Flu shot

Old October 5th 03, 12:55 AM
April

Default Flu shot

Is anyone getting this and if so/if not what have you learned about it? We
vaccine delay by nature so ANY shots worry me.......Jules is nearly 4 and
healthy although just started pre kindergarten and is bringing home so many
germs I am sick alot more......as is she. Should we consider it? I plan to
speak to midwife next visit on the 20th.
--
April~~~
Julianna 11/28/99

Old October 5th 03, 01:04 AM
Cheryl

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 19:55:57 -0400, "April"
wrote:

Is anyone getting this and if so/if not what have you learned about it? We
vaccine delay by nature so ANY shots worry me.......Jules is nearly 4 and
healthy although just started pre kindergarten and is bringing home so many
germs I am sick alot more......as is she. Should we consider it? I plan to
speak to midwife next visit on the 20th.

I had the flu shot during both my pregnancies over winter. The GP
told me that it was safe in pregnancy during the second and third
trimester. It didn't stop me getting a really bad cold during my
third trimester with #3 but it did mean that I was able to avoid being
bedridden while trying to look after two toddlers. Actually my GP
tells me that he thinks _everyone_ should have the flu vaccination
every year because it can literally wipe you out for weeks. My sister
had the flu a couple of years ago, she was in bed with a quilt and 7
blankets on, still shivering. I don't want to have something like
that, and especially not while pregnant.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
Old October 5th 03, 01:49 AM
Nina

Im not a vaccine freak, but the only 2 years I DIDNT get the shots, I had
the flue so bad I was down for nearly a month. I plan to get mine this year,
not sure if it will be before or after the baby gets here though.

Old October 5th 03, 01:53 AM
Nina

wrote:

[...]

In fall of 2000 I wasnt able to get the shot, there was a shortage. In
January I got the flu so bad I missed the first 2 weeks of school, and once
it was gone it took me nearly 6 weeks to fully recover. Same thing last
year, I was bedridden for nearly a month this Winter. Somehow in the middle
of that I got pregnant, and I was literally sick for nearly 2 months because
my immune system was just exhausted.
WIth 2 kids, a newborn and my husband away, I will most definitley be
getting my shot this year. If the baby is here when they start doing the
high risk vaccines, I will get mine when the baby gets her shots

Old October 5th 03, 03:10 AM
April

But I am being told by some that being pregnant you automatically fall into
the immuno-compromised category? I note currently I am on cold #2 now just
had a bad one two weeks ago.......this worries me.....and last year Jules (4
yrs) got the Norwalk flu, then I got it and wow.........all I can say is we
suffered SO badly...now they say SARS will reoccur so........I am a tad
concerned. Is it ok for 4 yr old to get? I hate that idea..........ugh.

--
April~~~
Julianna 11/28/99
Bean due 3/23/04
www.BreastfeedingMatters.com
- Join now!
- Join now!
"Sue" wrote in message
My family gets a flu shot every year. None of us have had a bad reaction
other than a sore arm. If you and your family is healthy with no

underlying
problems such as being immune compromised, then it isn't suggested that

you
receive it. It is only recommended for people with cancer, diabetes,

immune
compromised, asthma and/or other chronic problems.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 5th 03, 03:56 AM
Nina

"Sue" wrote in message
My family gets a flu shot every year. None of us have had a bad reaction
other than a sore arm. If you and your family is healthy with no

underlying
problems such as being immune compromised, then it isn't suggested that

you
receive it. It is only recommended for people with cancer, diabetes,

immune
compromised, asthma and/or other chronic problems.

Here they recommend it for those in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters as well.

Old October 5th 03, 03:57 AM
Nina

Our hospital includes pregnant women in the high risk category to recieve
flu shots early. After I got sick this winter and couldnt shake it, the
nurses were like "yeah,you ar pregnant so it will hit you extra hard"

Old October 5th 03, 04:02 AM
abc

Hello, in my understanding, the flu shot doesn't cover things like the
Norwalk, Sars, or the stomach flu. It just covers the really bad "cold" flu
bug that is thought to appear that year (the one that can cause pneumonia
and stuff like that). Therefore, if it is SARS, and Norsalk, and the stomach
flu that you are worried about then don't bother because it won't help
anyways. Although, I could be totally wrong so if anyone else knows
otherwise, please let me know and I will reconsider my decision as well.

Kristy
Mom to Amy who turned 2 yrs today!

Old October 5th 03, 06:55 AM
Sue

Well then it sounds like it might do your family good to get it. My oldest
has been getting a flu shot since around three years old. Talk with your
pediatrician because there wasn't a problem with the young ones getting it,
but perhaps since we are high risk, the benefits outweigh the risks.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

April wrote in message
Is anyone getting this and if so/if not what have you learned about

it?
We
vaccine delay by nature so ANY shots worry me.......Jules is nearly 4

and
healthy although just started pre kindergarten and is bringing home so

many
germs I am sick alot more......as is she. Should we consider it? I

plan
speak to midwife next visit on the 20th.
--
April~~~
Julianna 11/28/99
Bean due 3/23/04
www.BreastfeedingMatters.com
- Join now!
- Join now!

Is it too late to get flu shot now to my 21 months old? Thomas General 1 February 16th 04 06:57 PM
Did you get your kids a flu shot? Laura E. Brooks General (moderated) 30 December 12th 03 12:10 AM
Flu Shot for toddler? Jenn General 25 November 3rd 03 05:41 PM
first shot for my 2 months old... Jen Pregnancy 7 August 9th 03 02:07 AM
Updated pictures & belly shot Kari Pregnancy 1 August 1st 03 08:40 PM