Got my first "request" to nurse DD under a blanket

Old December 9th 07, 03:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Got my first "request" to nurse DD under a blanket

I guess I should consider myself lucky, as DD is 17 months and until
now, have never really had any issues with NIP. I'm reasonably
discreet but don't go out of my way to hide myself. DD is big enough
that she covers me completely, although it's more obvious now what
she's doing.

We were in Quiznos sandwich shop, which was empty except for one
worker who was clearly peeved we interupted her I guess, because she
was rude from the start. DH and I had walked in while DD was nursing -
no sling. I was just walking with her across my chest. *Her* skin was
showing as her shirt was all pushed up in back, but none of my skin.
(It was 80F outside)

After the worker made the first part of our sandwiches, grumbling all
along, and I walked over to a table to sit, she snottily said "Can you
cover that up with a blanket!" (very much a demand, not a request)
Dumbfounded I said just said No (DH started looking for one, but there
was none in the bag, not that it would have mattered). I just said
"No, she's eating." She snapped back "It's too much. I can see
everything. Please cover THAT up."

So I said "Fine, we'll leave." Left her the sandwiches unpaid and
walked out.
Of course we were starving....but home wasn't far away.

It wasn't like there was anyone else in the place potentially
bothered, nor was it like you could see *any* skin whatsoever on me.
I'm not sure if she had asked politely if I would have complied - or
at least considered it (except DD would NEVER tolerate a blanket over
her). This woman was incredibly rude from the start.

Oh well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later.
Old December 10th 07, 12:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On Dec 8, 6:45 pm, cjra wrote:
no sling. I was just walking with her across my chest. *Her* skin was
showing as her shirt was all pushed up in back, but none of my skin.
(It was 80F outside)

After the worker made the first part of our sandwiches, grumbling all
along, and I walked over to a table to sit, she snottily said "Can you
cover that up with a blanket!" (very much a demand, not a request)
Dumbfounded I said just said No (DH started looking for one, but there
was none in the bag, not that it would have mattered). I just said
"No, she's eating." She snapped back "It's too much. I can see
everything. Please cover THAT up."

I'm sorry you went through that. I think you live in a state where a
mother legally has the right to breastfeed her baby wherever she would
normally have the right to be. I'd consider complaining to the
Quisnos management.

So I said "Fine, we'll leave." Left her the sandwiches unpaid and
walked out.
Of course we were starving....but home wasn't far away.

It wasn't like there was anyone else in the place potentially
bothered, nor was it like you could see *any* skin whatsoever on me.
I'm not sure if she had asked politely if I would have complied - or
at least considered it (except DD would NEVER tolerate a blanket over
her). This woman was incredibly rude from the start.

Oh well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

Though we don't have as much legal protection, I think I live in a
much more breastfeeding friendly area. In 9 years of nursing
experience with my children, I have never been asked to cover up. If
I went into our local Quisnos and had an experience like that I would
be completely shocked.

--Betsy
Old December 12th 07, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On Dec 9, 5:58 pm, betsy wrote:
On Dec 8, 6:45 pm, cjra wrote:

[...]

I understand about the covering up when i first started breastfeeding
my first child my mom was always bugging me about covering up in front
of people so I just started covering up in front of her to keep her
mouth shut
Old December 18th 07, 03:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CY[_2_]

"cjra" wrote in message
*Her* skin was showing as her shirt was all pushed up in back, but none of
my skin.
(It was 80F outside)

She snapped back "It's too much. I can see everything. Please cover THAT
up."

WTF? I HATE this kind of attitude. It's one thing if you are showing your
entire breast but when nothing is showing, it's a ridiculous request that
shows that the person asking has issues with WHAT you are doing, not what
they can see. I would make a VERY strong complaint to Quiznos HQ. Aren't
you in AZ? If so, you are completely protected to nurse wherever you want
to and this person was breaking the law by asking you to cover up. I would
go directly to management - this was out of line. She deserves to get fired
anyway for treating customers in a rude manner, regardless of what the issue
was. Let us know, and if you get a bad response, let me know and I'll make
sure never to go there again and write to tell them why YOU GO GIRL!