any good premie books

Old March 30th 04, 08:32 PM
Susan

Default any good premie books

on b/fing. I have a friend who just delivered her baby at 34 weeks. She
had mild spina bifida (they closed the small hole and say she will
suffer no lasting effects) and she has been receiving bottles the entire
time (all EBM.) I fear that the baby will never be able to b/f and I'm
trying not to be too pushy but I'm wondering if there are any good books
I can get them? I don't think she has ever latched on and she's a little
over a week old. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Susan

Old March 30th 04, 09:23 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Susan wrote:

on b/fing. I have a friend who just delivered her baby at 34 weeks. She
had mild spina bifida (they closed the small hole and say she will
suffer no lasting effects) and she has been receiving bottles the entire
time (all EBM.) I fear that the baby will never be able to b/f and I'm
trying not to be too pushy but I'm wondering if there are any good books
I can get them? I don't think she has ever latched on and she's a little
over a week old. Any ideas would be appreciated.

How about her using an SNS or finger feeder?

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old March 30th 04, 09:45 PM
toypup

"Susan" wrote in message
. ..
on b/fing. I have a friend who just delivered her baby at 34 weeks. She
had mild spina bifida (they closed the small hole and say she will
suffer no lasting effects) and she has been receiving bottles the entire
time (all EBM.) I fear that the baby will never be able to b/f and I'm
trying not to be too pushy but I'm wondering if there are any good books
I can get them? I don't think she has ever latched on and she's a little
over a week old. Any ideas would be appreciated.

DS was born at 35 weeks. He could not BF the first week due to apnea
(stopped breathing while nursing or just from being touched). The nurses
only use bottles there, no cups, syringes, etc, with the exception of
lavage. I pumped around the clock to get the milk in and so they would have
EBM to give him. Once he got the breast, he was fine. They don't all get
bottle preference or nipple confusion. She should try it to see how the
baby does. If she can't BF yet, pump around the clock to keep her supply up
for when she can BF.

Old March 30th 04, 10:33 PM
Susan Linville

If she can't BF yet, pump around the clock to keep her supply up
for when she can BF.

that's what's she's doing now. i'm just afraid that that won't be enough
but of course i have no idea. as i said, i don't want to push myself on
them but i want to help an i want the baby to get breast milk. thanks
for the advice.
susan

Old March 30th 04, 10:49 PM
Poppy

"Susan Linville" wrote in message
If she can't BF yet, pump around the clock to keep her supply up
for when she can BF.

that's what's she's doing now. i'm just afraid that that won't be enough
but of course i have no idea. as i said, i don't want to push myself on
them but i want to help an i want the baby to get breast milk. thanks
for the advice.
susan

Our ds was born at 34 weeks and didn't b/f for 10 days. I pumped all that
time, every 3 hours even in the night, so he was fed only EBM. Once he'd
had few tries at the b/f lark he decided he liked it so no nipple confusion
there - now he's almost 10 months old and hates bottles (and sippy cups etc
etc). The amounts I pumped did seem tiny but then so was he. Mind you, it's
tough going so mega lots of support needed from every angle (sounds like
you're doing that already though :-) )

A good book is 'Breastfeeding Special Care Babies' by Sandra Lang. It goes
into lots of different situations but does show that it's possible to b/f
even with tubes everywhere (which was our experience)

HTH
Poppy n Pup

Old March 30th 04, 11:06 PM
Plissken

"Susan" wrote in message
. ..
| on b/fing. I have a friend who just delivered her baby at 34 weeks. She
| had mild spina bifida (they closed the small hole and say she will
| suffer no lasting effects) and she has been receiving bottles the entire
| time (all EBM.) I fear that the baby will never be able to b/f and I'm
| trying not to be too pushy but I'm wondering if there are any good books
| I can get them? I don't think she has ever latched on and she's a little
| over a week old. Any ideas would be appreciated.

My DD would not latch on for the first 4 weeks of her life (she was fed with
bottles). She would scream whenever I tried. But I kept on trying and
eventually got her latched on with the aid of a nipple shield and eventually
she didn't need the nipple shield. If your friend is persistent and very
determined she will eventually get her baby latched on. She should
definitely hire a good lactation consultant. I had an excellent public
health nurse (who was an LC) come around to my house once a week, she was a
huge help and was very encouraging.

Nadene

Old March 31st 04, 05:44 AM
Ducky Lawyer

Susan wrote:

on b/fing. I have a friend who just delivered her baby at 34 weeks. She
had mild spina bifida (they closed the small hole and say she will
suffer no lasting effects) and she has been receiving bottles the entire
time (all EBM.) I fear that the baby will never be able to b/f and I'm
trying not to be too pushy but I'm wondering if there are any good books
I can get them? I don't think she has ever latched on and she's a little
over a week old. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The La Leche Legaue book on multiples, called Mothering Multiples, has
excellent advice for feeding and nursing premature babies. The feeding
and nursing information is applicable to singletons as well as twins and
triplets (without the need to worrya bout how to tandem nurse or boost
supply for two nurslings g).

Hope this helps,
Barbara

Old March 31st 04, 08:38 AM
Lara

Susan wrote:

on b/fing. I have a friend who just delivered her baby at 34 weeks. She
had mild spina bifida (they closed the small hole and say she will
suffer no lasting effects) and she has been receiving bottles the entire
time (all EBM.) I fear that the baby will never be able to b/f and I'm
trying not to be too pushy but I'm wondering if there are any good books
I can get them?

This is not unusual for a preemie. Books are all very well, but what she
needs right now is an IBCLC experienced with getting preemies onto the
breast, and probably some pumping support as well. Have you put her in
touch with the yahoo group pumpmoms? There are a lot of experienced
preemie mums there.

Lara
Old March 31st 04, 08:42 AM
Lara

Lara wrote:

This is not unusual for a preemie. Books are all very well, but what she
needs right now is an IBCLC experienced with getting preemies onto the
breast, and probably some pumping support as well. Have you put her in
touch with the yahoo group pumpmoms? There are a lot of experienced
preemie mums there.

Pressed send too early!

What she also needs right now is practical support as well as "but you
should breastfeed, and this is how" advice. EPing in the early days is
bloody hard work. If you are nearby, she might really appreciate you
going around and amusing the baby while she pumps (if she's home from
hospital), doing the dishes, doing a load of laundry, tidying up, buying
some groceries, cooking a meal, and helping her modify a bra into a
handsfree pump kit.

Lara

Speech & Reading Comprehension: Kids books recommendations Leigh Menconi Kids Health 0 July 24th 04 06:59 PM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
RECALL: "Amazing Baby™ Listen and Play" activity books DeliciousTruffles General 0 November 7th 03 08:59 PM
keeping track of libary books Karen G General (moderated) 15 September 13th 03 02:52 PM
50 reasons it's good to be pregnant [email protected] Pregnancy 2 September 9th 03 11:06 PM