DS Refusing to BF to sleep--what now? (long)

Old April 14th 04, 01:46 AM
Belphoebe

Default DS Refusing to BF to sleep--what now? (long)

Cheryl S. wrote:
wrote in message
om...
He's rubbing his eyes the whole time and he'll drift
to sleep a little as I rock him. Sometimes, if I nudge
him towards the nipple when he's drowsing off,
he'll latch on and be fine. Other times, he freaks out.

Rubbing eyes is a late sleep cue. Have you tried putting him to bed
1/2 hour earlier (if this is possible)?

Actually, what happened the last couple of nights was he fell asleep on me
before we actually went up for bed; 7:30 last night, and 8:30 the night
before. Both nights, he was still asleep when I was ready to go up at 10,
and it was tempting to just quietly bring him up with me and hope he stays
asleep. However, we were afraid that it would be too long for him to go
without a diaper change, so DH changed his diaper while I got myself ready,
and of course that woke him up. So maybe if I suspect he's going to fall
asleep before "our" bedtime, I should do the diaper change before he does,
then try to avoid waking him for the bedtime transfer. (We don't feel it's
safe to let him sleep on our bed unattended; he's mobile and doesn't seem to
have a fear of heights.)

.. . . Since I wrote the above, DS began a nursing session. But his diaper
was dry just before, so I dunno.

--
Belphoebe

Old April 14th 04, 05:50 AM
HollyLewis

Hmmm. He has gone through a prolonged bout of teething of late, and his new
tooth has just poked through. Maybe it's still bothering him. We'll try
bedtime Tylenol.

More likely it's another one on the way. :-) I think the pain is worst well
before the tooth actually cuts through the gum, based on my experience with DS
and anecdotal evidence. And DS almost always teethed in "batches" too. (Two
would come through at about the same time, then nothing for a while, then four
more in the space of two weeks, then nothing, then three...)

Whatever it is, I hope you get some sleep soon! :-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old April 14th 04, 02:10 PM
Manda

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:38:23 -0400, "Cheryl S."
wrote:

wrote in message
. com...
He's rubbing his eyes the whole time and he'll drift
to sleep a little as I rock him. Sometimes, if I nudge
him towards the nipple when he's drowsing off,
he'll latch on and be fine. Other times, he freaks out.

Rubbing eyes is a late sleep cue. Have you tried putting him to bed 1/2
hour earlier (if this is possible)?

He only does that after we've been into the going-so-sleep process for
a while. This is after we've sat and rocked for a bit, attempted to
nurse, screamed for a while, rocked some more, etc. I already am
putting him to sleep at 7pm and I don't get home from work until 6pm.
He gets up at 5:30am and naps for about 1.5 hours in the morning, and
another 2 to 2.5 hours in the afternoon. I don't wait until he rubs
his eyes for him to go to bed. He goes to bed at 7pm every night
unless it's obvious that he needs to go to bed before that.

Manda
Old April 14th 04, 02:13 PM
Belphoebe

HollyLewis wrote:

More likely it's another one on the way. :-) I think the pain is
worst well before the tooth actually cuts through the gum, based on
my experience with DS and anecdotal evidence. And DS almost always
teethed in "batches" too. (Two would come through at about the same
time, then nothing for a while, then four more in the space of two
weeks, then nothing, then three...)

That could well be. The weird thing is that this last tooth deviated from
his previous pattern. He got the two bottom, middle first. Then he got the
top, middle two. Then two more on top, quickly followed by just one on the
bottom. Tooth #8 came along much later, by itself.

Whatever it is, I hope you get some sleep soon! :-)

We had a much better night last night, thank goodness. We gave him Tylenol
an hour before bed, and going to sleep proceeded according to our "normal."
And although we ended up rising for the day at 6:15 (earlier than I'd
hoped!), I definitely got a nice stretch of real sleep last night, so I feel
much better.

--
Belphoebe

Old April 14th 04, 03:11 PM
Cheryl S.

"Belphoebe" wrote in message
Actually, what happened the last couple of nights was he
fell asleep on me before we actually went up for bed; 7:30
last night, and 8:30 the night before. Both nights, he was
still asleep when I was ready to go up at 10, and it was
tempting to just quietly bring him up with me and hope he
stays asleep. However, we were afraid that it would be
too long for him to go without a diaper change, so DH
changed his diaper while I got myself ready, and of course
that woke him up. So maybe if I suspect he's going to fall
asleep before "our" bedtime, I should do the diaper change
before he does, then try to avoid waking him for the bedtime
transfer. (We don't feel it's safe to let him sleep on our bed
unattended; he's mobile and doesn't seem to have a fear of heights.)

What time does he usually get up in the morning? I think it would be
unusual for a child his age to be getting enough sleep with a 10:00 PM
bedtime. That he fell asleep downstairs at 7:30 is evidence that he
needs more sleep, I think. Making a routine out of him falling asleep
downstairs and then being moved to bed while still asleep might lead to
greater problems down the road. I wouldn't want to make that a habit.
Do you own a crib or pack and play? I would suggest putting him to bed
at an earlier time such as 7:30 in that, and then if you really want to
continue cosleeping bring him in bed with you when you go to bed or
after the first time he wakes up. diapers, both my kids went/go 12
hours at night in one diaper with no problem. If his diaper is too
soaked to do that, he's probably nursing too much at night.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months

Old April 14th 04, 03:39 PM
Belphoebe

Cheryl S. wrote:
"Belphoebe" wrote in message
What time does he usually get up in the morning? I think it would be
unusual for a child his age to be getting enough sleep with a 10:00 PM
bedtime. That he fell asleep downstairs at 7:30 is evidence that he
needs more sleep, I think. Making a routine out of him falling asleep
downstairs and then being moved to bed while still asleep might lead
to greater problems down the road. I wouldn't want to make that a
habit. Do you own a crib or pack and play? I would suggest putting
him to bed at an earlier time such as 7:30 in that, and then if you
really want to continue cosleeping bring him in bed with you when you
go to bed or after the first time he wakes up. diapers, both my
kids went/go 12 hours at night in one diaper with no problem. If his
diaper is too soaked to do that, he's probably nursing too much at
night.

The thing is he doesn't fall asleep *every* night at 7:30 or 8:30--for
instance, last night, he did nurse at 8:45, but he didn't fall asleep then.
When he was finished eating, he wanted to get down and get back to his
"business."

It's been typical (as much as one can apply the word "typical" to our little
ones!) for him to go 10 pm- 8 am, then naps during the day add up to three
hours, giving him 13 hours, which falls within the recommended amount for
his age. I have found that on days when he wakes earlier, he ends up
napping more during the day and ending up with the same amount of sleep he
would have gotten had he slept until eight.

We have a pack-n-play, but have never gotten him into the habit of sleeping
in there (at least not after we got beyond the bassinet stage). At
Thanksgiving, he fell asleep in my arms as I was carrying him around and
interacting with all the relatives--this was just before dinner, so we put
him into the pack-n-play then, and he did sleep until just after dinner, but
that was an unusual thing.

We're happy with the cosleeping arrangement for the time being, and since he
does still nurse during the night, I don't want to change things just yet.
As for the diaper issue, he does go 10p-8a without trouble--I never find I
have to do a diaper change in the middle of the night. It's mostly DH
worrying about going too long. . . .

As I mentioned in another post, we did have a much better night last night,
so I'm hopeful.

--
Belphoebe

Old April 14th 04, 03:46 PM
Nikki

Belphoebe wrote:

However, we were afraid that it would
be too long for him to go without a diaper change, so DH changed his
diaper while I got myself ready, and of course that woke him up.

I wouldn't worry one wit about the diaper unless it was poopy. It doesn't
seem to bother my kids. If they woke up in the night I'd sometimes change
it. Mine are not particularly sensitive or rashy though.

Just last night Luke fell asleep way before his bedtime when I wasn't
expecting it (I didn't know he hadn't had a nap). He slept in the same
diaper and the same clothes, wasn't even in his jammies. It had to be 14
hours with the same diaper - gross but he didn't mind and it didn't leak. I
learned a long time ago that if my kids are actually sleeping I don't monkey
with them...they wake up on their own soon enough, lol.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Rant: the attachment parenting explosion [email protected] General 9 January 10th 04 05:11 AM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 07:57 PM
Birth story: very late and *extremely* long Sidheag McCormack Pregnancy 14 December 13th 03 09:37 PM
Vent--Comfort Sucking & Sleep Issues Kathy Breastfeeding 19 October 29th 03 06:37 AM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM