Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Old June 26th 04, 01:45 AM
TwinMom

Default Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Man, oh man, what an active topic. I had to pop in here. With 8yo frat boys
and now an almost 4yo girl (raising my niece since 22 mos), we've crossed
this bridge, sort of. The boys always knew that they had penises and
testicles. (Suddenly remembering a bath time surprise "Mom!!! There's a ball
in my scrotum!!!" when one found his testes! ROFLMAO at the time! He thought
something he had eaten had gotten stuck!) Anyway, the general term for that
area in our house is their "parts" as in private parts, and as in more than
one thing down there. We figured that it leaves us lots of room to improve
as time goes on. It also shortens the conversations during bath time, as in
"Did you wash your parts?" or "Is all the soap out of your parts?". It gets
the message across and they can check around themselves and make sure
they're clean, etc. When it comes to specific terms for specific situations,
we use them. One DS had a terrible, irritated fungal rash last year around
his anus from improper wiping and we used that term at the doctor's and
after when discussing that specific problem. (It was kinda gross having to
apply ointment, but it was all very matter of fact and we kept him informed
of his recovery each time.) He is now much more careful BTW. When we talk
about using the slot in their underwear to go to the bathroom (a new concept
to them) we use the term penis. With our "new" DD, so far, we've just used
the term parts, because that's all we've needed, however, at potty time, she
does ask for help wiping her "bum". She knows that her bum is part of her
parts down there. As she gets older and more curious, we'll be there with
the factual answers as is age appropriate.
Oh, and one last thing, with a girl in the house, modesty has suddenly
become a big thing with the boys. Even around me. They get quite embarrassed
being caught in "the buff". Makes for some funny times.
HTH Lorraine in Los Alamos

Old June 26th 04, 02:41 AM
Cindy Senger

But, again, the OP is asking for the term for what a female urinates
from--which is not the vagina!!! So, using the word "vagina" for this question
would be giving them the wrong info, right? Or should the whole area be
refered to as the vagina? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just really don't
know...

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03--I better be figuring
this out soon, huh?)

In article , lid
says...

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:52:35 GMT, Seth Jackson
wrote:

I was once given the advice that the children should be given as much
information as they ask for. I think it was good advice.

I think I stated this poorly. The advice was to give them enough
information to satisfy their curiosity.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...ypictures.html

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Old June 26th 04, 02:58 AM
Cindy Senger

At any rate. I have been telling Riley and James the correct names for their
private parts recently. Is it because they have asked specifically? No, not
really. I have done so because they are starting preschool in September and I
will be leaving them in the care of strangers for the first time really. I
want them to be able to understand that James has a penis and it is his

private
part. It is not for show and tell and if he is being touched in that area by
anyone other then Mommy, Daddy, Grandmas, Aunties and the Dr at checkups he
should tell them to Stop and that he does not like that. He should also tell
Mommy and Daddy if this is happening to him, because it is not appropriate.
Same goes for Riley. I have told both her and James that she has a Vulva and
it is her private area. Again same rules. I tell both of my kids that they
have beautiful bodies that they should not be ashamed of. Also that part of
what makes their private areas so special is that they are not for everyone to
see.

Michelle

I'm sharing some of the same concerns with my girls starting full-time K in the
fall. I read something a few weeks ago that along with this info, you should
also tell your children that adults should never ask them to keep a secret.
Explain that sometimes an adult will ask them not to tell a surprise (like what
their brother is getting for his birthday). The difference is that everyone
always finds out about a surprise. And they should tell mommy and daddy
immediately if any adult asks them to keep a secret. I thought that was worth
repeating.

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)