Parent Stress Index another idiotic indicator list

Old March 12th 04, 12:11 AM
Greg Hanson

Default Parent Stress Index another idiotic indicator list

PSI Item Booklet

Instructions"

On the PSI Answer Sheet, please write your name,
gender, date of birth, ethnic group, marital status,
child's name, child's gender, child's date of birth,
and today's date. Please mark all your responses on
the answer sheet. DO NOT WRITE ON THIS BOOKLET.

This questionnaire contains 120 statements. Read each
statement carefully. For each statement, please focus
on the child you are most concerned about, and circle
the response which best represents your opinion.

Circle the SA if you STRONGLY AGREE wiht the statement
Circle the A if you AGREE with the statement
Circle the NS if you are NOT SURE
Circle the D if you DISAGREE with the statement.
Circle the SD if you STRONGLY DISAGREE with the
statement.

For example, if you sometimes enjoy going to the
movies, you would circle A in response to the
following statement:
I enjoy going to the movies SA A NS D SD

While you may not find a response that exactly states
your feelings, please circle the response that comes
closest to describing how you feel. YOUR FIRST
REACTION TO EACH QUESTION SHOULD BE YOUR ANSWER.

Circle only one response for each statement, and
respond to all statements. DO NOT ERASE! If ou need
to change an answer, make an "X" through the incorrect
answer and circle the correct response.

**Okay, there is nothing to circle. You are given a
seperate sheet, that is checked through a computer
scoring/rating program.

On this sheet, there is 1: Strongly Agree 2: Agree
3: Not Sure 4: Disagree 5: Strongly Disagree

Next to each number, 1 - 120, that corresponds with a
question in the PSI Item Booklet, you just fill in the
circle that corresponds to your answer. 1 - 5, as in
the above paragraph. There are many questions that
have you answer OUTSIDE of the 1 - 5 and have differnt
selections for you, but still 1 - 5 on the PSI Answer
Sheet.

This is by the Psychological Assessment Resources,
Inc. P.O. Box 998, Odessa, FL 33556 1-800-331-TEST

***The Parenting Stress Index is scored in two
domains, Child Domain and Parent Domain. And Life
Stress, which is optional.

In the CHILD DOMAIN, there is Adaptability;
Acceptability; Demandingness; Mood; Distract/Hyper;;
Reinf.Par.

In the PARENT DOMAIN, there is Depression; Attachment;
Role Rest.; Competence; Isolation; Spouse; Health

The last is not considered a "domain," and LIFE
STRESS.

These are the 120 Questions:

1. When my child wants something, my child usually
keeps trying to get it.

2. My child so so active that it exhausts me.

3. My child appears disorganized and is easily
distracted.

4. Compared to most, my child has more difficulty
concentrating and paying attention.

5. My child will often stay occupied with a toy for
more than 10 minutes.

6. My child wanders away much more than I expected.

7. My child is much more active than I expected.

8. My child squirms and kicks a great deal when being
dressed or bathed.

9. My child can be easily distracted from wanting
something.

10. My child rarely does things for me that make me
feel good.

11. Most times I feel that my child likes me and wants
to be close to me.

12. Sometimes I feel that my child doesn't like me and
doesn't want to be close to me.

13. My child smiles at me much less than I expected.

14. When I do things for my child, I get the feeling
that my efforts are not appreciated very much.

FOR STATEMENT 15, CHOOSE A RESPONSE FROM CHOICES 1 TO
4 BELOW:

15. Which statement best describes your child?
1. almost always likes to play with me.
2. sometimes likes to play with me.
3. usually doesn't like to play with me.
4. almost never likes to play with me.

FOR STATEMENT 16, CHOOSE A RESONSE FROM CHOICES 1 TO 5
BELOW:

16. My child cries and fusses:
1. much less than I expected.
2. less than I expected
3. about as much as I expected
4. much more than I expected
5. it seems almost constant

17. My child seems to cry or fuss more often than most
children.

18. When playing, my child doesn't often giggle or
laugh.

19. My child generally wakes up in a bad mood.

20. I feel that my child is very moody and easily
upset.

21. My child looks a little different than I expected
and it bothers me at times.

22. In some areas, my child seems to have forgotten
past learnings and has gone back to doing things
characteristic of younger children.

23. My child doesn't seem to learn as quickly as most
children.

24. My child doesn't seem to smile as much as most
children.

25. My child does a few things which bother me a
great deal.

26. My child is not able to do as much as I expected.

27. My child does not like to be cuddled or touoched
very much.

28. When my child came home from the hospital, I had
doubtful feelings about my ability to handle being a
parent.

29. Being a parent is harder than I thought it would
be.

30. I feel capable and on top of things when I am
caring for my child.

31. Compared to the average child, my child has a
great deal of difficulty in getting used to changes in
schedules or changes around the house.

32. My child reacts very strongly when something
happens that my child doesn't like.

33. Leaving my child with a babysitter is usually a
problem.

34. My child gets upset easily over the smallest
thing.

35. My child easily notices and overracts to loud
sounds and bright lights.

36. My child's sleeping or eating schedule was much
harder to establish than I expected.

37. My child usually avoids a new toy for a while
before beginning to play with it.

38. It takes a long time and it is very hard for my
child to get used to new things.

39. My child doesn't seem comfortable when meeting
strangers.

FOR STATEMENT 40, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES 1 to 4 BELOW:

40. When upset, my child is:
1. easy to calm down
2. harder to calm down than I expected
3. very difficult to calm down
4. noting I do helps to calm my child

FOR STATEMENT 41, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES 1 to 5 BELOW:

41. I have found that getting my child to do something
or stop doing something is:
1. much harder than I expected
2. somewhat harder than I expected
3. about as hard as I expected
4. somewhat easier than I expected
5. much easier than I expected

FOR STATEMENT 42, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES 1 to 5 BELOW:

42. Think carefully and count the number of things
which your child does that bothers you. for example:
dawdles, refuses to listen, overactive, cries,
interrupts, fights, whines, etc. Please circle the
number which includes the number of things you
counted:
1. 1-3
2. 4-5
3. 6-7
4. 8-9
5. 10+

FOR STATEMENT 43, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES 1 - 5 BELOW:

43. When my child cries, it usually lasts:
1. less than 2 minutes
2. 2-5 minutes
3. 5-10 minutes
4. 10-15 minutes
5. more than 15 minutes

44. There are some things my child does that really
bother me a lot.

45. My child has had more health problems than I
expected.

46. As my child has grown older and become more
independent, I find myself more worried that my child
will get hurt or into trouble.

47. My child turned out to be more of a problem than I
had expected.

48. My child seems to be much harder to care for than
most.

49. My child is always hanging on me.

50. My child makes more demands on me than most
children.

51. I can't make decisions without help.

52. I have had many more problems raising children
than I expected.

53. I enjoy being a parent.

54. I feel that I am successful most of the time when
I try to get my child to do or not do something.

55. Since I brought my last child home from the
hospital, I find that I am not able to take care of
this child as well as I thought I could. I need help.

56. I often have the feeling that I cannot handle
things very well.

FOR STATEMENT 57, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES 1 to 5 BELOW:

57. When I think about myself as a parent I believe:
1. I can handle anything that happens
2. I can handle most things pretty well
3. sometimes I have my doubts, but find that I
handle most things without any problems.
4. I have some doubts about being able to handle
things.
5. I don't think I handle things very well at all.

FOR STATEMENT 58, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES 1 to 5 BELOW:

58. I feel that I am:
1. a very good parent
2. a better than average parent
3. an average parent
4. a person whohas some trouble being a parent
5. not very good at being a parent

FOR QUESTIONS 59 and 60, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES 1 to 5
BELOW:

59. What were the highest levels in school or college
you and child's father/mother have completed?
Mother:
1. 1st to 8th grade
2. 9th to 12th grade
3. vocational or some college
4. college graduate
5. graduate or professional school
Father:
1. 1st to 8th grade
2. 9th to 12th grade
3. vocational or some college
4. college graduate
5. graduate or professional school

FOR QUESTION 61, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES 1 to 5 BELOW:

61. How easy is it for you to understand what your
child wants of needs?
1. very easy
2. easy
3. somewhat difficult
4. it is very hard
5. I usually can't figure out what the problem is

62. It takes a long time for parents to develop close,
warm feelings for their children.

63. I expected to have closer and warmer feelings for
my child than I do and this bothers me.

64. Sometimes my child does things that bother me just
to be mean.

65. When I was young, I never felt comfortable holding
or taking care of children.

66. My child knows I am his or her parent and wants me
more than other people.

67. The number of children that I have now is too
many.

68. Most of my life is spent doing things for my
child.

69. I find myself giving up more of my life to meet my
children's needs than I ever expected.

70. I feel trapped by my responsibilities as a parent.

71. I often feel that my child's needs control my
life.

72. Since having this child, I have been unable to do
new and different things.

73. Since having a child, I feel that I am almost
never ablel to do things that I like to do.

74. It is hard to find a place in our home where I can
go to be by myself.

75. When I think about the kind of parent I am, I
often feel guilty or bad about myself.

76. I am unhappy with the last purchase of clothing I
made for myself.

77. When my child misbehaves or fusses too much, I
feel responsible, as if I didn't do something right.

78. I feel every time my child does something wrong,
it is really my fault.

79. I often feel guilty about the way I feel toward my
child.

80. There are quite a few things that bother me about
my life.

81. I felt sadder and more depressed than I expected
after leaving the hospital with my baby.

82. I wind up feeling guilty when I get angry at my
child and this bothers me.

83. After my child had been home from the hospital for
about a month, I noticed that I was feeling more sad
and depressed than I had expected.

84. Since having my child, my spouse (male/female
friend)has not given me as much help and support as
expected.

85. Having a child has caused more problems than I
expected in my relationship with my spouse
(male/female friend).

86. Since having a child, my spouse (or male/female
friend) andI don't do as many things together.

87. Since having a child, my spouse (or male/female
friend) and I don't spend as much time together as a
family as I had expected.

88. Since having my last child, I have had less
interest in sex.

89. Having a child seems to have increased the number
of problems we have with in-laws and relatives.

90. Having children has been much more expensive than
I had expected.

91. I feel alone and without friends.

92. When I go to a party, I usually expect not to
enjoy myself.

93. I am not as interested in people as I used to be.

94. I often have the feeling that other people my own
age don't particularly like my company.

95. When I run into a problem taking care of my
children, I have a lot of people to whom I can talk to
get help or advice.

96. Since having children, I have a lot fewer chances
to see my friends and to make new friends.

97. During the past six months, I have been sicker
than usual or have had more aches and pains than I
normally do.

98. Physically, I feel good most of the time.

99. Having a child has caused changes in the way I
sleep.

100.I don't enjoy things as I used to.

FOR STATEMENT 101, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES 1 to 4 BELOW:

101.Since I've had my child:
1. I have been sick a great deal
2. I haven't felt as good
3. I haven't noticed any change in my health
4. I have been healthier

STATEMENTS 102 to 120, CHOOSE FROM CHOICES Y for "Yes"
and N for "No."

During the last 12 months, have any of the following
events occurred in your immediate family?

102. Divorce

103. Marital reconciliation

104. Marriage

105. Separation

106. Pregnancy

107. Other relative moved into household

108. Income increased substantially (20% or more)

109. Went deeply into debt

110. Moved to a new location

111. Promotion at work

112. Income decreased substantially

113. Alcohol or drug problem

114. Death of close family friend

115. Began new job

116. Entered new school

117. Trouble with superiors at work

118. Trouble with teachers at school

119. Legal problems

120. Death of immediate family member
Old March 14th 04, 06:58 PM
Greg Hanson

Is this a fair way to Judge a parent?
Old March 15th 04, 03:05 AM

What would your suggestion be? If parental stress indicators aren't
relevent--then what??
Old March 15th 04, 04:03 PM
bobb

wrote in message
om...
What would your suggestion be? If parental stress indicators aren't
relevent--then what??

Stress is an ill-conceived idea. There are many who thrive on stress and
deliberity keep a busy schedule. As for myself, I've failed every stress
taken... those foolish little dittys in reader's diegest and the like. It's
one of those one-shoe-fits-all theories that hardly apply except when an
excuse or rationalization is needed to excuse, or justify, someone's
behavior.

For instance, single parents.. whatta hardship.. ohmygosh...we're supposed
to feel sorry for them..or at least admire them. Especially if they're
woman. Think real deep now. The single parent uses the child to excuse
their own behavior... and we make apoligies for them. Once again, kids are
being exploited.

I know lotsa single dads and moms who find their way quite sucessfully.. and
who don't need excuses..or sympathy.

bobb

Old March 15th 04, 10:30 PM
Greg Hanson

Who at a Child Protection agency is qualified and
bonded (malpractice) to interpret such a test?

It's Voo Doo.

Keep in mind that most CPS caseworkers are NOT
even licensed or qualified Social Workers.

If they WERE, they would quickly be aware that
even they are NOT qualified to interpret such
a survey, for doing so violates ethical code.

It's unethical for an unqualified person to
interpret such stuff, but they can "play dumb".

I would challenge you to prove any reliable
means for an unskilled, unqualified person
to predict human behavior.

With the education that CPS caseworkers have,
they might as well be reading tea leaves,
chicken entrails or astrological signs.

All of the pro-CPS defenses come up because
you people know that such instruments are
unethical garbage.
Old March 16th 04, 06:10 PM
Kane

(Greg Hanson) wrote in message . com...
Who at a Child Protection agency is qualified and
bonded (malpractice) to interpret such a test?

It's Voo Doo.

Keep in mind that most CPS caseworkers are NOT
even licensed or qualified Social Workers.

That is correct. The public won't pay for them.

If they WERE, they would quickly be aware that
even they are NOT qualified to interpret such
a survey, for doing so violates ethical code.

Licensed "qualified" as in MSWs, social workers would not be qualified
to to interpret a stess survey? Odd, they are not only allowed to it
is part of their job and they are recognized as such by insurance
companies they may bill directly for services to clients.

Where do you get such odd information?

It's unethical for an unqualified person to
interpret such stuff, but they can "play dumb".

Well, if MSWs are "qualified" how can they be unqualified?

And the "stuff" comes with scoring guidelines, as a package. You've
never actually seen psychological testing instruments, have you?

They are not "interpreted" they are scored, for the most part and the
scores are then interpreted by psychologists and psychiatrists...if
they need to be. Low scores usually aren't looked at, since they don't
indicate a preeminent issue.

I would challenge you to prove any reliable
means for an unskilled, unqualified person
to predict human behavior.

Well, let me see. I'll give it a try.

How about an unskilled unqualified person deciding that a child losses
bladder control in defiance of the caregiver and can be made to stop
that defiance by punishment without unwanted side effects?

How about an unskilled unqualified person teaching others how to spank
so as to control the future behavior of children?

With the education that CPS caseworkers have,
they might as well be reading tea leaves,
chicken entrails or astrological signs.

With the education some parents, and some gigolos have they might as
well be palm readers.

Actually most states have fairly extensive training both preservice
and ongoing for caseworkers. Training budgets for the past five years
have been being cut drastically though.

Makes the quality of trainers go down too.

Do you think by cutting budgets to the point CPS becomes less
effective it proves that CPS is at fault and should be dismantled?

Reforms usually come with funding to support the reform.

All of the pro-CPS defenses come up because
you people know that such instruments are
unethical garbage.

Well, I believe I posted a long list of "instruments" by citation of a
search. Are you prepared to tell the social scientists they are wrong
and you are right?

http://tinyurl.com/3bqjf

Are you prepared to argue that stress is not a factor in performance?
Interesting that the military disagrees with you, and the medical
profession recognizes stress as being a significant health factor in
organ functioning.

Tools for measuring stress are very old and very well tested by
impirical evidence.

Even biorythms, a late arrival on the scene, have been so thoroughly
tested that governments use them to predict and control risk losses.
Pilots, taxi drivers, and others with jobs where public safety is a
factor, are dispatched with stress/performance/risk testing outcomes
in mind. And it REDUCES loss.

Ask the Japanese government and Germany for that matter.

YOu are a pontificating spouting little narcissistic puke involved in
this ng for the sole purpose of attracting attention to yourself as
surely as children "misbehave" to get attention....only with them it's
normal and healthy usually.

You have used a child, stolen from her actually, to further and
enhance your own pathologies when you, and she, and her mother would
be better off if you went and surrendered yourself to a battery of
tests and the attendant treatments....though narcissists usually go to
their grave uncured, a burden and severe cost to most who come in
contact with them.

If they have extraordinary talents sometimes, as with Picasso, the
contribution they make to society is worth it, while in other
instances, all they do is stick to the furniture they plant themselves
on while hoping to attract swirls of attention by actions such as you
posting here.

Usenet, and the Internet in general, is, by allowing an outlet that
makes the sick sicker by unfettered exercise of their pathology, a
burden to humanity...but then it does have some social payoff, so we
put up with you.

Get out of that home. It's not yours. It, and the mother there, belong
to the little girl. Not you, you sick ****.

Kane
Old March 16th 04, 07:02 PM
Kane

On 16 Mar 2004 13:44:38 GMT, (Fern5827) wrote:

Greg sent in and this bears repeating:

From:
(Greg Hanson)
Date: 3/15/2004 4:30 PM Eastern Standard Time
Who at a Child Protection agency is qualified and
bonded (malpractice) to interpret such a test?

It's Voo Doo.

Keep in mind that most CPS caseworkers are NOT
even licensed or qualified Social Workers.

If they WERE, they would quickly be aware that
even they are NOT qualified to interpret such
a survey, for doing so violates ethical code.

It's unethical for an unqualified person to
interpret such stuff, but they can "play dumb".

I would challenge you to prove any reliable
means for an unskilled, unqualified person
to predict human behavior.

With the education that CPS caseworkers have,
they might as well be reading tea leaves,
chicken entrails or astrological signs.

All of the pro-CPS defenses come up because
you people know that such instruments are
unethical garbage.

As a matter of fact, the most vaunted psychological test the MMPI, is

really
only meant for a very small subset of folks.

Oh? Which "subset" is that, Sage?

It has been extended, contrary to the group it is normed for to all

sorts of
really unusual uses. Custody evaluators, for example.

A citation please? And who or what are "custody evaluators?"

the MMPI is not administered by CPS caseworkers. Why would you bring
it up in this discussion?

It may be administered to a client, but only by qualified
practitioners.

Possibly you are mistaken, Melon?

http://www.healthpsych.com/testing.html

MMPI-2™
(Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory™ Second Edition)

The advantage of the MMPI-2 is that it is the most used and most
researched psychological test in the world. As it is approaching 60
years of age, the body of literature available on it is enormous. It
is also an instrument with which most psychologists have had specific
training. A particular strength of the MMPI-2 is its measures of
validity. When there is a question about patient motivation, or
patient tendencies to minimize or magnify their symptom report, the
MMPI-2 has great strength. The MMPI-2 features printouts adapted for
use with chronic pain or general medical patients.

The MMPI-2 was developed with psychiatric patients, not medical
patients. Although a great deal of research has been done with the
MMPI-2 in various medical conditions, when the MMPI is administered to
persons with medical disorders, interpretation becomes more difficult
( Naliboff, B. D., Cohen, M. J., Yellenan; 1982). The experienced
examiner is able to make corrections for this, but nevertheless this
has been seen by some as a weakness.

A disadvantage of the MMPI-2 is its length. At 567 items, it is the
longest of all commonly used personality inventories.

For more information or to purchase (voice): 1-800-627-7271

Qualifications to purchase: Licensed psychologist or graduate degree
in psychology and psychometric training

......so, Plant, has you anything to say, other than "I'm" "stalking"
"you?" R R R R R

Kane
Old March 21st 04, 12:22 AM
Greg Hanson

Kane: are you unqualified or unethical or both?
Old March 21st 04, 04:46 AM
Dan Sullivan

"Greg Hanson" wrote in message
om...

Kane: are you unqualified or unethical or both?

Greg, how would you describe yourself?