Ugh. DS, the accident waiting to happen...

Old September 8th 08, 07:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Default Ugh. DS, the accident waiting to happen...

It's lunch time - shortly after 12:30 here right now.
I just rushed to get DDs fed some lunch after a quick trip to Walmart for
some groceries. Let's just say that in itself is not a fun experience for
any of us any time. Today was no exception. Both girls get miserable and
tired. I suppose it didn't help that DD1 was up with the birds, as usual,
and being a royal PITA and woke DD2 up, as usual.
I got DS up and ready and on the school bus, got DDs up and alive. Then we
went to Walmart. Then we came home - I actually bee lined it home for a
quick lunch of soup and these mozza stick things. Both girls finished
(although DD1 didn't care much about eating and DD2 finished off half of
DD1's remaining soup) and both girls went down for a much needed nap. DD2,
as always, went down very well. DD1, OTOH, played around for about 10 mins
before silence was in the house. I sat down to relax and about 10 mins
later the phone rings. I see it's DS's school. I'm thinking, "Oh, oops,
did that form need to go back already?" or even better, "How great, DS is
either in trouble for something or he's sick" (DS doesn't really have any
issues at school - his teachers have all said he's fantastic, there's never
been a real issue to date. I'm also remembering that the school tends to
call parents fairly often for "sick" kids... He's not feeling well... He
says his head hurts and he wants to go home... - to which I reply to call me
back and I'll pick him right away if he a) has a fever b) is bleeding and a
band aid won't fix it c) is throwing up - otherwise if he's just not feeling
well, he's going to have to lay down at the school and wait until I'm able
to pick him up)
Ok, so, I answer the phone, it's the school's secretary. She said that DS
wiped out at school and smashed into a pole playing outside. She said he
has a massive goose egg on his head, they have ice on it.
Of course DDs are both sleeping now, so after checking to see if the
neighbour or one of her daughters were home (and finding out they weren't) I
called my mom. She's going to go and pick him up from school... So after
calling the school back, I told them that my mom was on her way but coming
from where she is in the city, she figures it will take her about 20-30 mins
(plus she needs to get dressed and out the door...) so the school is now
waiting for my mom to get there and told me that if he gets worse or if
something changes, they'll have to call an ambulance. I'm NOT impressed
with the whole dealing with the ambulance thing again. But, I guess, DS
seems to always manage to hurt himself. I've actually been on pins and
needles since football started - DS's first year of football - waiting for
something to happen. Luckily, nothing yet. It's his first year playing, so
really, he doesn't play very much at this point. Not until he gets the
point and idea of the game. They don't put all the kids in equal time until
the coaches are confident and comfortable with the player. DS just doesn't
quite get the whole point and he's also the smallest on the team - him and
another player are in a race for the smallest player, it seems LOL
So, guess I better get some stuff done here and wait for DS to come back
home. Hopefully it's not too bad, and here's to hoping the school is over
reacting just a little (as they're known to do...)

Old September 8th 08, 08:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Well, the second call from the school came in. They said they had to call
the ambulance and right now, as I was talking to the secretary, she said
paramedics were checking DS out. She's going to go and talk to the
paramedics and see and call me right back. Not that it's a huge deal, but I
am fearing this ambulance bill. Maybe that's real stupid and selfish on my
part, but I don't think I could handle dealing with that again.
School called again, so they're taking him via ambulance. Gotta go now.
This sucks.

Old September 8th 08, 08:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article tMexk.158514$nD.57521@pd7urf1no, Kat says...

Well, the second call from the school came in. They said they had to call
the ambulance and right now, as I was talking to the secretary, she said
paramedics were checking DS out. She's going to go and talk to the
paramedics and see and call me right back. Not that it's a huge deal, but I
am fearing this ambulance bill. Maybe that's real stupid and selfish on my
part, but I don't think I could handle dealing with that again.
School called again, so they're taking him via ambulance. Gotta go now.
This sucks.

Sorry I forget - where's the other parent in the daytime?

Banty

Old September 8th 08, 08:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

Kat wrote:
Well, the second call from the school came in. They said they had to call
the ambulance and right now, as I was talking to the secretary, she said
paramedics were checking DS out. She's going to go and talk to the
paramedics and see and call me right back. Not that it's a huge deal, but I
am fearing this ambulance bill. Maybe that's real stupid and selfish on my
part, but I don't think I could handle dealing with that again.
School called again, so they're taking him via ambulance. Gotta go now.
This sucks.

Oh my goodness. I hope he is OK!

--
Nikki
Old September 8th 08, 08:46 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Kat wrote:
It's lunch time - shortly after 12:30 here right now.

[snip]

So, guess I better get some stuff done here and wait for DS to come back
home. Hopefully it's not too bad, and here's to hoping the school is over
reacting just a little (as they're known to do...)

I hope he's all right. It's very worrying when you get a phone call
like that, especially if you can't go and get them.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old September 8th 08, 09:17 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Banty" wrote in message
In article tMexk.158514$nD.57521@pd7urf1no, Kat says...

Well, the second call from the school came in. They said they had to call
the ambulance and right now, as I was talking to the secretary, she said
paramedics were checking DS out. She's going to go and talk to the
paramedics and see and call me right back. Not that it's a huge deal, but
am fearing this ambulance bill. Maybe that's real stupid and selfish on
my
part, but I don't think I could handle dealing with that again.
School called again, so they're taking him via ambulance. Gotta go now.
This sucks.

Sorry I forget - where's the other parent in the daytime?

Maybe heading to the hospital? Would you ask the same question if Dad was
SAHP? The school called home and Mom was home. If Dad was home, Dad would
be going to the hospital.

Old September 8th 08, 09:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , toypup says...

"Banty" wrote in message
In article tMexk.158514$nD.57521@pd7urf1no, Kat says...

Well, the second call from the school came in. They said they had to call
the ambulance and right now, as I was talking to the secretary, she said
paramedics were checking DS out. She's going to go and talk to the
paramedics and see and call me right back. Not that it's a huge deal, but
am fearing this ambulance bill. Maybe that's real stupid and selfish on
my
part, but I don't think I could handle dealing with that again.
School called again, so they're taking him via ambulance. Gotta go now.
This sucks.

Sorry I forget - where's the other parent in the daytime?

Maybe heading to the hospital? Would you ask the same question if Dad was
SAHP? The school called home and Mom was home. If Dad was home, Dad would
be going to the hospital.

Whats this connection between home and hospital??

What I'm thinking is - without three smaller ones at home, Dad may be able to
break away more easily to get to school to pick up the boy. Which would have
avoided a lot of this.

Look - she's calling Mom, she's calling neighbors. There's a conspicuous
absence of mention here...

Banty

Old September 8th 08, 10:01 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Banty" wrote in message
Maybe heading to the hospital? Would you ask the same question if Dad was
SAHP? The school called home and Mom was home. If Dad was home, Dad
would
be going to the hospital.

Whats this connection between home and hospital??

Dad may be on his way to the hospital to meet the ambulance? He may be at
work too far away? She might be a single mom?

What I'm thinking is - without three smaller ones at home, Dad may be able
break away more easily to get to school to pick up the boy. Which would
have
avoided a lot of this.

Most people do go the easiest route, so I would assume that it was somehow
not possible or impractical.

Look - she's calling Mom, she's calling neighbors. There's a conspicuous
absence of mention here...

I'm sure she would have called him if it was practical and possible.

Old September 8th 08, 10:38 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , toypup says...

"Banty" wrote in message
Maybe heading to the hospital? Would you ask the same question if Dad was
SAHP? The school called home and Mom was home. If Dad was home, Dad
would
be going to the hospital.

Whats this connection between home and hospital??

Dad may be on his way to the hospital to meet the ambulance? He may be at
work too far away? She might be a single mom?

Toypup - I *asked*.

Let's wait for the answer.

Banty

Old September 9th 08, 01:46 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup[_2_]

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , toypup says...

"Banty" wrote in message
Maybe heading to the hospital? Would you ask the same question if Dad
was
SAHP? The school called home and Mom was home. If Dad was home, Dad
would
be going to the hospital.

Whats this connection between home and hospital??

Dad may be on his way to the hospital to meet the ambulance? He may be at
work too far away? She might be a single mom?

Toypup - I *asked*.

Let's wait for the answer.

Yes, well, I just feel that you have this chip on your shoulder about it
always being assumed that mom is SAHP, and also why is Mom SAHP versus Dad,
and why is Dad never expected to be there. Where's Dad? is always your
question. Sometimes, Dad doesn't want to be there or Mom doesn't want to
burden him, both of which are unfortunate. I think most times, when Dad is
around but isn't there, it's because he's working, sometimes far away,
sometimes at a job that would fire him for taking off. Yes, Mom can work,
too, but Dad as SAHP is just not how it is most times.

BTW, I know some awesome SAHD's. It's too bad they don't often feel they
have that choice. Maybe they're so good at it because when they do choose
it, they really do choose it (because it is not what society would
encourage), so they must really enjoy it and work hard at it.

Car accident... xkatx Single Parents 8 February 14th 06 07:12 AM
Car accident A&G&K Pregnancy 5 June 14th 04 05:47 AM
Car accident last night Sophie Pregnancy 59 May 25th 04 04:35 AM
Car Accident CME Single Parents 12 September 28th 03 04:34 AM
Scary - Car accident Rupert Pregnancy 7 August 15th 03 02:54 AM