A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » alt.support » Single Parents
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I'm getting married...



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old September 9th 04, 03:05 AM
Cele
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:46:50 +0100, "denanson" [email protected] .ie
wrote:

OK you two, just out of curiosity. How are you both dealing with the other
family relationships. Presumably you two swap Email and chat on the phone
but how do the assorted children build up their respective relationships
with the other adult and other children?


I don't know about anyone else but the 'assorted children' in our
situation are my two, who are 19 and 17, and Paul's, who is 11. My 19
year old has a high school diploma, two years of college, a full time
job and lives her own life away from home. She says she's happy for us
and "it's about time, Mom!" She likes Paul's just fine and thinks he's
a good guy, but she's an adult and not overly an issue. She has 3
cats, and I'm allergic to cats, which she well knows, so there's
little likelihood of her expecting to move back home. ;-) She's going
to Mexico for Christmas with her boyfriend and his family.

My 17 year old is graduating at the end of the year and will have her
high school diploma by the time Paul & co. arrive. She's eager to move
out on her own and get a job for a year before going to college, which
has been her agenda since long before all this. I'm not expecting it
to change but she knows that she'll have a room with us as long as she
wants or needs it. She think's Paul's son is a fabulous kid & is
looking forward to spending more time with him. Claims she's keen on a
younger kid in the mix. Younger than her, that is. :-) We spent a lot
of time together while they were here, of course. In her words, the
whole thing is "groovy."

I'll leave it to Paul to speak WRT his own, if he chooses to.

WRT building relationships, we did a fair whack of that while they
were here, and we're meeting for two weeks over Christmas as well.
Then when they get here in the summer we'll have all the time in the
world to carry on the rest of it.

Are they expected to just slot in with your wishes?


Such an endearing turn of phrase. Does it seem likely that after all
this time of intense microparenting of my injured youngster, including
leaving a job I loved and moving thousands of miles to get her needs
met, that suddenly her needs are of no consequence?

Not trying to throw a dampner here, just curious.


Not to worry. It's not likely to be overly affected by anyone's
questions, I don't think. :-)

Cele
  #62  
Old September 9th 04, 03:07 AM
Cele
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 06:40:35 GMT, "Paul Griffiths"
wrote:

"Cele" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:52:59 +0100, "Paul Griffiths"
wrote:
"Cele" wrote in message
.. .

snip

Heh. Actually, you can go ahead and be happy for us. We are. And I
think we can get a room, so not to worry. At least, if there wasn't
six thousand miles of land and an entire ocean between us. But we're
working on that.

Is this the royal we or is the guy supposed to be doing something too?

Oh
wait, I could just ask *him* I suppose.


That's the ticket. Ask him, and get back to me on what he says, ok?


He said he's busy right now but muttered something about hot tubs and
satellite TV systems. Mean anything to you?


I dunno. I heard that if you put a TV in a hot tub it kind of lights
up your whole day...

Cele
  #63  
Old September 9th 04, 05:37 AM
Cele
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:45:03 GMT, 'Kate wrote:

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:45:56 +0100, "Paul Griffiths"
wrote:

"Betsy" wrote in message
news:rAA%[email protected]
"Paul Griffiths" wrote in message
...


snip


Thanks. Should we make it a race? Have to be handicapped somehow 'cos
you guys had a head start. Be fun to meet up one day though, if it all

works
out I mean.

Well, a race, hmmmm. Sounds like fun, but...let's keep it friendly shall
we? No, "neener neener neener" at the other one.


Oh okay then. sulk

Don't know how much of a head start we have, as this all just came

together
in the last month. We've known each other far longer, but the face to

face
meeting happened probably around the same time yours did.


Ah right, I didn't realise that. Must have skipped a crucial sentence.

Be fun to meet up, period. More fun if it all works out, mind.


It would and it definitely would.


Is there another, more appropriate, place on the 'net for this kind of
thing? Alt.green-card or something?


Well, this is about assp posters getting together. And as we're not
talking exclusively about the US, alt.green-card isn't going to be
quite the place....

Cele
  #64  
Old September 9th 04, 07:25 AM
Paul Griffiths
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Cele" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 06:40:35 GMT, "Paul Griffiths"
wrote:


snip

He said he's busy right now but muttered something about hot tubs and
satellite TV systems. Mean anything to you?


I dunno. I heard that if you put a TV in a hot tub it kind of lights
up your whole day...


Yeah I imagine it would, especially over here where TVs run off 230 volts.


--
Paul Griffiths


  #65  
Old September 9th 04, 07:37 AM
Paul Griffiths
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Cele" wrote in message
...

snip

Well, this is about assp posters getting together.


Is there a chance this could expand into a discussion of a meet? That'd be
great by me.


--
Paul Griffiths


  #66  
Old September 9th 04, 10:37 AM
Betsy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Cele" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 07:37:49 +0100, "Paul Griffiths"
wrote:

"Cele" wrote in message
. ..

snip

Well, this is about assp posters getting together.


Is there a chance this could expand into a discussion of a meet? That'd
be
great by me.


Works for me. Anyone up for an assp meet in North America somewhere
next summer?

Cele


Hammer out the details, and finances and personal life permitting, I'm
there!

Betsy


  #67  
Old September 9th 04, 10:48 AM
Moon Shyne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

alt.visa.us.marriage-based (At least for the US based folks) - the immigration
form you'll be looking for is a fiance visa - I think it's an I-29?

Good luck.


"'Kate" wrote in message
...
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:45:56 +0100, "Paul Griffiths"
wrote:

"Betsy" wrote in message
news:rAA%[email protected]
"Paul Griffiths" wrote in message
...


snip


Thanks. Should we make it a race? Have to be handicapped somehow 'cos
you guys had a head start. Be fun to meet up one day though, if it all

works
out I mean.

Well, a race, hmmmm. Sounds like fun, but...let's keep it friendly shall
we? No, "neener neener neener" at the other one.


Oh okay then. sulk

Don't know how much of a head start we have, as this all just came

together
in the last month. We've known each other far longer, but the face to

face
meeting happened probably around the same time yours did.


Ah right, I didn't realise that. Must have skipped a crucial sentence.

Be fun to meet up, period. More fun if it all works out, mind.


It would and it definitely would.


Is there another, more appropriate, place on the 'net for this kind of
thing? Alt.green-card or something?

'Kate



  #68  
Old September 9th 04, 01:39 PM
lm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 02:05:46 GMT, Cele
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:46:50 +0100, "denanson" [email protected] .ie
wrote:

OK you two, just out of curiosity. How are you both dealing with the other
family relationships. Presumably you two swap Email and chat on the phone
but how do the assorted children build up their respective relationships
with the other adult and other children?


I don't know about anyone else but the 'assorted children' in our
situation are my two, who are 19 and 17, and Paul's, who is 11. My 19
year old has a high school diploma, two years of college, a full time
job and lives her own life away from home. She says she's happy for us
and "it's about time, Mom!" She likes Paul's just fine and thinks he's
a good guy, but she's an adult and not overly an issue. She has 3
cats, and I'm allergic to cats, which she well knows, so there's
little likelihood of her expecting to move back home. ;-) She's going
to Mexico for Christmas with her boyfriend and his family.

My 17 year old is graduating at the end of the year and will have her
high school diploma by the time Paul & co. arrive. She's eager to move
out on her own and get a job for a year before going to college, which
has been her agenda since long before all this. I'm not expecting it
to change but she knows that she'll have a room with us as long as she
wants or needs it. She think's Paul's son is a fabulous kid & is
looking forward to spending more time with him. Claims she's keen on a
younger kid in the mix. Younger than her, that is. :-) We spent a lot
of time together while they were here, of course. In her words, the
whole thing is "groovy."

I'll leave it to Paul to speak WRT his own, if he chooses to.

WRT building relationships, we did a fair whack of that while they
were here, and we're meeting for two weeks over Christmas as well.
Then when they get here in the summer we'll have all the time in the
world to carry on the rest of it.

Are they expected to just slot in with your wishes?


Such an endearing turn of phrase. Does it seem likely that after all
this time of intense microparenting of my injured youngster, including
leaving a job I loved and moving thousands of miles to get her needs
met, that suddenly her needs are of no consequence?

Not trying to throw a dampner here, just curious.


Not to worry. It's not likely to be overly affected by anyone's
questions, I don't think. :-)


WRT the visa stuff, we found alt.visa.us.marriage-based to be
incredibly helpful. There are sure to be Canada-based sites as well.
Good luck to all of you.


Hmmm, that reminds me, I think there's a wedding about to happen down
Ottawa way.... best wishes to Lisa!

lm
  #69  
Old September 9th 04, 02:33 PM
Lisa
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"lm" wrote in message
Hmmm, that reminds me, I think there's a wedding about to happen down
Ottawa way.... best wishes to Lisa!

lm


How spooky is that? I was just thinking about you!!

8 more getups, cause the 18th doesn't count!! I was thinking about you
because I'm feeling pretty much like a loon right now, and was wondering how
you coped. LOL,,,,stupid fake nails sure make typing tuff

Actually, we're pretty much in order, by the end of the weekend all chores
and running around should be done.....

We already had one glitch...Classy fricking formal men's wear went bankrupt
so we had to redo the fittings and selections for the tuxes. Other than
that, so far so good.

Spinning away,,,
Lisa

  #70  
Old September 9th 04, 03:00 PM
lm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:33:34 -0400, "Lisa" wrote:


"lm" wrote in message
Hmmm, that reminds me, I think there's a wedding about to happen down
Ottawa way.... best wishes to Lisa!

lm


How spooky is that? I was just thinking about you!!

8 more getups, cause the 18th doesn't count!! I was thinking about you
because I'm feeling pretty much like a loon right now, and was wondering how
you coped. LOL,,,,stupid fake nails sure make typing tuff

Actually, we're pretty much in order, by the end of the weekend all chores
and running around should be done.....

We already had one glitch...Classy fricking formal men's wear went bankrupt
so we had to redo the fittings and selections for the tuxes. Other than
that, so far so good.

Spinning away,,,
Lisa


He had a new shirt and I had my favorite dress, we made reservations
for dinner and for an overnighter at an inn, then we headed to our
favorite hiking spot and did the deed. If I'd have had fake nails he
probably wouldn't recognize me!

We used the poem below for our ceremony -- it was perfect considering
the long-distance nature of our beginning:

"The Country of Marriage" by Wendell Berry

1.
I dream of you walking at night along the streams
of the country of my birth, warm blooms and the nightsongs
of birds opening around you as you walk.
You are holding in your body the dark seed of my sleep.

2.
This comes after silence. Was it something I said
that bound me to you, some mere promise
or, worse, the fear of loneliness and death?
A man lost in the woods in the dark, I stood
still and said nothing. And then there rose in me,
like the earth's empowering brew rising
in root and branch, the words of a dream of you
I did not know I had dreamed. I was a wanderer
who feels the solace of his native land
under his feet again and moving in his blood.
I went on, blind and faithful. Where I stepped
my track was there to steady me. It was no abyss
that lay before me, but only the level ground.

3.
Sometimes our life reminds me
of a forest in which there is a graceful clearing
and in that opening a house,
an orchard and garden,
comfortable shades, and flowers
red and yellow in the sun, a pattern
made in the light for the light to return to.
The forest is mostly dark, its ways
to be made anew day after day, the dark
richer than the light and more blessed,
provided we stay brave
enough to keep on going in.

4.
How many times have I come to you out of my head
with joy, if ever a man was,
for to approach you I have given up the light
and all directions. I come to you
lost, wholly trusting as a man who goes
into the forest unarmed. It is as though I descend
slowly earthward out of the air. I rest in peace
in you, when I arrive at last.


______________

It's so nice to see so many beginnings on this forum :-)

lm
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article by Carol Ummel Lindquist, Ph.D. - Happily Married with Kids Jane Smith General 0 July 27th 04 02:17 PM
Review: Frankie and Johnny Are Married (*** 1/2) Steve Rhodes General 0 June 15th 04 11:52 PM
65 % of kids live with both their Married parents or their marriedadoptive parents Virginia Child Support 12 September 23rd 03 06:02 PM
Help! Married with Children John General 10 August 11th 03 05:09 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ParentingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.