Winter clothes

Old July 23rd 04, 09:35 PM
Denise Anderson

Default Winter clothes

We're moving to the Chicago area in the middle of winter this year. DDs 1
and 2 will be in a school district that requires uniforms, so that's one
less thing I have to worry about. But we're moving from the Pacific
northwest where it gets cold but not *cold*, kwim? I'm getting ready to put
some clothes on layaway at the Navy exchange for all the girls for school
here, but I'm debating whether or not to put anything like sweaters and
jackets and such because I have no idea what they'll actually need up there.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of cold weather clothing I
should invest in before the move for DDs ages 6, 4, 3 and under 6 mo?

TIA,
Denise

Old July 23rd 04, 10:00 PM
Sue

"Denise Anderson" wrote in message
Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of cold weather clothing I
should invest in before the move for DDs ages 6, 4, 3 and under 6 mo?

Hi Denise,

I live in Michigan so about four hours away from Chicago. Their weather is
very similar to ours. Yes, you will need very warm coats, scarves, mittens,
snow pants, boots, sweaters, lol. It can get extremely cold in the winter
and sometimes the windchill factor goes way below zero. So for your
school-aged kids make sure that they are bundled up warm because if they are
like our school, they go out to play everyday unless it goes below 32
degrees. For the 6 month old, you probably should get a snowsuit for her.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 23rd 04, 10:30 PM
tristyn

Denise Anderson wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions
on what kind of cold weather clothing I should invest in before the
move for DDs ages 6, 4, 3 and under 6 mo?

It's all about layers. In upstate NY where I used to live, it got pretty
cold in winter (I remember plenty of days of near-zero F). In that kind of
weather, I'd wear a few pairs of socks, because it's hard to keep your feet
warm. I hated long johns (they just feel weird on me!) so I'd wear a pair of
cotton tights under just about everything. Leggings are also good for adding
layers. If you see flannel-lined jeans, those are nice. Long sleeve knit
tees and turtlenecks are good for adding warmth under sweaters. And of
course gloves, scarves, and hats are a must!

Gabe had the polarfleece snowsuit from Land's End. It was warm without being
too bulky, and the hands and feet have little fold-over flaps. When driving
I'd just layer a few fleece blankets over him until the car warmed up.

tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old July 24th 04, 12:48 AM
Nan

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:35:20 GMT, "Denise Anderson"
snuck out of the ether to utter:

We're moving to the Chicago area in the middle of winter this year. DDs 1
and 2 will be in a school district that requires uniforms, so that's one
less thing I have to worry about. But we're moving from the Pacific
northwest where it gets cold but not *cold*, kwim? I'm getting ready to put
some clothes on layaway at the Navy exchange for all the girls for school
here, but I'm debating whether or not to put anything like sweaters and
jackets and such because I have no idea what they'll actually need up there.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of cold weather clothing I
should invest in before the move for DDs ages 6, 4, 3 and under 6 mo?

I'm in Indiana, about 3 hours east, and we have about the same
weather.

A lot will depend on when you'll be moving. While you're going to
want warm clothing once you're here, you can probably get by with
layering and perhaps a sweatshirt/pants outfit or 2 for each (warm
blankets for the baby, all in one outfits with feet).
In the name of saving packing and moving space I'd wait to outfit them
until after you've moved, and depending on when you move, you can find
great sales on lots of winter items starting in late Dec.
Boots, winter coats, snow pants all go on clearance after Christmas.

Nan
--
"when the sun goes down we'll be groovin'
when the sun goes down we'll be feelin' alright,
Old July 24th 04, 10:13 AM
Cindy Kandolf

"Denise Anderson" writes:
| We're moving to the Chicago area in the middle of winter this year. DDs 1
| and 2 will be in a school district that requires uniforms, so that's one
| less thing I have to worry about. But we're moving from the Pacific
| northwest where it gets cold but not *cold*, kwim? I'm getting ready to put
| some clothes on layaway at the Navy exchange for all the girls for school
| here, but I'm debating whether or not to put anything like sweaters and
| jackets and such because I have no idea what they'll actually need up there.
| Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of cold weather clothing I
| should invest in before the move for DDs ages 6, 4, 3 and under 6 mo?

It's already been said, I'm just echoing it: put aside the money to
buy the clothes once you get to Chicago, if at all possible. The
selection will be better there.

As to what you need, that depends on how much time the kids will be
spending outside. Where I live, kids are outside every day at school
and daycare/preschool; it takes really severe weather before the
teachers keep them inside, particularly once they're in school. So
they need to bundle up. For that situation, at a minimum, the kids need:

- a snowsuit
- a winter jacket
- good boots
- a hat
- two pairs of mittens or gloves
- a scarf or substitute
- a warm sweater
- a set of long (woolen) underwear

A child who doesn't play outside in bad winter weather will need less
- the long woolies, for instance, only come out when it's REALLY cold.

I like a separate snowsuit and jacket, rather than a two-piece
snowsuit (jacket and pants), for two reasons. First, the opening in
the middle of a two-piece snowsuit can let cold air, even snow, in.
Second, this means the child can have a good warm snowsuit for playing
outdoors, but a thinner jacket, maybe Polarfleece, to wear in the car,
so the seatbelt fits better.

Boots are important. If the boots leak, the child's socks get soaked,
her feet will quickly get cold, and cold wet feet in the wintertime
are just miserable. I said two pairs of mittens because if just one
thing gets lost all winter, I can almost guarantee you it's going to
be a mitten. Also, mittens are the first things to get wet and it's
good to have a dry pair handy. Scarves on younger kids tend to come
unwrapped or get caught, in fact my younger son's preschool asks that
parents not use scarves because of the possibility of the tails
getting caught in something and hurting the child. I don't remember
what they're called in English, but if you can find the separate
"turtle necks" that can be pulled over a child's head, those are a
much more practical substitute.

And one bit of advice from someone who has seen this from the point of
view of both parent and (substitute) teacher: label all this stuff!
It's going to end up in a pile on the floor at school together with
the hats and mittens of all the other kids in the class. If your
child's name isn't written in there somewhere, you may never see your
child's favorite hat alive again. At least, not until after spring
break.

Good luck with your move!

- Cindy Kandolf, mamma to Kenneth (10) and Robert (4)
****** Bærum, Norway
Bilingual Families Web Page:
http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

Old July 24th 04, 11:25 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Denise Anderson wrote:

*We're moving to the Chicago area in the middle of winter this year. DDs 1
*and 2 will be in a school district that requires uniforms, so that's one
*less thing I have to worry about. But we're moving from the Pacific
*northwest where it gets cold but not *cold*, kwim? I'm getting ready to put
*some clothes on layaway at the Navy exchange for all the girls for school
*here, but I'm debating whether or not to put anything like sweaters and
*jackets and such because I have no idea what they'll actually need up there.
*Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of cold weather clothing I
*should invest in before the move for DDs ages 6, 4, 3 and under 6 mo?

Well, I'm in Philadelphia, which has fewer bitingly cold and snowy days
than Chicago as far as I know. I was also traumatized as a fifteen year
old by visiting my aunt and uncle in Evanston, IL one weekend when it was
something like -25 F (that's NEGATIVE 25!) although I think that was a
record temp at the time and I think it still stands today . So I would
definitely get the sweaters and jackets and stuff. My kids here in
Philadelphia (ages 4 and 2 this winter!) have sweaters, polyfleece-lined
jeans (usually bought at Old Navy), socks, snow boots, lots of turtlenecks
and sweaters, at least one decent waterproof snowsuit per kid (sometimes I
have extra from gifts or whatever - last year one neighbor gave me a
gazillion pounds of stuff from her son, I may not need to buy snow clothes
for my son for three years ), mittens (the lands end kid mittens with
the flap are the BEST), lands end squall jackets, scarves and hats. FWIW.

Old July 24th 04, 02:20 PM
Sue

- two pairs of mittens or gloves

About the mittens and gloves. If the children are going to be playing in the
snow, buy the gloves that repel water like Therma- something (sorry I can't
remember it exactly) or gloves by Columbia. Mittens and gloves that don't
repel water get really cold and icy and you might as well not be wearing
anything at all. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 24th 04, 02:21 PM
Sue

"Nan" wrote in message
I'm in Indiana, about 3 hours east, and we have about the same
weather.

Hey I'm coming to Indiana tomorrow to go camping at the Jellystone in
Freemont. ) Are you close to that at all?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 24th 04, 02:49 PM
Rosalie B.

(Hillary Israeli) wrote:

In ,
Denise Anderson wrote:

*We're moving to the Chicago area in the middle of winter this year. DDs 1
*and 2 will be in a school district that requires uniforms, so that's one
*less thing I have to worry about. But we're moving from the Pacific
*northwest where it gets cold but not *cold*, kwim? I'm getting ready to put
*some clothes on layaway at the Navy exchange for all the girls for school
*here, but I'm debating whether or not to put anything like sweaters and
*jackets and such because I have no idea what they'll actually need up there.
*Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of cold weather clothing I
*should invest in before the move for DDs ages 6, 4, 3 and under 6 mo?

I'm currently in Maryland. When dd#1 was born we lived in Norfolk
which was cold and very windy but didn't have much snow. After dd#2
was born we moved to Monterey California (fairly temperate), and then
to Key West Florida where dd#3 was born. We then moved to
Philadelphia in January. DD#1 was 7, dd#2 was 5, and dd#3 was 8
months. I had no suitable clothes for anyone but dd#3 (snow suits
that her sisters had worn in Norfolk) and me (stuff from when I went
to college in northern Ohio). DH of course wore uniforms. I also had
to buy a dryer. One of my first purchases (from Sears along with the
dryer) was quilted winter jackets with a hood (this was in the late
60s before a lot of high tech fabrics - I thought I had a photo of
them but I can't find them). Later I got other clothes like
http://p.vtourist.com/649226.jpg which was an Easter outfit.

[...]

http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/...47550476128000

Think layering. http://p.vtourist.com/1523577.jpg is a picture of us
going to the Army Navy game in the late 50s - I am wearing a black
fake fur coat which I still have and which I was glad to have when we
moved to Philadelphia, and a scarf. My dad is wearing a flannel
shirt, an overcoat and a hat. You want to be able to take things off
when you go indoors.

I used to go to Chicago for training periodically (actually Des
Plaines but whatever), and they'd send me in January. I would wear
things like corduroy pants (because I don't like wearing wool although
it is warmer), turtlenecks, a vest (which I got from WearGuard which
makes less expensive work clothing that unfortunately doesn't help to
http://www.wearguard.com/category2.h...rt=wg_blizzard much with
children's clothes), a winter coat (uniform coat from work), and I
always had gloves and a thermal hood which I got from Damart. (they
have good thermal clothing but unfortunately now only sell in the UK
and Europe). The problem with thermal underwear is that it is too hot
if you are indoors but I think it is important to keep the head warm.

grandma Rosalie
Old July 24th 04, 04:28 PM
Nan

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:21:37 -0400, "Sue"

"Nan" wrote in message
I'm in Indiana, about 3 hours east, and we have about the same
weather.

Hey I'm coming to Indiana tomorrow to go camping at the Jellystone in
Freemont. ) Are you close to that at all?

I've heard of that, but have never been there. I think it's a good
hour-hour and a half drive.

Nan

--
"when the sun goes down we'll be groovin'
when the sun goes down we'll be feelin' alright,
when the sun sinks down over the water
everything gets hotter when the sun goes down"
~Kenny Chesney

Skin is no longer in: clothes Mike General 0 July 14th 04 08:51 PM
Endlessly buying clothes Joanne23 General 28 May 8th 04 04:24 AM
Review: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (*** 1/2) Steve Rhodes General 0 April 9th 04 12:45 AM
bleach for kids' clothes ted General 9 March 24th 04 10:00 PM
Car seats and winter coats Denise General 60 January 11th 04 02:50 AM