Social Services, Do they really care??????????????????

Old April 8th 04, 12:28 AM
Brab At Home

Default Social Services, Do they really care??????????????????

If you were placing your child up for adoption would you you be satisfied that
they were getting the care you had hoped for with this couple?

This is a letter my wife has sent to the social services please read it and let
me know what you think. The couples names have been changed for legal reasons.

To whom it may concern,

XS and X, foster carers; Guardians of Brandon Y.

I have recently discovered that Mr and Mrs. X have applied for the adoption of
Brandon, and after my initial outrage, I feel, without a doubt, that this issue
is a matter of public interest.
I have always had questions as to their capabilities in caring with children,
but that was due to my own preconceptions of 'foster care', however, now more
than ever, I find that the idea of a 63 year old woman and 55 year old man
adopting a 3 year old child quite astonishing, especially knowing that before
Brandon was placed in their care, they had specifically asked that babies and
very young children not be considered for placement with them. Age put aside, I
have first hand seen their incompetence when it comes to caring for Brandon.
My sister, Jennifer Bailey, has been a continuing 'mother figure' in Brandon's
life, and has frequently voiced her concerns to me. And after much agonising, I
have found this to be too much to ignore. I feel that Mr and Mrs. X are not
rationally thinking of the best interests for Brandon, but the best interests
for themselves. They have given Jennifer, and her Fiancé, Mark Norris, ongoing
false hopes, encouraging them to apply for adoption, meanwhile continuing their
file for adoption. I think this illustrates just how confused they are when it
comes to the most secure, stable life for Brandon. One minute willing Jennifer
and Mark to adopt, the next, changing their minds, and wanting him themselves.
I would love for Brandon to officially be a member of our family, after all, he
has been a 'common-law' member for the past two years, and has always been a
cousin to my children and a grandson to my mother, and obviously a son to
Jennifer and Mark, However, now, I would just be happy to see that Brandon is
eventually put in a secure, well-rounded, young (er than 63 and 55),
constructive family unit. After the already, unstable, life that Brandon has
been through, I cannot see why such a young, energetic, beautiful little boy is
in the care of an elderly couple, especially knowing how may couples would love
a child such as he to love and nurture. I am not questioning Mr and Mrs, X love
for Brandon, just their objectivity. They both once said to me "I don't know
what we'd do without Brandon?" My question is
"What will they do with him?"
They have already used their age as an excuse for restricting his contact with
other children, refusing to take him to a playgroup, and his lack of social
skills.
He has shown clear signs of manipulative behaviour seen in someone twice his
age. When it comes to families, I am the first the keep my nose out, but when
it comes to someone giving up their right as a parent to provide their child
with a happier, 'better life' than they can provide, I find it inexplicable
that that child be placed with Mr and Mrs. X on a permanent basis. And if this
were the case, I would do everything in my power to prevent this from
happening.

I have taken the liberty of listing a few of my concerns below;

" Mr. X suffers with insomnia, and often takes sedatives to help him
sleep.
" Mrs. X has a drinking 'problem', (I have personally seen the extent of
this.)
I wonder, what would happen during the night, if there were a fire? Mrs X can
barely carry herself downstairs, let alone a heavy child.
" Mrs. X has suspected chrones disease, and has had frequent hospital
stays to try and discover why she has constant diarrhoea, haemorrhaging from
the rectum, and incontinence.
" Brandon has eczema, and needs to be bathed daily with lotions and
creams to be applied, which is seldom done during the week; this condition is
also aggravated by the two large dogs that also live with them.
" Previously they have sent him to respite for twice a week to have a
break, and only after Jennifer offered to have him instead, they stopped this.
" Jennifer has had Brandon for every weekend since two years ago, Which
Mr and Mrs. X have chosen not to disclose to the Social Services.
" Jennifer has had Brandon when Mrs X was admitted to hospital with
haemorrhaging for a month, which was also hidden from the social services for
fear of him being removed.
" They permit Brandon, 3 years old, to watch Spiderman the movie, which
is a twelve certificate film, before bed, leaving him susceptible to waking
through the nights with nightmares.
" They continuously leave him unattended, including an incident abroad,
where Brandon wandered off, unnoticed and fell into a swimming pool; Mark was
luckily passing by, so jumped in to rescue him.
" Mr X, only a fortnight ago, bought a dead fish home from the
fishmongers, gave it to Brandon to 'play with' with a bowl of water!? Jennifer
caught Brandon just in time, as he tried to eat it.
" Mr X has also taken Brandon for mountain walks, showing him the dead
bodies of sheep on the way.
" Mr and Mrs. X have hidden various other health problems from the Social
Services, choosing to have their medicals by their own doctor, instead of the
independent doctor that is advisable, knowing that they could omit certain
details of their health.

After Jennifer had lost her temper and disagreed with the way Mr and Mrs. X
refused to reprimand Brandon's bad behaviour, they refused to let her see him.
After 2 ˝ years of constant, almost daily contact with Jennifer and Mark, they
completely severed all contact, demonstrating their utter lack of common
decency and concern for Brandon's mental wellbeing. I have since found out that
Brandon's behaviour has deteriorated and nightmares have increased
substantially.
The whole family are devastated by the loss of such an important member, and
considering the amount of contact we have had with him (since about 6 months
old), we are almost grieving for him. We are desperate to know what will happen
to him, and were cruelly denied the opportunity to say goodbye by Mr & Mrs X

Jennifer chose to tell the Social Services about her concerns after thinking
enough was enough, and although she didn't want to lose Brandon, she couldn't
stand the way they refused to think of Brandon's best interests.
She formally voiced her concerns on the 22nd of March, being told that
Brandon's care would be immediately assessed. After 5 more visits to the Social
Services, and 4 other social workers, they finally reviewed the situation on
Friday the 2nd of April, and was subsequently placed on the 'Child in Need'
register.
Now I'm not sure about you, but after the very high profile cases surrounding
the Social Services lately, I was utterly shocked to hear that after constant
badgering, and such shocking revelations about Brandon's care, (and Mr & Mrs X
health), it took them 12 days to investigate the 'allegations' (bearing in mind
that they had no idea of Mrs X continuous hospital admissions, or her bowel
condition).
..
Jennifer and Mark had previously, on many occasions, spoken to Mr & Mrs X about
adopting Brandon themselves. This offer was received with open arms, and they
seemed delighted that they could have continued contact, and a less demanding
role with him. However, they have used this emotional hold on both Jennifer and
Mark; making it known they could stop all contact if they wanted to, whenever
they wanted to.
This is why I am infuriated with Social Services. Neither Mr or Mrs X, has
undergone any psychological evaluations, and still, an impressionable child is
under constant 'care' with them.
As Jennifer's sister, you may think this is a personal vendetta against Mr and
Mrs. X. But in view of the facts, I'm sure you will realise that this is not
the case.
Would you seriously want your child placed in permanent care with a couple such
as this, when there are tens of hundreds of families who are far more fitting
for the role of 'Parents'?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I seriously hope this
situation will be resolved in the best possible way. And a way that is in the
best interests of Brandon.

Please note, that if I have not received a reply within 7 days, I will
seriously consider going to the press.

Old May 31st 04, 07:46 AM
paul starmore

Being a foster carer in nottinghamshire for the last 14 years i am not
surprised at the amount of information about prospective adoptive parents
that does not come to light.
The whole of social services department is at best a complete mess.

.