green poop

Old April 30th 07, 04:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KB

Default green poop

My son is 2 months tomorrow. His poop is a bright green. I don't remember if
this is normal. This is my second time breastfeeding.
Kris

Old April 30th 07, 08:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On Apr 30, 8:57 am, "KB" wrote:
My son is 2 months tomorrow. His poop is a bright green. I don't remember if
this is normal. This is my second time breastfeeding.
Kris

Generally breastfed baby poop tends to be more mustard colored when it
comes out of the baby. If the poop sits in a diaper for a while, it
turns green. Sometimes bright green poop comes out of a baby. Poop
can vary. If he is happy and growing well and the green poop is an
occasional thing, it is probably OK.

If his poop is always bright green or if he is uncomfortable or not
growing well, you may have a situation you want to change. Green
watery poop all the time, combined with poor weight gain can be a sign
of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. If this is the case, he may be
getting more of the foremilk and less of the hindmilk than he needs.
Having him nurse longer on one side before switching can help him get
more hind milk.

Green poop can also be a sign that he is sensitive to something in
your diet.

Some colors of foods naturally lead to green poop. My kids would get
bright green poop whenever I ate purple foods, particularly berries.
Since mine got diaper rash from the green poop, I cut out the purple
foods for the first few months. They could handle me eating purple
foods as they got bigger.

--Betsy

Old May 1st 07, 02:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Apr 30, 10:57 am, "KB" wrote:
My son is 2 months tomorrow. His poop is a bright green. I don't remember if
this is normal. This is my second time breastfeeding.
Kris

Ah, I asked a very similar question about that age. I got a range of
answers from 'very normal' to 'could be a virus.'

Basically, green poop is within the range of normal, however
consistent green poop could be a sign of infection or maybe a food
allergy. Is it watery? Is texture/consistency the same as his yellow/
mustard poops? Does he act sick? Lethargic? Is he feverish? Is he
eating well?

Old May 1st 07, 06:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KB

When his poops turned green he was very gassy and pooping a lot more than
usual. He was exploding. I thought maybe it was all the chocolate I was
eating the day before. My kids have food allergies so I am not eating any
gluten, nuts, peanuts, and dairy. His poops are going back to normal today.
I wonder if it was something I ate. I hate trying to guess. The last time I
nursed I had to eliminate eggs and dairy. My son would actually get hives
from my milk.
Someone said green poop could mean a hernia.He is growing very good though.
Kris
"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old May 1st 07, 08:02 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On May 1, 12:09 pm, "KB" wrote:
When his poops turned green he was very gassy and pooping a lot more than
usual. He was exploding. I thought maybe it was all the chocolate I was
eating the day before. My kids have food allergies so I am not eating any
gluten, nuts, peanuts, and dairy. His poops are going back to normal today.
I wonder if it was something I ate. I hate trying to guess. The last time I
nursed I had to eliminate eggs and dairy. My son would actually get hives
from my milk.
Someone said green poop could mean a hernia.He is growing very good though.

I can't eat chocolate. DD gets super gassy and miserable when I do. I
can have one small piece with little effect, but no more. Neither DH
nor I have any food allergies (nor does anyone in our families). I
don't think the chocolate is causing an allergy in her, just making
her miserable.

So it may be the chocolate for you as well. I don't recall her poops
being particularly green then, just the gas/pains. but that could be
an effect. Try not having chocolate (it's easy for me, as I'm not much
of a chocoholic anyway.

Green poop? cjra Breastfeeding 6 July 26th 06 05:38 PM
Green poop and milk issue Andrea Breastfeeding 3 September 4th 03 10:53 PM
New Mom Question: What does Green Poop mean? Karen Askey General 6 August 14th 03 03:03 PM
green poop jake's mom Breastfeeding 2 July 12th 03 11:27 PM
Green poop for over a week Astromum Breastfeeding 2 July 10th 03 06:16 AM