How am I doing bathing my son?

Old November 28th 07, 05:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Psalm Nuclei

Default How am I doing bathing my son?

DW and I bought a fisher price tub but i didn't care for it. We used
it once.

Ever since I've been in the tub with our son. For the first 3 or 4
months he was small enough where I would lay him on top of my legs and
bathe him that way.

Now that he's 6 months and growing, and can sit up on his own, he sits
between my legs and faces fowards (his back to me).

I fill the tub to where the water comes up above his legs so that when
he gets slippery and slides down his face doesnt get in the water.

i also don't like using a washcloth because they dont seem to get
lathered up. i prefer putting a dollop of soap in my hand then
lathering my hands and washing him that way, rinsing him with a cup.

am i doing what most people do that bathe with their child(ren)? any
other tips or advice much appreciated!

he seemst to enjoy it. he splashes or grabs at the water with his
hands i guess he's still exploring the bath since he just started
sitting up in it.
Old November 28th 07, 05:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Psalm Nuclei

oh, when i was his head, i lean him back against my stomach (again his
back still towards me) and rinse backwards. when i rub the soap on his
cheeks i use my hands to rinse his cheeks off directly.

when i wash his bottom i put him up on my legs, he faces ceiling, and
reach over and soap up his bottom then i put him back into the water
and run my hands all around his bottom to rinse/wash him off.

sound good?

he doesn't cry so he musn't mind it.
Old November 28th 07, 05:28 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Nov 28, 11:23 am, Psalm Nuclei wrote:
[...]

Once they were able to sit by themselves, I bathed them in the kitchen
sink. I have a foot deep sink in my kitchen. I used to fill it up a
few inches. My kids loved to splash the water. It was also easy on my
back since I don't have to bend. I kept a bucket of water on the
counter and just gave them a wash after they are done playing.
Old November 28th 07, 06:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article ,
Psalm Nuclei says...

[...]

If you don't bathe your baby right there will be severe reprucussions well into
his adulthood!

;-) kidding...

I experimented, and settled on a bathtup ring (one of those things that the baby
sits into) and bathed my son in the bathtub with him in the ring. I used a thin
washcloth but didn't rub much - possibly you have hard water preventing the
lather. He didn't like the baby tub, and I was too paranoid about dropping him
to use the kitchen sink.

Using too much soap may dry his skin too much - some pediatricians say no soap
at all (but I used a little soap). Or it may not. I've always taken the
position that people can figure out if their baby's skin is dry.

Be right there with two hands every single second (break free of the tyrrany of
the phone!), watch that watever you're using doesn't dry his skin too much or
lead to a rash, that's about it. It doesn't have to happen every day, but if he
like it so much every day isn't so bad.

Banty

Old November 28th 07, 06:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

You don't bath your child like I did, but whatever works and you're happy. I
couldn't imagine bathing with a slippery, wriggly baby so I bathed them in
the kitchen sink until they got too big and then they sat up in the tub. I
prefer a washcloth, I put soap on the washcloth and it lathers up really
well. Rinsing their heads were done with the attachment on the sink and then
under the faucet when they were older. I just positioned them backwards and
put their heads under the faucet.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 28th 07, 07:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Psalm Nuclei

On Nov 28, 1:39 pm, "Sue" wrote:
[...]

sitting up in it.- Hide quoted text -

Hmm.. maybe I will give him a bath every night then, but just not soap
him up too much! That's a good idea.

And I like the idea about the sink, once he can sit on his own. Right
now he can sit up good but when he starts to go backwards he can't
stop himself and *plonk* goes the head on the floor. that's why i sit
in back of him in the tub.
Old November 28th 07, 08:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Pologirl

I washed my first in the kitchen sink, laid on a thick towel, until he
was old enough to sit in the bathtub. Old enough = no longer at risk
of falling over. For bathtub baths I would kneel and lean over the
side.

I now have 2 kids, 2.5 years apart in age. To avoid separate baths,
when the younger one was a baby I got in the tub with both of them and
held the baby while DH sat beside the tub. The baby didn't stay in
long: I would hand her to DH then wash the older one. I never got in
or out while holding a baby; too slippery. Now that the younger one
is older, they go in the tub together and I kneel and lean over the
side.

As a rule they get shampoo on their hair 1x per week and no soap on
their bodies; they don't get that dirty and too much soap makes their
skin dry and itch. A washcloth and a little elbow grease (=effort by
me) is enough to get them clean. If they need an emergency wash, I do
it in the sink or in the tub with the drain open.

Pologirl
Old November 28th 07, 08:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Nov 28, 2:26�pm, Psalm Nuclei wrote:
On Nov 28, 1:39 pm, "Sue" wrote:

[...]

in back of him in the tub.- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like it is fine if that is what works for you. I used the
kitchen sink alot, as that was easier on my back and knees. Now that I
have 3 kids, with the youngest being 2, I often use the laundry tubs
(2 sides) to do 2 kids at once too. They can be filled deep enough to
keep the older kids warm for theirs and low enough to keep the 2-y/o
warm enough for his. I still use the regular tub too, just depends on
my mood and my aches and pains. As an aside, I never put soap on the
cheeks to the point it was lathery, I just soaped up the washcloth,
rinsed it out to where no soapy bubbles would be left on the skin, and
wiped the faces clean. As for rinsing hair, leaning baby back into the
crook (elbow) of your arm for a rinse with either a cupful of water or
hand splashed with the other-free hand always worked over here.
Old November 28th 07, 09:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Psalm Nuclei

See I'm so used to washing dishes with a soapy spunge (to where you
see bubbles when you squeeze it) that I half expect the washcloth to
be the same. And when I don't see a lot of lather with the washcloth I
felt it wasn't soapy enough.

Old November 28th 07, 09:55 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Nov 28, 1:39 pm, "Sue" wrote:

I put soap on the washcloth and it lathers up really
well.

If you want it to lather up even better, i.e. bubble bath style, get
it good & wet & soapy all over, press its edges tight around your
mouth forming a pouch such that no air can escape, and blow thru it.
Heaps of foam!

Robert

Strep b and bathing Vijay Pregnancy 3 July 26th 05 03:12 PM
Bathing newborns through about 6 months? Jill Pregnancy 35 July 12th 04 07:51 PM
bathing suit for 1 year old where to find??? Darryl General 4 December 16th 03 06:34 AM
post caesarian bathing?? lovey Pregnancy 3 July 23rd 03 11:47 PM