University...

Old August 17th 05, 11:57 AM
Kim

Default University...

Ok so battle stations... We have been having much discussion on what the new
university student needs... I made a list of what I have already purchased
and what I intend on purchasing and *someone* not my son found it... He
proceeded to tee hee and haw haw...

I made up packages for him I mean really doesn't every new university
student need a first aid kit? Should they not have Tylenol, cough medicine,
Band-Aids and a thermometer? I thought that was a dandy thing to create for
the heathen... I also got him a laundry basket with all the 'needful' items
(soap, softener - quarters)... As well as a school supply box which had
loose-leaf, pens, paper, erasers, a printer, a mouse for his laptop,
calculator, report covers, batteries, head phones, a couple of mom's CD's
then there's the cleaning thingy I got him... LOL it's a zip lock bag with
moist pledge sheets, swifter handle and wipes, premoistened window/mirror
cleaner... Ummm then there's the personal hygiene box --- ummmmm ok maybe I
did go over board -- many deodorants, body soaps, shampoos razor blades,
shaving creams, tooth brushes and tooth pastes...

OK FINE sue me! He's my first to go to university, hopefully not the last!
Wonder what he will say as he reads all the notes I left him LOL I also
created a "DO NOT" list (as a joke)... You know -- DO NOT get into a car
with a stranger unless they offer you candy first... that kinda thing...

OH OH OH and my favourite of all items!!! A journal! I got him a fancy
shmancy journal so he can write about his university experiences!

Ummmmm DID I go over board? Can you think of anything else that he might
need?

Kim

Old August 17th 05, 12:03 PM
Moon Shyne

"Kim" wrote in message
[...]

First aid kit's a great idea, but you KNOW he'll never use the thermometer.
And don't get too carried away, cause there'll be an infirmary on campus.

Laundry stuff, good idea too - throw in a roll of quarters, cause he'll need
those too, in all likelihood.

Blank envelopes and stamps? Depending on how far away he is, these might be
useful.

You may have gone a little overboard on the cleaning stuff - there are the
cannisters with wipes in 'em - get one all purpose and call it a day -
unless you have a real neat freak on your hands, he's not too likely to
spend a whole lot of time cleaning.

What about one of those gift cards for the local grocery store (if
available) - cause college food is really awful.

Pre-paid phone card isn't a bad idea either...

And one of those small cube shaped refrigerators - it can double as a table
top in a dorm room, but there isn't anything like an ice cold [fill in the
blank] ...

Kim

Old August 17th 05, 01:08 PM
Cele

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:57:09 GMT, "Kim"
claimed:

Ummmmm DID I go over board?

Heh. 'Course, and why not? More power to you!

Can you think of anything else that he might
need?

Condoms. [ducking and running]

Cele, mom to college students D, 20, & T, 17...stepmom to
Pete, 11
Old August 18th 05, 11:43 AM
Kim

"Moon Shyne" wrote in message

"Kim" wrote in message
[...]

Hehehe well he will if he calls me and says "mom I don't feel well" LOL

And don't get too carried away, cause there'll be an infirmary on campus.

Laundry stuff, good idea too - throw in a roll of quarters, cause he'll

need
those too, in all likelihood.

Blank envelopes and stamps? Depending on how far away he is, these might

be
useful.

We live in NS and he's going to NB... That's why we got him a lap top...
It's internet ready so atleast he'll be able to communicate if needed -- we
use that MSN messenger and I have it at work as well so he can touch base
that way... Calling card is a must though... I think someone said that at
work yesterday...

You may have gone a little overboard on the cleaning stuff - there are the
cannisters with wipes in 'em - get one all purpose and call it a day -
unless you have a real neat freak on your hands, he's not too likely to
spend a whole lot of time cleaning.

Well I was hoping he'd turn into a cleaning freak to some extent lol when he
does clean tho he's very thourough! LOL

What about one of those gift cards for the local grocery store (if
available) - cause college food is really awful.

I was thinking that... along with a few pizza shop coupons etc....

Pre-paid phone card isn't a bad idea either...

LOL see you thought of it too
And one of those small cube shaped refrigerators - it can double as a

table
top in a dorm room, but there isn't anything like an ice cold [fill in the
blank] ...

They have access to beverages 24/7 on the plan he's got... If not I have a
feeling I know what I'll get him for Xmas LOL

Thanks for the support and more ideas... As the day gets closer I get more
frazzled and he gets calmer LOL wierd!

Kim

Old August 18th 05, 11:49 AM
Kim

"Cele" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:57:09 GMT, "Kim"
claimed:

Ummmmm DID I go over board?

Heh. 'Course, and why not? More power to you!

Thank you!

Can you think of anything else that he might
need?

Condoms. [ducking and running]

OMG YOU ARE WONDERFUL! OF COURSE!!! How could *I* forget those! Thanks!

Cele, mom to college students D, 20, & T, 17...stepmom to Pete, 11

Writting this on the list... Underlining 4 TIMES! CONDOMS! sheesh I'm
stunned!

Stunned mom... I'm not ready to be a Gran I need to grow up more!

Kim

Old August 19th 05, 11:09 AM
Kim

Ahhhhhhh see I knew you guys would come up with some wonderful ideas! The
condoms are brilliant!

The assignment book as well is a good plan and already having the phone
numbers at his fingertips is one I'd not thought of either!

Thanks guys!

Old August 25th 05, 05:56 AM
Cele

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:44:44 GMT, "Kim"
claimed:

"'Kate" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:50:57 GMT, "Kim" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

Top Posting because I CAN... SEVEN MORE SLEEPS... I'm not going to
survive!!!

I can't imagine. I'm taking the chicken way out. My son's registered at
a local college. He starts Monday too. Here's to their success!

'Kate

I KNOW KATE I KNOW and I TRiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeed to get him to go to the
local college for the first year... He wasn't having any of it LOL --
Nothing but success is what I'm hoping for it's just really traumatizing for
me LOL and I can't let him know that *grin*
He'd think I was a total marOOn *grin*

Heh. My younger daughter is starting college next month and
moving back home next week. I'm glad she's going to be here.
My elder daughter went 3000 miles away before coming home, &
now lives up the road. They do come back, one way or
another. At least, they seem to around here.....

Now to find a school for Pete. That's next week's project.

Cele
Old August 25th 05, 07:44 AM
CME

"Kim" wrote in message

"'Kate" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:50:57 GMT, "Kim" the
following was posted in blue dry erase marker:

Top Posting because I CAN... SEVEN MORE SLEEPS... I'm not going to
survive!!!

I can't imagine. I'm taking the chicken way out. My son's registered at
a local college. He starts Monday too. Here's to their success!

'Kate

I KNOW KATE I KNOW and I TRiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeed to get him to go to the
local college for the first year... He wasn't having any of it LOL --
Nothing but success is what I'm hoping for it's just really traumatizing
for me LOL and I can't let him know that *grin*
He'd think I was a total marOOn *grin*

I'm afraid I missed where he's headed to...

Christine