Now see

Old October 28th 04, 05:58 PM
Karen O'Mara

Cele wrote in message . ..
Heh. I found out I was allergic to sodium pentathol, the general
anaesthetic of the time, when they had to jump start my heart and I
woke up with (another) red allergy band on my wrist.

Isn't sodium pentathol the 'truth serum?'

Karen
Old October 28th 04, 09:49 PM

"Karen O'Mara" wrote in message
m...

Isn't sodium pentathol the 'truth serum?'

Karen

Yes. The total history I am unsure of. From what I recall, the FBI supposedly
used it for interviewing suspects. I think what they prolly got was babble.
hehe.

Old October 28th 04, 10:15 PM
Betsy

"V" wrote in message

"Karen O'Mara" wrote in message
m...

Isn't sodium pentathol the 'truth serum?'

Karen

Yes. The total history I am unsure of. From what I recall, the FBI
supposedly
used it for interviewing suspects. I think what they prolly got was
babble.
hehe.

Actually, many anesthetics in small doses provide a "truth serum" effect.
Basically in small doses parts of the brain are asleep, and therefore one is
more open to suggestion. Which is why any patient having been given a mind
altering medication, including narcotic pain medication, should not be
allowed to sign a consent form for any treatment. I know when I went for my
gall bladder surgery, they gave me some Versed to relax me in the beginning,
then told my friend that accompanied me that this was the time for him to
ask me questions he wanted the truth about. Something to think about when
going for surgery. You talk about things that you don't remember.

Betsy

Old November 2nd 04, 09:00 PM
Karen O'Mara

"V" wrote in message ...
Are they not the ugliest thing?
Someone should make pretty ones.
Pink, in fact!
I have a severe latex allergy, and I make sure all medical personnel know it.
I know I do not want another reaction to that stuff! It is in everything too.
Bleh!

I recently saw a medic-alert tag that can be worn on a watchband that
looked real nice... sort of like a charm. It was gold. Want me to see
if I can find out more what it is?...

Karen
Old November 2nd 04, 11:08 PM

"Karen O'Mara" wrote in message
om...
"V" wrote in message

Are they not the ugliest thing?
Someone should make pretty ones.
Pink, in fact!
I have a severe latex allergy, and I make sure all medical personnel know

it.
I know I do not want another reaction to that stuff! It is in everything

too.
Bleh!

I recently saw a medic-alert tag that can be worn on a watchband that
looked real nice... sort of like a charm. It was gold. Want me to see
if I can find out more what it is?...

Karen

Please! Yes!
I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Old November 3rd 04, 11:00 AM
Moon Shyne

"V" wrote in message

Are they not the ugliest thing?
Someone should make pretty ones.
Pink, in fact!
I have a severe latex allergy, and I make sure all medical personnel know

it.
I know I do not want another reaction to that stuff! It is in everything

too.
Bleh!

I recently saw a medic-alert tag that can be worn on a watchband that
looked real nice... sort of like a charm. It was gold. Want me to see
if I can find out more what it is?...

Yes please - I hate these bracelets! Saw a reasonably nice looking one for a
reasonable price at Wal-Mart, but the smallest wrist size they offered was 7.5"
which is big enough to slide off - and it wasn't adjustable to make it smaller
sigh

Think I should add "Klutz" at the bottom, in case I fall and break something?

Karen

Old November 3rd 04, 12:20 PM
Betsy

"V" wrote in message

[...]

My medic alert charm is on a necklace. I don't wear the bracelet because I
work with patients, many of them children, and the watch (and engagement
ring now) is bad enough to worry about scratching people. The chain is long
enough I wear it in my shirt, no one can pull at it (unless it's out in the
open) and most paramedics check bracelets and necklaces. An option for
those of you who can't find a bracelet to fit. I had mine custom made, for
less than Medic Alert costs. The rest of my info is on a card in my wallet,
so at least they can look for it when they see my tag saying "Diabetic,
Insulin pump." Hopefully get my new pump soon as well, updated card and
programming info. All nice things to have when the chance of serious
complications is simply minutes or hours away. Just thought I'd share a
little info for ya!

Betsy

Old November 3rd 04, 05:13 PM
Karen O'Mara

"V" wrote in message ...
I recently saw a medic-alert tag that can be worn on a watchband that
looked real nice... sort of like a charm. It was gold. Want me to see
if I can find out more what it is?...

Karen

Please! Yes!
I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Here's one...

http://www.id-technology.com/mediband.htm

But, you know, just thinking out loud, maybe some of the i.d.
bracelets made of gold or silver can be engraved with medical
information?...

qvc.com, hsn.com, ashford.com, ice.com have them maybe.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more ideas.

Karen
Old November 3rd 04, 10:10 PM
Karen O'Mara

"Betsy" wrote in message news:f24id.6480$wP1.4193@trnddc09...

My medic alert charm is on a necklace. I don't wear the bracelet because I
work with patients, many of them children, and the watch (and engagement
ring now) is bad enough to worry about scratching people. The chain is long
enough I wear it in my shirt, no one can pull at it (unless it's out in the
open) and most paramedics check bracelets and necklaces. An option for
those of you who can't find a bracelet to fit. I had mine custom made, for
less than Medic Alert costs. The rest of my info is on a card in my wallet,
so at least they can look for it when they see my tag saying "Diabetic,
Insulin pump." Hopefully get my new pump soon as well, updated card and
programming info. All nice things to have when the chance of serious
complications is simply minutes or hours away. Just thought I'd share a
little info for ya!

I saw on the diabetes newsgroup that sometimes people wear both, in
case they lose one in an accident (they were motorcycle riders). And,
another one posted that she designed her own "diamonds and gold"
bracelet, with the international medic alert symbol on it, and the
allergies and medical condition engraved on the inside. It sounded
dang fancy.

Karen
Old November 3rd 04, 10:46 PM
Betsy

"Betsy" wrote in message

[...]

This was actually done by a jeweler. It has the medic alert symbol on the
front, and on the back is engraved "Diabetic, Insulin pump." This way if I
am ever found unconscious, at least they'll know what to check first...I
would hope! It's on a nice strong silver rope chain, not too big, so it
looks rather elegant, without the charm showing. Not that I mind, but I
don't particularly like people coming up and grabbing at my chain to see the
charm, so I keep it tucked in. I have a problem with people and my neck,
sometimes get flashbacks, but that's another story. I really like the way
this turned out because it's good quality. Some of the less expensive medic
alert tags tarnish easily. No use in losing the finish because it sometimes
takes the engraving with it. Had that happen once too. Hopefully this one
will last a long time. It's an expense worth investing in for sure!

Betsy