Question: regaining lost milk supply?

Old April 5th 04, 02:08 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default Question: regaining lost milk supply?

In ,
Naomi Rivkis wrote:

*I know she's not getting enough from me; we've had to supplement with
*formula almost from the beginning. She would drain me and then howl
*for more.

Even that isn't necessarily indicative of a problem. I mean, the nursing
and then howling for more... sounds like my son. He had to stay latched on
75% of the time or he'd just wail. Before you started supplementing, was
there a problem with diaper output? That's really the only way to know for
sure if the baby is getting enough - counting wet and dirty diapers. The
more you supplement, the less milk your body will try to make, so
supplementing is bad for supply. Obviously if your baby truly needs the
supplementation, you need to give it - but you could try giving it via an
SNS or other similar setup, so that the baby suckles at the breast while
getting the supplement, thus providing the needed stimulation to your
breasts to make still more milk.

*breast for a while even when she's hungry, and she's swallowing. But
*she doesn't get anywhere near enough given the quantity of formula she
*gulps down after she's finished with the breasts.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Again, I am not saying your baby
definitely doesn't need supplements, because I'm not there. You should
work in conjunction with a lactation consultant and BF-friendly
pediatrician to figure out a plan for your baby. But some babies will
happily guzzle bottle after bottle after bottle, it doesn't mean they
aren't getting enough.

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM
Will milk supply rebound--toddler? Spanannie Breastfeeding 3 September 8th 03 07:17 PM