stinky belly button on newborn...???

Old December 22nd 05, 12:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default stinky belly button on newborn...???

In article .com,
"Amy" wrote:

I found a good picture he

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/newbor...cordcare_5.htm

I think that article's about 20 years out of date. Alcohol etc are not
advised here any more. Just dig a cotton bud into the wrinkle around the
stump to dry it after the bath.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old December 22nd 05, 02:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message

"Amy" wrote in message
ups.com...

oregonchick wrote:
Emily is 9 days old now. We've been taking care to keep the belly
button
stump dry, and watching it for any sign of problem. I started to notice
today that something about her was stinky. I assumed her bottom, but
realized the odor was coming from the cord stump. There is no redness
or
swelling, but it is starting to come off on one edge, and behind the
stump
it looks gooey. ICK. Should I worry? Is there something I should put
on
it? Does this warrant a call to the pediatrician? I can't wait for it
fall off!

Using a cotton swab, gently run around the stump with some rubbing
alcohol. You're going to want to GENTLY tug the stump in the opposite
direction (so if you're swabbing at 12 o'clock, you're gently pulling
the stump in the direction of 6 o'clock) so that you expose the yellow,
cruddy, wet part that's under the brown, cruddy part. You're aiming to
get the rubbing alcohol on the yellow part.

Do this a couple times a day, and see if she still stinks in a couple
days. If so, I'd take her in, but I'd imagine that it only stinks
because it's getting ready to fall off.

Amy

It's so gross! You have this beautiful little baby, and then this stinky
ugly stump... I remember they told me to use rubbing alcohol on my first
daughter 8 yrs ago, but this time around they told me not to. I was
wondering, will the rubbing alcohol sting like it does when you put it on
an open wound?

I gather that the rubbing alcohol has been ceased because it actually helps
PRESERVE the stump and keep it on there much longer than it should be.

I don't know much about stinky stumps though, and I might call my ped's
office, just for the heck of it.

Old December 22nd 05, 02:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

oregonchick wrote:

It's so gross! You have this beautiful little baby, and then this stinky
ugly stump...

I know! I found it kind of sad, too... It was like the last evidence
of her physical attachment to me was going away. I'm weird, though,
and then I remembered that we're nursing, so she'll be physically
attached, intermittently, for a while yet.

LOL, I wanted to save the stump for the kid in his baby book, but the dog
ate it before I had time to realize what it was when it fell out of the kids
clothes.

Old December 23rd 05, 04:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Amy" wrote:

I found a good picture he

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/newbor...cordcare_5.htm

I think that article's about 20 years out of date. Alcohol etc are not
advised here any more. Just dig a cotton bud into the wrinkle around the
stump to dry it after the bath.

Pediatrician said NOT to give a bath until after the stump falls off. Today
at 2 wk appt ped told me to go ahead and use alcohol a few times a day until
it does fall off.... Go figure.

Old December 23rd 05, 06:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article ,
"oregonchick" wrote:

I think that article's about 20 years out of date. Alcohol etc are not
advised here any more. Just dig a cotton bud into the wrinkle around the
stump to dry it after the bath.

Pediatrician said NOT to give a bath until after the stump falls off.

If your baby hasn't had a bath since he was born, he'd be VERY stinky by now!

DS2 didn't have a bath until day 3 (I was hooked up to a drip) and the blood
on his head was starting to smell a bit strong. Not off, but strong.

Old December 23rd 05, 08:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

DD2 didn't have a bath until she was 2 weeks old and she didn't smell at
all. But she had had a thorough sponging

--
Pip

My girls :
DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early now 10 months and has just learned to crawl
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early now 3.75 yrs Favourite saying "I'm a big girl
cause I go to school Kindy"

"Inside me is a skinny women screaming to get out........but I can normally
keep the b*tch quiet with cookies"

Old December 23rd 05, 01:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

DS2 didn't have a bath until day 3 (I was hooked up to a drip) and the
blood
on his head was starting to smell a bit strong. Not off, but strong.

DS was given a bath not long after birth, not plunged in, but a very
thorough one end, then the other. DD was not washed at all, we wiped her
down as well as we could, but she was pretty gunky, so she got a bath fairly
soon after we got home, I've got a picture of her it the bath with the cord
still attached.

Anne