also underweight

Old May 3rd 07, 04:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
determined

Default also underweight

"xkatx" wrote in message news:Jrc_h.158$Vi6.67@edtnps82...

"determined" wrote in message
. ..
So Emily was diagnosed with asthma yesterday. My husband had taken her
to the doctor, and after he told me that she had asthma, I was busy
processing that. Later he told me she has also dropped 2 lbs in the alst
6 weeks. She has been on or below the 5th percentile since about 2
months, but maintained the appropriate growth curve. Now she is not.
The doc didn't seem overly concerned, but here we are at 17 months and
back down to 20 lbs from 22lbs. I am concerned.

The doctor indicated that the asthma may be allergy induced, because she
also suffers from terrible rashes whenever in a different environment -
grass, someone else's home, etc. She gets diaper rashes very easily too.
I am busy googling and reading as much as I can, to better understand all
of this. But I am not exactly sure where to turn next. Are there
specific blood tests I should ask for?

As far as getting her weight up, what are the best tactics? She eats
almost anything, just in really small quantities.

I have no real advice to offer, but I don't think that 22lbs for a 17
month old is really that under weight...

Well, 22 isn't, but she dropped back down to 20.

Old May 3rd 07, 05:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Well, 22 isn't, but she dropped back down to 20.

but she dropped due to an identifiable illness, even for our DS who is
almost 4 and a lot more underweight for age than your DD, the doctor wasn't
concerned about weight loss from an illness, that happens, she just wanted
to check again in a month to see if he's gaining it back. It's so hard to
know, is a child just small, or are they really underweight because
something is upsetting their system, know one can really make a judgement on
that other than you, even the doctor doesn't see them at home, but if she's
happy and developing well in other ways, I'd be inclined to leave it for a
while see if the asthma is just temporary as a reaction to an illness. If
the asthma sticks around, I would dig around, but it isn't really going to
mattter if you weight a while, particularly with summer and less bugs coming
up. You might consider a DHA supplement to ensure she's getting enough of
the good stuff for brain development, if it would make you happier - we've
just started this for our kids.

Anne

Old May 3rd 07, 07:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

determined skrev:
[...]

When her asthma is properly treated her weight and height will most
likely go up by itself. If she doesn't get enough oxygen it's difficult
to grow.

Icecream? Avocado? Many small meals?

Tine, Ditmar

Old May 3rd 07, 07:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

determined skrev:
Well, 22 isn't, but she dropped back down to 20.

It's only a 10 percent weight loss. Not much during an illness.

Not to worry - I have a perfectly healthy - although skinny -
nearly-10-yo that only weighs 22 kg (48 pounds?)

Look at the bright side - you'll never have to deny your child certain
food items that's too fatty (as I've had to do with my eldest - imagine
cooking for a family with a chubby and a skinny child)

Tine, Denmark
Old May 3rd 07, 11:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

"determined" wrote in message
As far as getting her weight up, what are the best tactics? She eats
almost anything, just in really small quantities.

It could be from the illness. Try not to worry about it, but be conscious in
feeding higher fat foods to her. DD1 was and is still very underweight and
when she got sick would drop weight, but in the larger scheme of things, she
would gain it back once she got better.

Sue