Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Old June 26th 04, 07:11 PM
shirley

Default Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

But we are not talking about "dogs or cats or cars." We are speaking about
a subject that society finds "nasty" or "quiet like talking about toilet
paper" that the old lady used to whisper the word. I still sometimes feel
we have not progressed much from the 50's when I was a kid or my mom in the
30's, when my grandmother didn't tell my mom anything. Also, having been
molested at the age of 7 by a cousin's husband who was 21, I'm a bit
sensitive to making sure kids are aware. Body parts are body parts, we have
always approached things as matter of fact, answered questions only to the
question and no more until Kathleen started to rapidly develop. Like I
said, at 9.5 she knows pretty much the whole kit and caboodle. Having said
that, we started to read the 3rd Princess Diary book and right in the
beginning it talks about the mother - who is living in the foreign country
with her princess daughter and she is pregnant from a boyfriend. I got to
that part as we were reading the night stories and stopped, had to explain,
talk and I took it back to the library. Kathleen reads at a 5th grade
level, chapter books, and this was in the teen section, not adult. I was
applaud to say the least. We took it back, it was a basis for a great
discussion and had led to further questions about pregnancy and boyfriends
and marriage but they are surrounded by the stuff constantly. One of the
kindergarten teachers, a really beautiful lady, had a baby while teaching
without a husband or SO. Anyhow, I just think this whole line of 'how to
tell them things' leads to a better relationship and information. Kathleen
and her class will be going to the local health center early in the school
year this coming year to learn about sex - to which she has said "oh mom, I
know all about that stuff". There is still some giggling from her peers who
I know the mom's have not discussed much with them and they ARE developing.

Shirley

"Chotii" wrote in message

"shirley" wrote in message

Do you call your nose "nosie" or your foot "footie"? I don't see a
difference! All body parts have names and whether the children are 4 or

14
they need to know.

Actually, my MIL did this with my nephews (for whom she provided daytime
care when they were small). Drove me nuts. And the dog was an 'arf-arf'

and
the car was a 'vroom vroom'. I have no idea why she didn't want to say

'dog'
or even 'doggie' and 'car', but there you went. I can tell you the boys

use
the correct words for them now, so they don't seem to have been harmed.

--angela

Old June 26th 04, 07:15 PM
shirley

Our school facilitator tells the kids at school who have hygiene issues to
wash the "highs and the lows" which is a great term even for our kids.

Shirley

"TwinMom" wrote in message
Man, oh man, what an active topic. I had to pop in here. With 8yo frat

boys
and now an almost 4yo girl (raising my niece since 22 mos), we've crossed
this bridge, sort of. The boys always knew that they had penises and
testicles. (Suddenly remembering a bath time surprise "Mom!!! There's a

ball
in my scrotum!!!" when one found his testes! ROFLMAO at the time! He

thought
something he had eaten had gotten stuck!) Anyway, the general term for

that
area in our house is their "parts" as in private parts, and as in more

than
one thing down there. We figured that it leaves us lots of room to improve
as time goes on. It also shortens the conversations during bath time, as

in
"Did you wash your parts?" or "Is all the soap out of your parts?". It

gets
the message across and they can check around themselves and make sure
they're clean, etc. When it comes to specific terms for specific

situations,
we use them. One DS had a terrible, irritated fungal rash last year around
his anus from improper wiping and we used that term at the doctor's and
after when discussing that specific problem. (It was kinda gross having to
apply ointment, but it was all very matter of fact and we kept him

informed
of his recovery each time.) He is now much more careful BTW. When we talk
about using the slot in their underwear to go to the bathroom (a new

concept
to them) we use the term penis. With our "new" DD, so far, we've just used
the term parts, because that's all we've needed, however, at potty time,

she
does ask for help wiping her "bum". She knows that her bum is part of her
parts down there. As she gets older and more curious, we'll be there with
the factual answers as is age appropriate.
Oh, and one last thing, with a girl in the house, modesty has suddenly
become a big thing with the boys. Even around me. They get quite

embarrassed
being caught in "the buff". Makes for some funny times.
HTH Lorraine in Los Alamos

Old June 26th 04, 11:00 PM
Kender

Bra? You mean I only have 2 more years until they come on the scene. I had
no idea it was so close! Thanks for the heads up.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

"shirley" wrote in message
Do you call your nose "nosie" or your foot "footie"? I don't see a
difference! All body parts have names and whether the children are 4 or

14
they need to know. "Cute" names for those body parts and not other parts
gives kids a feeling that these parts are different and should be
"snickered" about, not just a matter of fact, at least in my opinion and

in
the opinion of the sex educators at my middle school. My MIL (who is 90)
has always told her two kids the proper names and so do we. We don't make

big deal and I can tell you where this has lead to.

Kathleen is maturing, she wears a size A bra, has all body hair that needs
to be there, shaves and knows all about periods and sex. Her wonderful
question to me when we got to the big talk was why her friends couldn't

talk
about this stuff. When I told her some friends might not be developed yet
and their moms may feel uncomfortable about talking about sex to their
daughters her wise 9 year old answer was - gee mom, it's their daughters -
why would they be uncomfortable talking about anything to them!!!! What a
wonderful question from a 9 year old. Our experience for our children is
that the real terms work - no matter how old.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

"Ellen Kmetz" wrote in message
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the need to teach 3 & 4 year-olds terms

like
"vulva" and "urethra". My boys call their penises their "winkies", they

know
that only boys have them, and we've had some very funny conversations

about who
has a winky and who doesn't. My daughter is 9 and now knows the correct

terms,
but when she was 4 she called it her "front butt" and "back butt". She

isn't
scarred for life or ashamed of her body just because at age four she

didn't
know to call it a "vagina" or "vulva". They're practically still

babies,
for
God's sake! It's CUTE when they call their privates by "pet names". So

when
they get old enough you tell them "this is what it's really called" and

that's
that. What is the big deal?? Let them be KIDS. JMO.

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old June 27th 04, 03:22 PM
Gummy Joe

I think "private parts" is sort of burdening to a child. It gets the ball
rolling toard sexual dystrophy and a fear of real intimacy. I mean, how
young does someone have to be for us to start slinging pejorative epithets
at their sexual awakening?

"Terri and Rob" wrote in message
. ..
When I was in high school, one of my friends had daughter. As a teen mom,
she had no experience or insight into "right" ways to raise a child. She
taught her daughter to refer to her vagina using the crude word beginning
with p and synonymous with cat.
I think that wins the award for the most inappropriate way of dealing with
the situation at hand, don't you?

--
Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)

"KimandJuan" wrote in message
I have never liked butt and I despise hiney, we say tush or tushie.

Alexis
corrects people all the time. I have to get onto her. She will tell

other
children,"It is not nice to say, Butt!"

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and