Babee Tenda crib WARNING...

Old January 18th 04, 03:08 AM
Chris Haviland

Default Babee Tenda crib WARNING...

Over time people ask about the Babee Tenda crib / feeding table. My
wife and I are customers of Babee Tenda. It happened like this: We got
a post card in the mail offering a free baby safety seminar. We went.
The seminar was very informative, and made a lot of sense. I will say
I agree with what we learned there. But half way through, we
recognized that it was actually a sales pitch for Babee Tenda in
disguise. I was disgruntled that they pulled an Amway trick on me, but
still, we did like their product demonstrations. They are trying to
sell a crib and a feeding table, plus accessories. They also suggest
specific other safe products, not made by Babee Tenda, and you can
order these items through them. (I'm sure this is a commissioned
arrangement, but as I say, I agree with the reasons given regarding
their safety.)

Then they give you a "discount" if you buy now (rather then go home
and think about it). This is because in sales, most people who get
time to think about change their mind. It's an old tactic. But we
liked what we saw, so we purchased everything. Heck, I was happy
because now I didn't have to shop and compare so much, and everything
we got was safe, safe, safe.

(I would bet, however, that many of the accidents they say happen with
unsafe products are more due to dumb parents than anything else.)

My wife and I are fond of what they sold us. I am satisfied in the
construction and usefulness of their products. I will grant you I've
seen "better looking" cribs, but I don't think this one is ugly at
all. It's just rather plain. (My wife likes plain.)

But here's the REAL issue, and whomever hasn't bought a Babee Tenda
crib had BETTER KNOW THIS!!

The crib is not the standard size!

When you go to the store, all the fitted sheets for baby mattresses or
anything else for a crib are a certain size (28" x 52" I think). The
Babee Tenda crib (at least the one WE got, but we were never offered a
choice in SIZES), has a mattress and box spring that is 28" x 55".
HELLO! This was a rude awakening. We looked and looked and looked for
fitted sheets in our size. NONE. I searched the internet, and all the
major vendors don't even TELL you what size a baby sheet is, or a
bumper pad, or etc. That's because they are standardized. So we are
FORCED to buy the few plain sheets that are sold by Babee Tenda. They
have done this to make sure that we only buy sheets from them. And
when the baby is older, forget about buying a matching "crib set."
None of them will fit. They're too short.

The fitted sheets sold by Babee Tenda are not bad. Just plain. Plain
yellow, plain blue, plain white, etc. It's not that I dislike their
sheets, it's that we don't have a choice. We have to pay for their
sheets at their prices and that's it. For good. Forever. Unless I can
find someone who sells a sheet in our size, which looks to be very
difficult.
Old January 18th 04, 03:58 AM
Amy

I don't think this product is available here in NZ, but it's good of you to
let everyone on the ng know. Here we have only two sizes for all our cots,
Standard & American, the american being the bigger of the two. Everything is
marked as such, although most cots you buy now are American.
It's a rotten trick, and I wonder if it breaches fair trading standards, to
not inform you of this at the time of purchase. Sure you could have measured
it, but why would you when it is something that is so standardised?
Seems a bit like selling someone an expensive set of measuring utensils, and
then finding out later that their version of a metric cup, teaspoon, kilo
etc is not the same as the one everyone else uses, and you'll have to use
their recipe books forever. Hardly fair IMHO. Have you written to the
manufacturer?

om...

Old January 18th 04, 05:30 AM
Denise Anderson

[...]

Ick. I hate it when that happens. Does your wife sew? Sheets are fairly
easy to make, and I suck at sewing.

Old January 18th 04, 12:39 PM
Jacqui

Chris Haviland wibbled

The fitted sheets sold by Babee Tenda are not bad. Just plain.
Plain yellow, plain blue, plain white, etc. It's not that I
dislike their sheets, it's that we don't have a choice. We have to
pay for their sheets at their prices and that's it. For good.
Forever. Unless I can find someone who sells a sheet in our size,
which looks to be very difficult.

Buy regular sizes and add a piece of plain fabric at either end just
for tucking-in purposes? (2 minutes with a sewing machine.) If it's
only a 3" difference that will barely show, and you can always add more
at one end than the other, place it unevenly on the mattress, and cover
any showing parts with toys or a blanket or something.

We had slight issues with our (UK) crib (Mamas and Papas) which was
very slightly bigger than our sheets (Mothercare) but we just bought
cot-bed sheets and folded them to fit (surplus fabric under the head
end, mimicking the raised mattress he had in SCBU, helped with his
chest). They're now on the cot-bed, so no waste.

Jac
Old January 18th 04, 08:05 PM
Welches

When you go to the store, all the fitted sheets for baby mattresses or
anything else for a crib are a certain size (28" x 52" I think). The
Babee Tenda crib (at least the one WE got, but we were never offered a
choice in SIZES), has a mattress and box spring that is 28" x 55".
HELLO! This was a rude awakening. We looked and looked and looked for
fitted sheets in our size. NONE. I searched the internet, and all the
major vendors don't even TELL you what size a baby sheet is, or a
bumper pad, or etc. That's because they are standardized. So we are
FORCED to buy the few plain sheets that are sold by Babee Tenda. They
have done this to make sure that we only buy sheets from them. And
when the baby is older, forget about buying a matching "crib set."
None of them will fit. They're too short.

Hmmm. 3" doesn't make that much difference even in fitted sheets. Try
cot-bed size-they're bigger, but I can't remember how much.
I use cot bed sheets on my dd#1's junior bed. It's 8" longer than cot beds,
but the main thing that makes the difference for the cot bed is that the
mattress is about 2x as thick. It stays on fine as it is, but I've run a
piece of elastic to go round the corners just to keep it secure. I even use
a cot bed duvet. It's again a touch short, but it doesn't matter (yet).
Debbie

Old February 19th 04, 08:34 PM
mumstheword

Default Carter 28x52 deep pocket sheets fit fine

The Carter 28x52 deep pocket sheets are
the same size as the Babee Tenda sheets.
The Babee Tenda mattress is a few inches
longer and wider but also a few inches
thinner all the way around so the over-

Old February 19th 04, 09:21 PM
mumstheword

Default Carter 28x52 deep pocket sheets fit fine part 2

The Carter 28x52 deep pocket sheets are
the same size as the Babee Tenda sheets.
The Babee Tenda mattress is a few inches
longer and wider but also a few inches
thinner all the way around so the over-
all size is the same for store mattress
and the Babee Tenda mattress. I found the
biggest difference in the sheet companies.
They may all say 28x52 but the sides of
the sheets and the reach under the mattress
is hugely different. It is not the Babee Tenda
mattress it is trial and error with the different
sheet companies. Hopefully someday the side
length and reach under the mattress will be
a standard and not just the length and width
which is only half the measurements needed.
It is a sheet problem not a mattress problem.