The latest on Crib Bumpers?

Old June 24th 04, 06:21 PM
Usenet Fan

Default The latest on Crib Bumpers?

What's the latest theory on the safety or use of crib bumpers? I
never bought one, as I felt it was a soft thing in the crib that could
be a suffocation risk. Now that DS is almost 7 months old and is
rolling and scooching around, he gets himself into the corners of the
crib, rolls around and bonks his head, and sticks his hands and feet
through the slats.

I am reluctant to buy a bumper unless I know the latest views on their
safety. Since he's mobile, is the SIDS/suffocation risk gone?

Can I use a crib bumper in conjunction with a crib tent? We have that
to keep the kitties from cozying up in the crib, but we figure it will
help keep DS in at some point when he's climbing.

TIA for any information

Robin
Old June 24th 04, 07:04 PM
Sue

I have always used bumper pads on the cribs and I had no problems. They say
that the kids can use them to get themselves up and over the crib, but I
can't see how that would happen with the thin pads that I have used. I think
that you probably have to use your own judgement on them.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

m...

Old June 24th 04, 08:30 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Usenet Fan wrote:

What's the latest theory on the safety or use of crib bumpers? I
never bought one, as I felt it was a soft thing in the crib that could
be a suffocation risk. Now that DS is almost 7 months old and is
rolling and scooching around, he gets himself into the corners of the
crib, rolls around and bonks his head, and sticks his hands and feet
through the slats.

I am reluctant to buy a bumper unless I know the latest views on their
safety. Since he's mobile, is the SIDS/suffocation risk gone?

That risk is lowered, but you're not to use bumpers
at this age because they can use them to try to scramble out
of the crib as a leg up. Also, the ties can pose a hazard
unless they're cut very short. If you have bumpers, you're
supposed to remove them by this time.

Can I use a crib bumper in conjunction with a crib tent? We have that
to keep the kitties from cozying up in the crib, but we figure it will
help keep DS in at some point when he's climbing.

I don't see why you couldn't, but really, I don't
see why you would. They learn pretty quickly not to
bonk themselves too hard. As far as the climbing out
goes, personally, I'd put the kid in a bed by that point,
rather than risk a fall (even with a crib tent). Do
your kitties really get in the crib with the baby?

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 24th 04, 08:48 PM
Tori M.

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Usenet Fan wrote:

[...]

I dont know about her cats but my cat runs as far away from the crib as he
can. My daughter torments the cat enough when she is out of the crib to get
too close to her in it

Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 24th 04, 09:01 PM
glunk

Usenet Fan wrote:

What's the latest theory on the safety or use of crib bumpers? I
never bought one, as I felt it was a soft thing in the crib that could
be a suffocation risk. Now that DS is almost 7 months old and is
rolling and scooching around, he gets himself into the corners of the
crib, rolls around and bonks his head, and sticks his hands and feet
through the slats.

I am reluctant to buy a bumper unless I know the latest views on their
safety. Since he's mobile, is the SIDS/suffocation risk gone?

That risk is lowered, but you're not to use bumpers
at this age because they can use them to try to scramble out
of the crib as a leg up.

I have read this before. I cannot imagine it. The bumpers on DD's crib have
no structure. If she stepped on it, it would crumble like a blanket. Are
some crib bumpers stiff?

Also, the ties can pose a hazard
unless they're cut very short. If you have bumpers, you're
supposed to remove them by this time.

I never did with DS until much later. And I was motivated. I think changing
the sheet on a crib with a bumper is a pain in the neck. But maybe we were
just in the ignorantly lucky camp.

#4 due July 7, 2004, who will use bumper pads

Old June 27th 04, 06:40 AM
Usenet Fan

Ericka Kammerer wrote in message ...

That risk is lowered, but you're not to use bumpers
at this age because they can use them to try to scramble out
of the crib as a leg up. Also, the ties can pose a hazard
unless they're cut very short. If you have bumpers, you're
supposed to remove them by this time... Do
your kitties really get in the crib with the baby?

I think I've decided NOT to get the bumpers. DS actually started to
pull up on the slats today, so I think he'd certainly use a bumper to
get up higher, and I have to lower the mattress as it is, I don't
think I should add an assistance, even if they do squish down. I
think the crib tent covers most of the slats where the bumpers would
tie on, making attaching them to the crib an issue anyway.

And no, the kitties don't get in the crib with the baby. They tend to
stay away from him since he can pull ears and fur with a fierce grip.
But pre-tent, I caught one snuggled up in there alone, and I don't
want them leaving fur all over the crib sheets, or ever thinking
that's a place they can sleep or play. The tent prevents all that...

Thanks to all who responded.

For a friend - Baby's leg getting caught in crib bars? Sophie General 14 March 11th 04 07:54 PM
latest "Notes from the Windowsill" Wendy E. Betts General 0 November 25th 03 03:28 AM
POLL: Refusing Crib Allie General 9 November 13th 03 03:29 PM
latest Notes from the Windowsill Wendy E. Betts General 0 August 30th 03 11:24 PM