Saw a Woman

Old April 14th 04, 01:56 AM
badgirl

Default Saw a Woman

in the grocery store tonight. She was paying for a case an a half of
Similac with WIC coupons. This just depresses me. I REALLY think the
state should be spending it's money on BF classes instead of paying
for formula for healthy women.
I asked how old the baby was, in hopes that maybe it was young enough
I could at least *try* to give the pro bf speech, but it was 4 months
old, way too late IMO unless someone was *extremely* determined to
relactate. If the baby was 2 weeks or younger I don't know what I
would have said, but I would have tried.
I totally understand when mothers need to use formula because of
illness or something like that, but this girl I saw (she couldn't have
been older than 22) was healthy, all made up, hair done etc.

*yet another sigh*

--
Jen,

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chgo_badgirl

need to update my pics soon since Bub is almost 2 now

Proud SAHM to Steven 7/24/89, Stephanie 6/5/91 and happily BF'ing
Nicolas 5/21/02
Mother is the word for God on the lips and in the hearts of all
children

Old April 14th 04, 04:22 AM
Denise Anderson

"badgirl" wrote in message
in the grocery store tonight. She was paying for a case an a half of
Similac with WIC coupons. This just depresses me. I REALLY think the
state should be spending it's money on BF classes instead of paying
for formula for healthy women.

I honestly think its time for me to leave this newsgroup. Its become more
and more judgemental. Maybe the baby was a foster child? Maybe the mom was
on some sort of medication for a disorder you couldn't see or maybe, just
maybe its no one's business how a woman chooses to feed a child.

Denise

Old April 14th 04, 04:45 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Denise Anderson wrote:

I honestly think its time for me to leave this newsgroup. Its become more
and more judgemental.

Denise, if she can't bitch about formula on a BF'ing newsgroup, where do
you suggest she goes to bitch about it? ;-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old April 14th 04, 04:55 AM
Shannon G

"badgirl" wrote in message
in the grocery store tonight. She was paying for a case an a half of
Similac with WIC coupons. This just depresses me. I REALLY think the
state should be spending it's money on BF classes instead of paying
for formula for healthy women.
I asked how old the baby was, in hopes that maybe it was young enough
I could at least *try* to give the pro bf speech, but it was 4 months
old, way too late IMO unless someone was *extremely* determined to
relactate.

While I do think it is my responsibility to encourage mommas who bf, I
certainly do not think it's my right to condemn those who do not. Nor, do I
have the right to give the pro-bf speech unless it was brought up "politely"
in a conversation. You have NO IDEA what her situation might be (other than
22 and "healthy, all made up, hair done, etc.") Puleeze. How do you know
she wasn't caring for her sister's baby while she was in the hospital
fighting cancer and going through chemo and radiation? Or maybe baby was
adopted? No wonder pro-bf advocates get a bad rap for being so militant.
Let's get off our high horses. My $.02.

Shannon

Old April 14th 04, 05:03 AM
toypup

"Denise Anderson" wrote in message

"badgirl" wrote in message
in the grocery store tonight. She was paying for a case an a half of
Similac with WIC coupons. This just depresses me. I REALLY think the
state should be spending it's money on BF classes instead of paying
for formula for healthy women.

I honestly think its time for me to leave this newsgroup. Its become more
and more judgemental. Maybe the baby was a foster child? Maybe the mom

was
on some sort of medication for a disorder you couldn't see or maybe, just
maybe its no one's business how a woman chooses to feed a child.

Maybe she's on that welfare to work program or can't be on welfare anymore
and has to work. Those lower end jobs aren't conducive to pumping. Maybe
she's combi-feeding.

Old April 14th 04, 06:35 AM
Carol Ann

in the grocery store tonight. She was paying for a case an a half of
Similac with WIC coupons. This just depresses me. I REALLY think the
state should be spending it's money on BF classes instead of paying
for formula for healthy women.
I asked how old the baby was, in hopes that maybe it was young enough
I could at least *try* to give the pro bf speech, but it was 4 months
old, way too late IMO unless someone was *extremely* determined to
relactate. If the baby was 2 weeks or younger I don't know what I
would have said, but I would have tried.
I totally understand when mothers need to use formula because of
illness or something like that, but this girl I saw (she couldn't have
been older than 22) was healthy, all made up, hair done etc.

*yet another sigh*

The question I have is: Is she employed? If not, she should be
breastfeeding.
IMHO.

~Carol Ann

Old April 14th 04, 07:16 AM
nina

"badgirl" wrote in message
in the grocery store tonight. She was paying for a case an a half of
Similac with WIC coupons. This just depresses me. I REALLY think the
state should be spending it's money on BF classes instead of paying
for formula for healthy women.

They do, and they also give breastfeeding women WIC for a year, 6 months
longer
than nonbreastfeeding mothers.But if the women cant or wont breastfeed, they
do formula.
The whole point is making sure the babies dont starve.

I asked how old the baby was, in hopes that maybe it was young enough
I could at least *try* to give the pro bf speech, but it was 4 months
old, way too late IMO unless someone was *extremely* determined to
relactate. If the baby was 2 weeks or younger I don't know what I
would have said, but I would have tried.
I totally understand when mothers need to use formula because of
illness or something like that, but this girl I saw (she couldn't have
been older than 22) was healthy, all made up, hair done etc.

Maybe she had a job and really wasnt able to pump enough to feed the child
while she was
at work (or school)

Old April 14th 04, 07:18 AM
nina

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
[...]

She'd still get WIC so it isnt like she's somehow cheating the system by
refusing to breastfeed and getting government goodies.

Old April 14th 04, 12:24 PM
KR

I know, although breastfeeding is best it isn't the only way. I mean she
could be feeding the child chocolate milk, then you'd be wishing she was
feeding her baby formula? There are lots of reasons why some women don't
breastfeed, it doesn't make them bad mothers and it doesn't make the kids
bad kids. Maybe the OP should mind her own business and just let people
feed their babie's formula if they so choose.

Old April 14th 04, 12:50 PM
Cheryl S.

"KR" wrote in message
I know, although breastfeeding is best it isn't the only way.
I mean she could be feeding the child chocolate milk,

.....or sno-cone syrup...
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months