Calcium needed?

Old July 11th 03, 11:18 PM
iphigenia

Default Calcium needed?

Gabe had his 2-year WBV today. The ped said that I could switch him to
low-fat milk now. I told him, well, Gabe doesn't like cow's milk. I was a
bit surprised that he didn't ask about breastmilk or formula then, but he
voiced a concern about calcium. In a way I can understand this since Gabe
doesn't like meat or cheese (though he'll sometimes eat melted cheese mixed
in with other food) or vegetables (though I do puree them and sneak them
into sauces).

Anyone have info on breastmilk and calcium? What solid foods are high in
calcium? The ped's suggestions (fortified OJ and Tums) will not be tolerable
to DS.

BTW, he is one skinny guy - 35" tall but only 26lbs 2 oz! He doesn't look
underfed, though, just tall and lean.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 12th 03, 01:15 AM
Clisby Williams

iphigenia wrote:

Anyone have info on breastmilk and calcium? What solid foods are high in
calcium? The ped's suggestions (fortified OJ and Tums) will not be tolerable
to DS.

I'm hoping for good effects from the sidewalk chalk. (It's not just a
toy! It's a food!)

Clisby

Old July 12th 03, 01:35 AM
Corinne

"iphigenia" wrote in message
[...]

Iphigenia, I don't have info on BM & calcium, but I do have some links that
might help you with non-dairy sources of calcium:

http://www.interlog.com/~john13/recipes/calcium.htm

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/columnha/ha0206.html

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html

http://www.myhealth24.com/pacificare...eo/osmilk.html

http://www.healthplanning.gov.bc.ca/...e/hfile70.html

HTH,
Corinne

Old July 12th 03, 01:42 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Actually, unless Gabe is still breastfeeding a great deal, then your
doctor is correct to be concerned about calcium intake. THe effects of
insufficient calcium aren't always immediate; they can show up in such
was as weak teeth (which you won't see until the teeth that are growing
now pop through) or weak bones.

I don't recall the amount of calcium that a 2-year old should have, but
you can get that information from your doctor directly.

There are lots of ways to get calcium into a diet, even one that's
completely free of dairy. Soy is popular, as are enriched juices (not
just OJ comes enriched these days), canned sardines or canned salmon
**with the bones mixed in**, or a calcium supplement. (There are
several on the market, both dairy-free and otherwise, that are basically
soft candies with calcium thrown in.)

If you want some other ideas, visit my web site. There's a brief
section on calcium that includes a link to a site with plenty of calcium
information.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

Old July 12th 03, 04:21 AM
Brandy Kurtz

"iphigenia" wrote in message ...
Gabe had his 2-year WBV today. The ped said that I could switch him to
low-fat milk now. I told him, well, Gabe doesn't like cow's milk. I was a
bit surprised that he didn't ask about breastmilk or formula then, but he
voiced a concern about calcium. In a way I can understand this since Gabe
doesn't like meat or cheese (though he'll sometimes eat melted cheese mixed
in with other food) or vegetables (though I do puree them and sneak them
into sauces).

Anyone have info on breastmilk and calcium? What solid foods are high in
calcium? The ped's suggestions (fortified OJ and Tums) will not be tolerable
to DS.

BTW, he is one skinny guy - 35" tall but only 26lbs 2 oz! He doesn't look
underfed, though, just tall and lean.

I know that there are calcium supplements that taste like chocolate.
You try and see if he would eat those!

Brandy
Old July 12th 03, 04:36 AM
iphigenia

Corinne wrote:

Iphigenia, I don't have info on BM & calcium, but I do have some
links that might help you with non-dairy sources of calcium:

Thanks! I'll look around and see if there's anything he might eat on those.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 12th 03, 04:43 AM
iphigenia

Brandy Kurtz wrote:
I know that there are calcium supplements that taste like chocolate.
You try and see if he would eat those!

Beth mentioned those, too. Only problem is that he doesn't like sweet things
generally. I've seen him eat around the chocolate chips in cookies!

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 12th 03, 03:34 PM
iphigenia

Clisby Williams wrote:

I'm hoping for good effects from the sidewalk chalk. (It's not just
a toy! It's a food!)

Huh, there's a thought. After all, he does seem to be perfectly willing to
put any writing implement in his mouth... : )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 12th 03, 03:34 PM
iphigenia

E wrote:

no ideas to answer your question, but another way to sneak it in - I
add powdered milk to all sorts of stuff -

Good idea - I bet it would mix really well with sauces. Thanks!

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 12th 03, 04:09 PM
Brandy Kurtz

"iphigenia" wrote in message ...
Brandy Kurtz wrote:
I know that there are calcium supplements that taste like chocolate.
You try and see if he would eat those!

Beth mentioned those, too. Only problem is that he doesn't like sweet things
generally. I've seen him eat around the chocolate chips in cookies!

HaHa! I guess that does make it more of a challenge...

Brandy