After school activities for 6yr old

Old September 28th 08, 01:13 AM posted to misc.kids
Ericka

Default After school activities for 6yr old

Dad wrote:
Ericka wrote:
Dad wrote:

If you elect music, however, be careful that whatever you
choose is really developmentally appropriate and that the
teacher is experienced with kids his age.

I know very little about music. My boy wants to take guitar lessons,
is that not appropriate for a 6yr old? I just think, he likes it because
he watched too much wiggle.

It could be fine with the right teacher. You'd
need someone who was experienced working with his age
group. Someone who generally works with older kids but
was willing to take on your son would probably not be a
good idea, as you have to approach the teaching differently.
Sometimes the best bet for younger children, especially if
they're not really ready for the discipline of private
lessons and regular practice, is a general music class
that gives them experience with rhythms and melodies and
movement and whatnot in a kid-friendly way. Those can
provide a great foundation for later formal lessons, and
be a lot of fun to boot. Some kids are ready for formal
lessons early, but if you push a child too early
(especially with instruction that isn't appropriate to
their developmental level) you can put them right off
music all together.
Others here are more expert in specific methods
that might be appropriate. My boys didn't start formal
music lessons until a bit later (3rd grade for piano,
then added a band instrument in 5th grade). They've been
dancing since 5 and 3 years old, however, and have loved
that.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 28th 08, 01:33 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

There is a Suzuki guitar method for young children, which might be worth
looking at. We don't offer it at the University Prep program here, so I
don't know much about it. I know that Suzuki violin and piano both move
pretty slowly and aren't very "wiggly", so I'd definitely sit in on a lesson
or two before signing your child up.

I have taught group guitar classes, and I've found that most children get
very frustrated with the chording and simply don't have the finger strength
and coordination before about 4th grade. I do currently include Dulcimer in
my group class for 6-7 yr olds, as a beginning string instrument, which
doesn't require the same level of coordination or strength (both because
you're only pressing one string at a time and because you use a noter to do
so), and that might be a direction to look in.

Old September 28th 08, 05:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

Donna Metler wrote:
There is a Suzuki guitar method for young children, which might be worth
looking at. We don't offer it at the University Prep program here, so I
don't know much about it. I know that Suzuki violin and piano both move
pretty slowly and aren't very "wiggly", so I'd definitely sit in on a lesson
or two before signing your child up.

I have taught group guitar classes, and I've found that most children get
very frustrated with the chording and simply don't have the finger strength
and coordination before about 4th grade. I do currently include Dulcimer in
my group class for 6-7 yr olds, as a beginning string instrument, which
doesn't require the same level of coordination or strength (both because
you're only pressing one string at a time and because you use a noter to do
so), and that might be a direction to look in.

Thanks, I did some googling, there is a Suzuki center in our city but it
is halfway across town. There is a Yamaha music academy close by; you
are right they give guitar lessons to kids older than 10. Do you know
anything about Yamaha system?
Old September 28th 08, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Dad[_2_]

Ericka wrote:
Dad wrote:
Ericka wrote:
Dad wrote:

If you elect music, however, be careful that whatever you
choose is really developmentally appropriate and that the
teacher is experienced with kids his age.

I know very little about music. My boy wants to take guitar lessons,
is that not appropriate for a 6yr old? I just think, he likes it because
he watched too much wiggle.

It could be fine with the right teacher. You'd
need someone who was experienced working with his age
group. Someone who generally works with older kids but
was willing to take on your son would probably not be a
good idea, as you have to approach the teaching differently.

Thanks for the tip, the teacher that we met said, he does not have kids
as young as my son, but he was willing to take him.
Old September 28th 08, 06:04 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Dad" wrote in message
Donna Metler wrote:
[...]

Yamaha is a pretty standard traditional method-one which teaches music
reading and playing simultaneously. It would be a good fit for older
children, but probably not for a 6 yr old.

Old September 28th 08, 10:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Dad wrote:
Ericka wrote:
Dad wrote:

If you elect music, however, be careful that whatever you
choose is really developmentally appropriate and that the
teacher is experienced with kids his age.

I know very little about music. My boy wants to take guitar lessons,
is that not appropriate for a 6yr old? I just think, he likes it because
he watched too much wiggle.

My daughter wanted guitar lessons from a similar age, but the guitar
teacher we spoke to said not to start until she was 8yo. We started her
on piano lessons - partly because her big sis was doing that - and
changed to guitar when she was 8yo.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old September 30th 08, 10:03 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:26:16 -0600, Dad wrote:

How many times per week do you send your grade 1 kid to after school
activities?

Well, why do I ask?

I've put my son in minor hockey, the season will start next week. It is
twice a week, i.e. 2 hours a week. He still takes skating lessons, that
is once a week. Am I crazy to put him in one more activity?

My granddaughter does swimming once a week and gymnastics once a week.
Each of these classes go 1 hour.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits