TV show - toxins in breastmilk

Old April 2nd 04, 08:30 PM
Andrea

Default TV show - toxins in breastmilk

Monday at 8 pm ITV1 (In the UK), apparently every woman to be should watch
this. They were saying that toxins in breastmilk can make your baby grow
slowly.

I will be watching out of interest.

Andrea mom of 5.

Old April 2nd 04, 09:41 PM
Poppy

"Andrea" wrote in message
Monday at 8 pm ITV1 (In the UK), apparently every woman to be should watch
this. They were saying that toxins in breastmilk can make your baby grow
slowly.

Very interesting - I'll be there too. FWIW growing slowly gives longer life
expectancy :-) (I think I read that in 'Breast is Best' by Penny and
Andrew Stanway. The slowest growing mammal is alledgedly the elephant and I
think most of them live much longer than humans.

--Poppy

Old April 3rd 04, 08:56 AM
Andrea

"Richard" wrote in message
Andrea wrote:
: Monday at 8 pm ITV1 (In the UK), apparently every woman to be should

watch
: this. They were saying that toxins in breastmilk can make your baby grow
: slowly.
:
: I will be watching out of interest.

Anything about the toxins in fish, cow's milk, water,

insecticide-containing
vegetables and fruit, hormone-fed livestock,.......

We do have a news channel here (NE USA) that carries ITV news. I'll try

catch it.

On the lighter side....

Monday at 8 pm ITV1 (In the UK), apparently every woman to be should

watch

Richard
dad to Micaela, a woman-to-be

I was in a hurry to type it before I forgot when it was on ! lol After
having 5 kids my brain has shrunk somewhat!

It shoulda said every mom to be!

Andrea mom of 5 with a shrunken brain.

Old April 3rd 04, 12:44 PM
Poppy

Yeah but elephants don't grow slowly because of toxins! Theyt grow slowly
naturally.

No I think the point was that we are *supposed* to grow slowly naturally as
well so maybe these 'toxins' are nature's way of maintaining good growth
patterns. FF kids always grow much more rapidly which is supposed to be
detrimental. *That* was the gist of the Stanway book (well not the whole
book obviously). Cows grow rapidly on cow's milk because they need bulk
rather than brain - that's what cows need for their way of life IYSWIM. I
don't have the book to hand to do a little quote but if I get it again I'll
copy here :-)

Still looking forward to the documentary though. Maybe it has been billed
in this slightly controversial way in order to attention grab for the
audience - maybe?

--Poppy

Old April 4th 04, 09:14 PM
Jan Andrea

"Andrea" wrote in message
Monday at 8 pm ITV1 (In the UK), apparently every woman to be should watch
this. They were saying that toxins in breastmilk can make your baby grow
slowly.

Argh. I wish they'd also mention that these toxins are found in the milk of
other species as well... like, for example, COWS.

Bloody media.

Jan
--
Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
and Sophia, 2 October 2003

Old April 5th 04, 05:06 PM
Jan Andrea

"Kereru" wrote in message

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message
Argh. I wish they'd also mention that these toxins are found in the milk
of other species as well... like, for example, COWS.

Do you know if formula manufacturers screen for and/or remove toxins

before
they get their final product?

I would certainly hope they do, but I don't know how plausible that is. I
do know that cow's milk undergoes quite a transmutation, being turned into
infant formula, but I don't know the specifics. However, anyone drinking
the milk of another species, or eating its meat, for that matter, will also
be exposed to environmental toxins. And I say this as a cheese lover who
does eat meat. I just hate the spin that the media has put on the story --
they make it sound (in soundbites) as though ONLY breastmilk has these
toxins in it, so breastfeeding is more dangerous than other infant feeding
methods, which is of course hogwash.

Jan

Old April 6th 04, 04:40 AM
Kereru

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message
"Kereru" wrote in message

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message
[...]

My first question was purely out of interest BTW, not as an argument!

It's a shame. It's a chance to highlight how seriously screwed up our
environment is. It should be (in my opinion) a "look even our breastmilk is
being affected" issue. Not one about how you feed your baby, breastfeeding
*should* be safe and if it's not there's something wrong with the
environment not with breastfeeding.

Judy

Old April 6th 04, 05:05 AM
Irene

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message ...
"Kereru" wrote in message

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message
[...]

I saw what was probably a similar story a few months ago on the news
(no idea which local network it was), and I had the same annoyance.
There was another spin, tho - it seemed like they wanted to emphasize
that these toxins were so dangerous, they even made breastmilk
dangerous, and so they must be stopped. It's still a scare tactic,
but at least it seems to have a better goal. Tho, it did also have
the spin that made breastmilk sound more dangerous than formula, if
you weren't really paying attention. blecch...

Irene
Old April 6th 04, 07:51 AM
Andrea

What they have to realise is these toxins are in us all! Even if we didn't
breastfeed, the babies would still end up with the toxins in them one way or
another.

It made me very sad. There is already a very low uptake of breastfeeding in
this country, and I feel it will be used as the ultimate excuse to not even
bother with breastfeeding.

Andrea mom of 5.

Old April 6th 04, 08:24 AM
Linz

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 07:51:30 +0100, "Andrea"
wrote:

What they have to realise is these toxins are in us all! Even if we didn't
breastfeed, the babies would still end up with the toxins in them one way or
another.

It made me very sad. There is already a very low uptake of breastfeeding in
this country, and I feel it will be used as the ultimate excuse to not even
bother with breastfeeding.

Okay, I started to watch the prog but had to stop because I was trying
to give YB his "last" bedtime feed and he kept trying to watch too. I
had three points in my head before I switched the tv off.

1. I already knew about dioxins etc being in me, and being
fat-soluble, and I was aware that they turn up in breastmilk, because
it's a fatty product. I suspect there may have been an article in the
paper last year about it.

2. The Dutch doctor who did the research said quite categorically that
his findings did NOT mean that women shouldn't breastfeed, that
breastfeeding is still the best thing to do, but that it would be
useful to be able to make breastmilk safer.

3. Discussing pre-conceptual care and de-toxing the body to make the
eggs, uterine environment and milk safer seemed a) to be making it
totally the mother's responsibility to do something about these
environmental toxins (therefore adding to her feelings of guilt if she
does something "wrong" or loses the pregnancy or ends up having a baby
who is anything less than perfect despite doing everything "right")
and b) ignoring the point that it's the polluters who are putting
these chemicals into the environment, and society as a whole, who
should be looking at getting rid of the toxins.

Perhaps these points were covered in the second half of the prog, I
don't know. But I do know that I'll be continuing to BF YoungBloke as
long as he wants it because I (and Bloke) feel that the benefits
outweigh the disadvantages.
--
Linz
YB: 5 months, 17lbs