Question on Avent Isis manual pump

Old July 8th 03, 08:11 PM
Irina

Default Question on Avent Isis manual pump

I plan to use this pump at work, but it says in the instructions that
it needs to be washed and sterilized after each use!!! I need to pump
at least twice while I am at work, and of course there is no way I can
sterilize it or even wash as the "breastfeeding room" at work is
nowhere close to the bathroom (and i wouldn't want to wash it in the
bathroom anyway). So what do you do? Can I use it twice without washin
it? How do other working moms work around this?
Old July 8th 03, 09:31 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Irina wrote:

Can I use it twice without washin it?

I've kept mine (assembled and capped off) in the fridge
between pumpings. Lacking access to a fridge, I'd keep it
in a cooler or insulated bag with an ice pack, or where ever
else you're keeping the milk. But I'd want that milk to be
fed the next day, rather than several days later.

Phoebe

Old July 8th 03, 09:40 PM
Elana Kehoe

Irina wrote:

I plan to use this pump at work, but it says in the instructions that
it needs to be washed and sterilized after each use!!! I need to pump
at least twice while I am at work, and of course there is no way I can
sterilize it or even wash as the "breastfeeding room" at work is
nowhere close to the bathroom (and i wouldn't want to wash it in the
bathroom anyway). So what do you do? Can I use it twice without washin
it? How do other working moms work around this?

I think I have seen that people just put the whole thing in the
fridge...

Old July 9th 03, 02:43 PM
Irina

Thanks everyone for the answers! I do have a fridge where I can put
the whole thing - so that would be OK then to use it again without
cleaning if I put it in the fridge? That would be great! Not so sure
about the wipes - wouldn't the chemicals on it (whatever makes it
antibacterial) kind of harmful if it gets in the milk?
Thank you very much again!
Old July 9th 03, 06:47 PM
Lucy

Not so sure
about the wipes - wouldn't the chemicals on it (whatever makes it
antibacterial) kind of harmful if it gets in the milk?

To be honest, I hadn't given it much thought. I was advised to do that by
one of the nurses in our medical department and like the sheep that I am,
blindly followed the advice.

In my case, I shouldn't think it would cause too many problems, since I'm
using fresh bottles to collect the milk at every pumping, so the milk only
comes into contact with the chemicals (it's parachlorometaxylenol) as it
passes through the piece that goes from my breast to the bottle.
Nonetheless, I think I should start putting those pieces in the fridge
instead of cleaning them.

Old July 10th 03, 05:17 AM
Laurie

Irina wrote in message . ..
I plan to use this pump at work, but it says in the instructions that
it needs to be washed and sterilized after each use!!! I need to pump
at least twice while I am at work, and of course there is no way I can
sterilize it or even wash as the "breastfeeding room" at work is
nowhere close to the bathroom (and i wouldn't want to wash it in the
bathroom anyway). So what do you do? Can I use it twice without washin
it? How do other working moms work around this?

I would certainly wash it, bring a plastic bowl or basin to work with you to
wash it in. You dont need to sterilize it though.

FWIW, I have the avent and while it's a great pump to use at home for a
bottle here or there, it's hard to pump with while at work since it's single
and fairly slow. I used it at work with my first baby and made the plunge
for the good double electric this time. Since you have to pump twice, you
may want to consider it.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*

Old July 10th 03, 05:18 AM
Laurie

Elana Kehoe wrote in message ...
Irina wrote:

I plan to use this pump at work, but it says in the instructions that
it needs to be washed and sterilized after each use!!! I need to pump
at least twice while I am at work, and of course there is no way I can
sterilize it or even wash as the "breastfeeding room" at work is
nowhere close to the bathroom (and i wouldn't want to wash it in the
bathroom anyway). So what do you do? Can I use it twice without washin
it? How do other working moms work around this?

I think I have seen that people just put the whole thing in the
fridge...

Actually, I've done that too.

Old July 10th 03, 08:18 AM
CY

So you have access to a microwave? Medela makes quick steam bags made
especially for sterilizing between uses. You just put some water in it and
throw in the microwave for about 2 minutes. If you can just rinse the parts
in the bathroom maybe you could use that.

On a different note, if you are working full time, the Avent pump may not be
enough to keep your supply up. As someone else suggested, a double electric
may be a better bet. Those manuals are generally meant for occasional
pumping. I had a lady buy one of these and use it every day, several times
a day, and within 2 months she was back buying another one because the
handle broke due to excessive use. Just something you may want to keep in
mind!
om...

Old July 10th 03, 04:23 PM
Dawn Lawson

CY wrote:

So you have access to a microwave? Medela makes quick steam bags made
especially for sterilizing between uses.

Avent makes a microwave sterilizer.
Not sure if it would be appropriate or how long it takes.
Frankly, I would just bung the whole pump into the fridge between uses, if it
was just for the day.

Dawn

Old July 11th 03, 09:35 PM
HollyLewis

On a different note, if you are working full time, the Avent pump may not be
enough to keep your supply up.

Maybe so, but I wouldn't worry about it unless the baby is less than 4 months
old or the mother has supply issues to begin with.

I started when DS was 6 months old and I pumped twice a day, every weekday, for
several months. (Then once a day, then not every day, then finally stopped
when he was 13 months.) It was fine. The availability of the Avent is really
the only reason I was able to pump for DS at all because I had (have)
psychological barriers around hooking myself up to an electric machine.

The women I've known to have trouble keeping up their supply with a pump have
all had to start pumping by the time the baby was 3 months old, if not earlier
-- regardless of the type of pump used. I can't think of any who've had
problems after returning to work at 6+ months -- regardless of the type of pump
used.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2 yrs

Another child killed in kincare Kane General 39 February 12th 04 07:55 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM