.

However, men are the complete opposite. They compromise, they are
considerate, they help their fellow human beings. THIS is the true
empowerment, empowerment of the soul. What women are doing is simply evil.

Old February 29th 04, 02:34 PM
Bebe lestrnge

Empowering boys

Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Sun, Feb 29, 2004, 1:31am
(EST+5) From: (V)

V wrote;
I know alot of empowering young women and girlpower and I have read many
periodicals and books on the subject.
Now, I am searching for empowering young men and boypower. The search is
very skim. I have read, Bad Boys and Raising Boys, but there is just not
as much out there on this subject as far as programs to help boys,
besides YMCA. I know there is boy scouts and girl scouts, etc, but they
are something that is not close by in our area.

B wrote:
Maybe a "Big Brothers " Program ?

V wrote;
I am going to be getting some ideas together to begin a program within
the school system that empowers our young men.

B wrote;
Great Idea!

V wrote:
I have been reading a lot of stuff to present to some rape crisis
volunteers on the history of rape. This is what got me to think about
how men are raised to commit such a horrible act. Then I think of their
home life, etc. and it is a serious factor? What do you guys think?

B wrote:
This makes me think of how horrible a childs life must be to be raised
with such a disposition? I know a lot of the act of rape is about the
"power and control" and not the actual sexual gratification. I have
heard and read that these men/boys grow up with a hatred of women or a
particular woman (Mother) . I do see how poor parenting could create
this behavior, but sometimes a sick mind is just a sick mind and there
was no reason for it , no one to blame...........

V wrote:
I will be going to school (senior highs) and speaking to young women
about rape prevention, but just what can I tell the boys? Sorry about
the long rant.
Thanks.

B wrote:
To seek out professional help if they think it is o.k. to violate and
cause such pain suffering and harm to another human being? That "NO"
means "NO" and forcing beyond that point is wrong, a violent act, that
is not O.K. ever. I am thinking good moral values are indeed taught at
home, unfortunately many young men and women grow up without the
needed guidance. Many fall through the cracks .
Maybe telling the boys exactly what being raped feels like to a woman ,
how it destroys both body and mind and the struggle involved with
healing from such a despicable act. (touchy subject)
Bev

The teacher will appear when the pupil is ready.

Old February 29th 04, 02:50 PM
sg34

B wrote:
To seek out professional help if they think it is o.k. to violate and
cause such pain suffering and harm to another human being? That "NO"
means "NO" and forcing beyond that point is wrong, a violent act, that
is not O.K. ever. I am thinking good moral values are indeed taught at
home, unfortunately many young men and women grow up without the
needed guidance. Many fall through the cracks .
Maybe telling the boys exactly what being raped feels like to a woman ,
how it destroys both body and mind and the struggle involved with
healing from such a despicable act. (touchy subject)
Bev

The teacher will appear when the pupil is ready.

Rape, unfortunately can happen to boys too. Also you have to look at the
controversy in the Catholic Church and think about all the young boys that
were molested. The church finally admitted it, acknowledged it. Hopefully
it won't be pushed under the rug anymore.

My relative was molested by his uncle when he was a little boy, and he had
repressed this memory until he was in his 60'd. I can't imagine holding it
in for so long.

Best of luck in empowering boys! It'll help them become better fathers,
uncles, cousins and sons.

sg

Old February 29th 04, 04:02 PM
lm

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:31:22 GMT, "V" wrote:

[...]

Two books I have found helpful raising boys:

The Wonder of Boys: What Parents, Mentors, and Educators Can Do To
Shape Boys Into Exceptional Men, by Michael Gurian

Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons From the Myths of Boyhood, by William
Pollack

lm
Old March 1st 04, 02:31 AM

"sg34" wrote in message
snip
Best of luck in empowering boys! It'll help them become better fathers,
uncles, cousins and sons.

sg

Thank you.

Old March 1st 04, 02:32 AM

"lm" wrote in message
snip

Two books I have found helpful raising boys:

The Wonder of Boys: What Parents, Mentors, and Educators Can Do To
Shape Boys Into Exceptional Men, by Michael Gurian

Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons From the Myths of Boyhood, by William
Pollack

lm

Thank you Lm. I have read the real boys and will definately check out those
books!

Old March 1st 04, 02:33 AM

'Kate wrote in message ...
[...]

I think it's a fabulous idea.

I would, if putting together a program, include the history of the man's
role in the family, how it became "head of the family" and how it has
changed.

I also think that we have to reach boys in a different way than we're
accustomed to reaching girls. Their communication style is different.
I think they're more hands-on than vocal about the things that are
bothering them. Mentoring programs for boys would help.

I would talk about video game and movie violence.

What I've noticed lacking in many of these programs is solid information
about exactly where to go and how to get there. For example, we talk
about AIDS prevention and the importance of testing but not where to go
to get tested and how to get there. The crisis centers, if a teen is
in a town with little public transportation, are not accessable. Can,
for example, a local program be started to include a free taxi service
to the nearest crisis center so that teens can get help? If we
eliminate that obstacle, what others are in the way?

This is an exciting idea and worth taking the time to think about. There
was also a 60 minutes or 20/20 show on communicating with boys about 5-6
years ago. I don't know if you can find a transcript but if you can, I
think it would help.

'Kate

kate; excellent ideas. thank you so much!!

Girls Don't Deserve Any Unfair Advantages Over Boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fair For All General 0 April 13th 04 05:26 PM
My Wish Fair For All General 25 April 8th 04 05:33 PM
OT religion and smacking teapot Breastfeeding 170 March 19th 04 03:41 AM
Most Misandrists are Cruel to Boy Children Fair for all General 0 March 12th 04 03:37 AM
Review: Bad Boys II (**) Steve Rhodes General 0 August 4th 03 09:17 PM