29 weeks appointment

Old March 6th 05, 10:12 AM
Kazh

I'm even more confused about GD now than ever..........

Can anyone point me in the direction of a site to show me the types of =
foods to eat at meals and the types to avoid. Like a example menu

I know I need to find the ''triggers'' for myself but surely therre are =
some which affect everyone like grapes or apples.

I really don't want ot take the insulin as it looks like it's not =
controlling anything anyway, but need an alternative to decrease my BG.

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

Just 9 weeks 1 day to go ............

Old March 6th 05, 10:14 AM
Kazh

"Maggie" wrote in message =
I was diagnosed with GD at 33 weeks, and told I would need to go on=20
insulin and that I would be induced at 37 weeks. Since I had no=20
intention of doing either, I followed a very strict diet and kept up=20
with my exercise. It worked, and I ended up being discharged back into=20
the care of my midwife at 37 weeks.

Main things I did were cut out all white bread, potatoes, rice, and of=20
course biscuits and cakes, anything with sugar or refined carbs. I'd=20
have sweetcorn (on the cob) instead of potatoes, wild rice instead of=20
white. I would have fruit sparingly and always with protein (eg. apple=20
and cheese), except in the mornings when I'd have oats and grapefruit.=20
I looked at the GI value of food, but we found that GL (glycemic load)=20
more useful.

White potatoes are the worst! Avoid at all costs!

I found this website invaluable:
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_index.html

--=20
Maggie
-----------------------
This is of great help Maggie, can you help point me in the direction of =
examples of good and bad diet in relate to GD, like example meals or =
what is good to lower BG and what raises it ?

Old March 6th 05, 03:22 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Kazh wrote:

I'm even more confused about GD now than ever..........

Can anyone point me in the direction of a site to show me the types
of foods to eat at meals and the types to avoid. Like a example menu

Google "glycemic index" and you should turn up a site that
lists the glycemic index of foods. You want to choose food that
are low on the glycemic index (55 or less) and have a low glucose
load (10 or less). Glycemic load takes into account the amount
you eat, so it's not always an issue of just totally avoiding all
high GI foods--you can include small quantities of high GI foods
as long as you keep the glycemic load low. There are foods out there
that have a higher glycemic index than sugar, many of which have
probably been on your plate--including white bread and white potatoes.
Shoot for several small meals a day. Don't go more than
three hours without eating.
Never eat carbs alone. Balancing then with protein, fiber,
and fat will help with your body's response. When
you mix things up in a meal, their glycemic index can be affected
by the combination, so the weighted average of the GIs of the
various foods won't necessarily be accurate, but you sure as
heck will know a lot more than you did just following your
dietician's advice.
Eat foods that are processed as little as possible.
Things like cooking pasta longer (or really, cooking just about
anything) raises its glycemic index.
Glycemic index or glycemic load isn't the be all and end
all. You can manage things just by limiting carbs and eating
"good" carbs when you do eat carbs, but the glycemic index helps
you figure out which carbs are better carbs and you *do* need
carbs. If you are too ruthless in eliminating carbs, you can
have hypoglycemic episodes which aren't fun either.

I know I need to find the ''triggers'' for myself but surely therre
are some which affect everyone like grapes or apples.

Absolutely, which is why your dietician's advice was wholly
inadequate. There are lots of books out there. You might look for
a book on diabetic diets that is new enough to discuss glycemic index
and glycemic load.

I really don't want ot take the insulin as it looks like it's not
controlling anything anyway, but need an alternative to decrease my BG.

Be careful. They're likely to have you keep ratcheting up
the insulin until they get the numbers they want--and if they do
that giving you as little information as they have about the diet,
that could lead to some unpleasant situations.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 7th 05, 10:37 AM
Maggie

I found this website invaluable:
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_index.html

This is of great help Maggie, can you help point me in the direction of examples of good and bad diet in relate to GD, like example meals or what is
good to lower BG and what raises it ?

You're going to have to do a little reading. Glycemic load index
information is he
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

I found it extremely useful, and DH and I used it extensively when
trying to work out what to cook for dinner, etc.

I'm a sample size of one. You may find your blood sugars react
differently to certain foods than mine, but the GL index is a good
guideline.

If you're not exercising, start walking. Now. Even if it's only
fifteen minutes a day. You want to keep your blood sugars even over the
day, so that means snacking, having say 6 mini-meals rather than three
large ones.

Sample diet for one day for me (from what I can remember):

Breakfast - bowl of oats (not 'instant oats') with fresh grapefruit
Mid morning snack - one apple and some full-fat cheese
Lunch - green salad with balsamic vinegar, chicken noodle cup-a-soup,
cheese sandwich with low GI bread
Afternoon snack : handful of unroasted unsalted nuts (almonds, pecan,
walnut, not peanuts)
Pre dinner snack - 6 low GI crackers and salsa
Dinner - meat and vege, low GI carb such as wild rice or corn on the cob
Supper - two slices of low GI fruit toast and butter with glass of milk
(this helped me having leg cramps in the middle of the night! )

All the best
--
Maggie
Old March 8th 05, 09:52 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

I really don't want ot take the insulin as it looks like it's not
controlling anything anyway, but need an alternative to decrease my BG.

Be careful. They're likely to have you keep ratcheting up
the insulin until they get the numbers they want--and if they do
that giving you as little information as they have about the diet,
that could lead to some unpleasant situations.

Such as...?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old March 8th 05, 10:07 AM
Chookie

In article , "Kazh"
wrote:

I'm even more confused about GD now than ever..........

Can anyone point me in the direction of a site to show me the types of foods
to eat at meals and the types to avoid. Like a example menu

I know I need to find the ''triggers'' for myself but surely there are some
which affect everyone like grapes or apples.

I think most of them affect everyone. Diabetes Australia
(http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/home/index.htm) have a fact sheet on GD and
on food choices. In both cases, the emphasis is on dietary management and
exercise, not insulin (though insulin might well be required).

The Australasian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society has its guidelines for
appropriate glucose levels he
http://www.adips.org/guidelines.htm
They also have some useful consumer info:
http://www.adips.org/consumer.htm

it includes:

Will the diabetes go away at the end of the pregnancy?
It is very likely that the diabetes is only associated with pregnancy, and in
almost every case, will go away as soon as the baby (and placenta) are born.
As you have been identified with the gene for diabetes you are at risk of
developing diabetes some time in the future. ADIPS recommend that you be
tested 6 - 12 weeks following birth of your baby, and again each 2-3 years.

What are the risks of Gestational Diabetes?
The immediate risk for baby if blood glucose remain uncontrolled is becoming
overweight which makes birth difficult. Large infants can mean an episiotomy
(cut in the perineum to allow baby to be born), a forceps delivery or
caesarean section. Learning to control blood glucose levels within normal
range can reduce these risks significantly. Babies born to mothers with
undiagnosed Diabetes or who have been unsuccessful in controlling blood
glucose levels are more likely to be overweight as children. This may increase
the childıs risk of health problems (eg high blood pressure, heart disease and
diabetes) in the future.

Will I be able to breastfeed my baby?
Yes. You have the right to choose how you feed your baby. The baby will not
develop diabetes or gestational diabetes from breast milk.Your baby will be
tested for low blood glucose levels (blood test from heel prick) on the first
day and early breastfeeding (within half an hour of birth) will assist baby to
maintain normal levels of blood glucose. Talk to your midwife about strategies
to reduce separation time of you and your baby and steps to take for
successful breastfeeding.

Why have I got gestational diabetes?
There was no problem in my last pregnancy / no one in my family has diabetes /
my diet is healthy / I do lots of physical activity. There are certain risk
factors associated with the development of gestational diabetes. Age, weight,
family history of diabetes or previous complicated pregnancy are the main risk
factors. Gestational diabetes may occur in women with no identifiable risk
factors. This is why ADIPS recommend that every woman be screened at 24-28
weeks.

My result of glucose level is only a little above normal. Do I really have to
bother?
The level of blood glucose is only a predictor of potential problems.
Generally, the higher the level the higher the risk. Blood glucose levels rise
as the pregnancy progress, you and your baby are still at risk if no education
and management of blood glucose occurs.

Will I need insulin injections?
Between 10% - 25% of all women with gestational diabetes need to use insulin
injections as part of their treatment. The best method of determining this
need is by checking your blood glucose levels daily as recommended by your
Doctor or Diabetes Educator.
No proof yet exists that tablets are a safe way of controlling blood glucose
levels during pregnancy. Trials are in process and some women may continue to
use their diabetes tablets under supervision during pregnancy.

And here is the Glycemic Index site, with database:
http://www.glycemicindex.com/

HTH,

Old March 8th 05, 05:14 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Chookie wrote:

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

I really don't want ot take the insulin as it looks like it's not
controlling anything anyway, but need an alternative to decrease my BG.

Be careful. They're likely to have you keep ratcheting up
the insulin until they get the numbers they want--and if they do
that giving you as little information as they have about the diet,
that could lead to some unpleasant situations.

Such as...?

Depriving the baby of enough glucose to thrive.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 8th 05, 05:17 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Chookie wrote:

The Australasian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society has its guidelines for
appropriate glucose levels he
http://www.adips.org/guidelines.htm
They also have some useful consumer info:
http://www.adips.org/consumer.htm

it includes:

snip
What are the risks of Gestational Diabetes?
The immediate risk for baby if blood glucose remain uncontrolled is becoming
overweight which makes birth difficult. Large infants can mean an episiotomy
(cut in the perineum to allow baby to be born), a forceps delivery or
caesarean section. Learning to control blood glucose levels within normal
range can reduce these risks significantly.

Studies show that treatment (usually only aggressive treatment)
can sometimes reduce the size of the babies, but they rarely show
any improvement in these other factors (episiotomy, instrumental
delivery, c-section, dystocia).

Will I need insulin injections?
Between 10% - 25% of all women with gestational diabetes need to use insulin
injections as part of their treatment.

There is no high quality medical evidence to support this
statement.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 9th 05, 08:32 PM
Kazh

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message =
Kazh wrote:

thanks Ericka, BG results still rising and they want to increase the =
insulin but I'm going to try the GI diet first before agreeing to =
anything more.
Old March 9th 05, 08:33 PM
Kazh

"Maggie" wrote in message =