Character of a growing girl (middle school question)

Old December 31st 03, 04:51 PM
Donna Metler

Default Character of a growing girl (middle school question)

"H Schinske" wrote in message

If a student graduates with $20,000 in extra loans, as a
result of attending the more expensive rather than the less expensive
institution, then that student would only have to make 1% more, over his
or her lifetime, to break even.

Yeah, but what happens is that 1% of the students make twice as much, and

for
the rest of us it makes no difference! ;-)

In any case, am I naive to think that loans are not really "financial aid"

in
the true sense of the word? I know you can get them at attractive rates
compared to borrowing money elsewhere, but really, almost anyone can

borrow
money for college. To me, financial aid means somebody actually helps me

PAY
THE BILL, permanently.

It also depends on repayment. In education, I know that there are programs
in most states which will either pay your way through grad school directly
(if your undergrad record is good enough) or will repay loans given if you
teach in high need fields. In my case, I got a substantial grant from the
state of TX to get a degree in Mathematics Education (and also,
incidentally, got my certificate in music ed while I was there) because it
was a high need field, then the state of TN paid off my loans since I work
in an inner city school (which was where the jobs were anyway). In my case,
they lost the bet on the first one-not only did I move out of state, but I
was hired as a music teacher, but the second paid off, since I'm still in
inner city schools, and have stayed despite at least 2-3 job offers a year
(most of which, admittedly, would require moving and are not at all
attractive).

According to my brother, it used to be fairly common for law offices to pay
off loans for their new hires, especially if you came from the same law
school they did (the good old boy network). However, since it's currently an
employers market for new lawyers, even ones from fairly prestigious schools
are having trouble finding jobs at all, with or without repayment.

--Helen

Old December 31st 03, 04:57 PM
Donna Metler

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Hillary Israeli

says...

In ,
Banty wrote:

*I did apply for financial aid as something of a back-up for my first

year at
the
*institution where I obtained my doctorate, and in that process I was

treated as
*something of a beggar (more than when I applied as an undergraduate).

Because
*that's not the usual path for financing graduate school. I would put

forth that
*the response your mother got was exactly because you and she,

apparently, were
*trying to go the student aid route.

You say that as if we did something unusual or wrong. I suppose I haven't
explained things at all well.

It's not so much that it's 'wrong' as it's not required for many more

students
practically the way it is for undergraduate school. Because of the

presence of
the option to borrow against professional earnings in the fairly near

future.
After all, as you said the financial aid person who handed out the packets

did
so just in case someone qualified. She wasn't exactly saying "here's your
opporunity". There's nothing 'wrong' in checking that out, but the

stringent
requirements really should not have been a surprise. When I considered

medical
school in the early '80s, the answer came down to the same pretty much (I

was
independant by then, but had no assets) - the expectation was that I

borrow
against my future earnings as a physician. Else I be sponsored by the

military
or other government program in exchange for a period of service where they
choose. The vet students I knew at CSU had mostly taken out a lot of

loans,
except for a few foreigns with national sponsorships.

Law school is apparently the same way. My brother just finished his law
program last Spring, almost 100K in debt (and still has no job, sigh...) He
had been independent and actually working for several years, and while he
had more than enough $$ for college without loans (mostly merit-based, plus
some extra aid available to dependents of VA state employees at state
schools), he was on his own for law school. In comparison, when I went to
grad school in education, while they weren't exactly throwing $$ at me, I
was able to get a pretty nice grant from the state of TX, plus a TA/RA ship
in the Human Sciences department, and was able to get by with almost no
loans (and those were repaid by the govt at 20% a year, for the first 5
years I taught since I chose to teach in title I schools-and still do, as a
matter of fact).

My husband had an RA ship his first year of grad school, and took out some
small loans, then got a fellowship from NSF which paid the bills the rest of
the way through.

Old December 31st 03, 11:43 PM
XOR

"Donna Metler" wrote in message ...

[...]

This was my experience as well. Ivy league professional school, aid
was based on everyone - your spouse, yourself, your parents. The
average age in the class was 30+, so obviously most people were
financially independent of their parents. Didn't matter. A classmate
of mine was in her mid 40s, married, etc. Even she had to include her
parents' financial info! (In addition to that of her spouse). Pretty
much every one took out loans.

The doctoral students (PhD not MD) in the same department were funded
off of grants/TAships/RAships, etc. This is the case for all doctoral
programs I've looked at including the one I utilised. This is in the
basic sciences, it's a little bit different in the liberal
arts/humanities.

Another child killed in kincare Kane General 39 February 12th 04 07:55 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM