Medical Illustrators to the rescue! (I hope)

Old April 21st 04, 05:54 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Medical Illustrators to the rescue! (I hope)

OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30%. See PROOF below.

PREGNANT WOMEN: See the very end of this post for simple instructions on
how to allow your birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30%...

Sue Snape
Medical Illustrator
Nucleus Medical Art

Medical Legal Art
The Doe Report
1275 Shiloh Road
Suite 3130
Kennesaw, GA 30144
Phone: 800.338.5954 or 770.805.0460
Fax: 770.805.0430
Email:

Sue,

As most are aware, medical illustrators at Nucleus Medical Art/Medical Legal
Art are the BEST.

As I indicated on the telephone today, I am hoping Nucleus Medical
Art/Medical Legal Art will produce illustrations/animations of birth which
show how standard woman-on-her-back delivery positions (dorsal and
semisitting) close the birth canal up to 30%:

Currently, Nucleus Medical Art/Medical Legal Art animations perpetuate the
bizarre obstetric practice of closing birth canals up to 30%...
http://www.medicallegalart.com/animation.html

I was surprised when you said you had not heard that woman-on-her-back
delivery positions close the birth canal up to 30%.

I thought KASOWITZ BENSON attorneys (or other attorneys I've contacted)
might have contacted you by now...

See Pregnant attorneys: Do juries really need OBs?

BTW, my post to KASOWITZ BENSON is reproduced below for your convenience.

Sue, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS Medical illustrators SAVE LIVES...

Medical illustrator Susan Gilbert says,

"...medical illustration may gross you out, but this difficult craft
educates and saves lives."
http://medartist.com/ (copied to Susan via )

GO SUSAN!

The Institute of Medical Illustrators (UK) says:

"Medical Illustrators work in a field where the highest standards are
essential to protect patients at a time when they may be especially
vulnerable..."
--Institute of Medical Illustrators
http://www.imi.org.uk/lawethics.htm

Babies are indeed "especially vulnerable" at birth!

Copied to Institute of Medical Illustrators via Keith Bellamy

Copied to Association of Medical Illustrators via Janet McAndless

Copied to medical illustrator Peg Gerrity

Canadian grandma Donna Young recently contacted Peg to ask her to illustrate
the fact that standard woman-on-her-back delivery positions - semisitting
and dorsal - close the birth canal up to 30%.

Initially Peg wrote to Donna: "No I am not interested. Good luck with your
project."

Donna persisted...

Peg replied:

"...you must pay the $3000 per image, and I will require an up-front deposit
1/2 or $1500 per image. So, if you want 3 images, you must send me a
retainer fee of $4500. Animation will be an additional fee, probably in the
range of $5000-8000. Please send the money to my address on my website.
I look forward to working with you."

Peg likely figured Donna was "off her rocker"?

It probably didn't help when Donna indicated she learned about the obstetric
biomechanics travesty from a CHIROPRACTOR. (Peg likely rolled her eyes : )
LOL!

The biomechanics are SIMPLE. They've been in the medical literature since
early last century - and I had them republished late last century. See
Gastaldo TD. At-term sacro-iliac biomechanics (letter). Birth
1992;19(4):231.

This doctor of chiropractic thinks it's time for obstetricians to take
biomechanics seriously.

Babies' very lives and limbs are at stake...

Here now is my Open Letter to KASOWITZ BENSON attorneys...

KASOWITZ, BENSON et al. attorneys are CREATIVE attorneys, as in,

"Over 150...highly-talented lawyers...committed to pursuing CREATIVE,
aggressive and winning approaches to our clients' most challenging legal
matters."
http://www.kasowitz.com/about.html

"The breadth of our practice...all areas of civil litigation..."
http://www.kasowitz.com/practice-profile-1.html

TOBACCO COMPANY WIN

Creative attorneys at KASOWITZ, BENSON et al. overturned a $145 billion
punitive damages award against tobacco companies!

"The court specifically cited the award against Liggett as 'proof of a
runaway jury' because there was no evidence against the company that
supported the verdict."
http://www.kasowitz.com/articles-press-63.html

Fortunately (for attorneys and juries) there is irrefutable evidence to
support the verdict that OBs are negligently closing birth canals.

And I do mean OBs are negligently CLOSING birth canals. See breech/shoulder
dystocia comment below.

OPEN LETTER (archived for global access at:

KASOWITZ, BENSON et al. attorneys:

Will you guys creatively help babies - via a birth injury class action?

MDs are *knowingly* closing birth canals up to 30% then KEEPING birth canals
closed when shoulders get stuck.

See PROOF from The Merck Manual below.

MOST cases of birth trauma occur with MDs closing birth canals - i.e. - most
births are conducted with the woman semisitting and dorsal.

These woman-on-her-butt/back delivery positions close the birth canal up to
30%...

WEIRD: Not one jury has heard this fact. (If anyone knows of any, please
contact me.)

GRUESOME: MDs are violently pushing on tiny spines (with oxytocin, Cytotec,
and PGE2) and gruesomely pulling (with hands, forceps, vacuums) - with birth
canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

OBs: If you must push or pull - and sometimes you must - FIRST get the
woman off her sacrum - off her back/butt. OBs should not be placing women
pushing babie out on their backs/butts in the first place!

ALL spinal manipulation is gruesome with the birth canal closed up to 30%.
Some babies are killed - some are paralyzed - but usually babies "only" have
their necks wrenched.

I am hoping KASOWITZ, BENSON attorneys will organize a birth trauma class
action to stop this bizarre obstetric behavior and compensate victims.

But there may be a problem...

DO JURIES REALLY NEED OBs?

Chicago birth injury attorney Anthony Mancini has told me that he needs a
"credible" OB/GYN to bring this matter before a jury...

"Todd...I would be very interested in obtaining more information from you
regarding the closed birth canal theory. In order to present this theory to
jury, I would need a credible OB/Gyn who subscribes to the theory. The
OB/Gyn
would be the expert witness. I welcome any information that you can
provide."
--Anthony Mancini
Law Offices of Anthony Mancini, Ltd.
www.mancinilaw.com

See Attorney looking for 'credible' OB/GYNs...

Birth canal closing by OBs is no mere theory!

I suggested to Anthony that what he actually needs is a BRAVE "credible"
OB/GYN - an OB/GYN not afraid to render his entire profession susceptible to
criminal
prosecution and massive civil damages.

I indicated further that I strongly suspect OB/GYNs MUST close birth
canals - and remain silent about it - because stopping
would be tantamount to admitting a horrible massive crime that sometimes
kills and paralyzes babies.

BTW, I do mean CLOSED. To a breech baby with a trapped after-coming head -
the birth canal is indeed CLOSED.

Same goes for a baby suffering shoulder dystocia.

So why aren't government-sponsored studies pointing out that MDs and MBs and
CNMwive are closing birth canals?

Why aren't ATTORNEYS taking action?

In addition to mentioning this matter to Attorney Anthony Mancini, I've also
emailed other birth injury attorneys, including Pamela Pantages...

See Birth trauma attorney always right?

I'm HOPING they are taking action - but I've received no responses from them
yet - which is why I'm emailing the 150+ CREATIVE attorneys at KASOWITZ,
BENSON et al...

KASOWITZ, BENSON et al. attorneys,

Do birth injury attorneys really need OB/GYNs to bring this matter before
juries?

Here is the simple PROOF from The Merck Manual:

"When shoulder dystocia occurs...the mother's thighs are hyperflexed to
increase the diameter of the pelvic outlet..."
http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanu...er253/253g.jsp

If [a plaintiff] mother was on her back or butt for her delivery (most women
are)...

Juries should be told that OBs and CNMwives are waiting until the head is
out and the shoulders get stuck before giving the baby maximum pelvic outlet
diameter.

Juries should be told that OBs and CNMwives are forcing babies' heads
through birth canals
senselessly closed up to 30% then KEEPING birth canals closed when the
shoulders get stuck (see THE KICKER below)...

(An estimated 4.6% of "healthy" term babies suffer unexplained brain bleeds!
And babies actually suffer DENTS in their skulls - "pingpong" skull
fractures - though most of these dents/"pingpong" fractures pop out.)

THE KICKER (already mentioned)

The Merck Manual method for increasing the diameter of the pelvic
outlet - merely hyperflexing the mother's thighs - is BAD McRoberts
maneuver - and BAD McRoberts maneuver does not roll the woman off her sacrum
and therefore
does NOT increase the diameter of the pelvic outlet!

See ACOG birth crime video evidence
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2300

WMPI/JASON GARDOSI, MD

Here are the simple grisly biomechanics of semisitting (and dorsal)
delivery clearly stated by Jason Gardosi, MD, director of the
British National Health Service/NHS West Midlands Perinatal
Institute/WMPI...

"...the weight of the mother is in part taken on the sacrum which is
therefore pushed upwards, thus decreasing the antero-posterior diameter of
the pelvic outlet..."
http://www.wmpi.net/reviews/oe/oe_shoulder_dystocia.htm

Incredibly, the just quoted WMPI site states the grisly biomechanics of
semisitting but then RECOMMENDS semisitting delivery (closing the birth
canal), as
in,

"The second stage...You might want to remain in bed with your back propped
up with pillows...As you push, try to let yourself 'open up' below..."
http://www.preg.info/book/chapter11.htm

WMPI/Jason Gardosi, MD is advising women to CLOSE their birth canals,
then saying: "As you push, try to let yourself 'open up' below..." (!)

ON A POSITIVE NOTE: The WMPI site does recommend a version of GOOD McRoberts
if
the shoulders get stuck...
http://www.wmpi.net/reviews/oe/oe_shoulder_dystocia.htm

NOTE: At one time, WMPI/Jason Gardosi, MD and his British OB pal Malcolm
Griffiths got
me censored from an international obstetric listserv for protesting this
bizarre
obstetric behavior - but fortunately not before two of my articles got
posted...

See http://forums.obgyn.net/forums/ob-gy...9707/0128.html

See also: http://forums.obgyn.net/ob-gyn-l/OBGYNL.9707/0153.html

OBVIOUS CRIME - PARDONS IN ADVANCE

As I indicated to Attorney Mancini (see above), I strongly suspect MDs can's
stop the massive obstetric crime because stopping it would be
tantamount to admitting it.

Since it *is* obvious crime, I am in favor of pardons in advance for MDs.
MDs are just
academic prime cuts forced through this culture's most powerful mental
meatgrinder - medical school.

Pardons in advance will allow MDs to keep doing their valid medical work,
making money to pay the inevitable civil damages.

THEN AGAIN... MD-influenced prosecutors and pardoners are not likely to
publicly call attention to the crime - not even with pardons in advance...

So CIVIL LITIGATION springs to mind.

Again, I am hoping KASOWITZ, BENSON attorneys will be creative and organize
a birth trauma class action to stop this bizarre obstetric behavior and
compensate victims.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS PUBLIC EDUCATION is the only avenue left if civil and criminal paths are
not pursued.

In this regard...

If KASOWITZ, BENSON attorneys can't or won't organize a class action, I hope
they will at least make sure pregnant family, friends and co-workers are
made aware of the fact that OBs and CNMwives are closing birth canals up to
30% - and how easy it is for pregnant women to allow their birth canals to
OPEN the "extra" up to 30%.

PREGNANT WOMEN: MDs are KNOWINGLY closing birth canals up
to 30% by using dorsal and semisitting delivery.

It is EASY for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%.
Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out - or deliver on
hands-and-knees, kneeling, standing, squatting, etc.

BEWARE though: Some MDs and CNMwives will let you "try" "alternative"
delivery positions but will move you back to dorsal or semisitting (close
your birth canal!) as you push your baby out!

Talk to your MD or CNMwife about this TODAY.

This Open Letter to KASOWITZ, BENSON will be instantly archived for global
access at:

Within 24 hours it will be in the Google usenet group archive. Search
http://groups.google.com for "Pregnant attorneys: Do juries really need
OBs?"

END Gastaldo's Open Letter to KASOWITZ BENSON

Back to medical illustrator Sue Snape at Nucleus Medical Art/Medical Legal
Art...

Sue, at the very least, attorneys should have ACCESS to animations/graphics
which can demonstrate to juries that women should not be on their
backs/butts when they push their babies out...

Well, since people are still reading... : )

Attorneys aren't the only ones ignoring OBs knowingly closing birth
canals...

MOTHERING MAGAZINE is doing the same thing!

Here's my recent Open Letter to an author of a recent/relevant Mothering
article...

MOTHERING MAGAZINE GAFF

Attn PEGGY O'MARA. See below.

NICETTE JUKELEVICS writes:

"The majority of primary (first) cesareans are performed for dystocia
(failure to progress, big baby/small pelvis [cephalopelvic
disproportion])..."
--Nicette Jukelevics, MA, ICCE
http://www.vbac.com/index.html
http://www.vbac.com/dystocia.html

OPEN LETTER
Nicette Jukelevics, MA, ICCE
Center For Family
24050 Madison St. Suite 200
Torrance, CA 90505
(310) 375-3141
www.vbac.com

Nicette,

OBs are CAUSING cephalopelvic disproportion (and failure to progress) then
performing cesarean sections BEcause of cephalopelvic disproportion (and
failure to progress)1

Please tell pregnant women that OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to
30% and how easy it is for them to offer their babies the "extra" up to 30%.

After all, you write at www.vbac.com:

T]his site will...include information about ways that
women can help their labors progress. If you have information about
research studies...please let us know. We may be able to add this
information to our site."
http://www.vbac.com/index.html

I do indeed "have information about research studies"...

OBs are IGNORING research studies - and simple biomechanics - and so
are CNMwives... See below.

I see you are promoting the Maternity Center Association's 2004
cesarean section info booklet...
http://www.vbac.com/hottopic/exposingthemyths.html

To save time, I will reproduce an Open Letter I recently wrote to the
Maternity Center Association...

MATERNITY CENTER ASSOCIATION
Maureen P. Corry, MPH, Executive Director
Carol Sakala, PhD, MSPH, Director of Programs
281 Park Avenue South
5th Floor
New York, NY 10010
212-777-5000
, ,

Maureen and Carol,

Emergency! Please rewrite your booklet, What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to
Know About Cesarean Section [2004].

Tell women that OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30% and KEEPING
birth canals closed up to 30% when shoulders get stuck or when forceps,
vacuums are applied - i.e. - in instrument-assisted vaginal birth.

Maternity Center Association is setting women up to accept this bizarre
obstetric behavior!

For example, on p. 15 of What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to Know About
Cesarean Section [2004]:

"[To avoid assisted vaginal delivery - forceps or vacuum - TG]...Try pushing
in an upright position, or lying on your side. Avoid lying on your back.
Some hospital beds can be adjusted to help you with these positions..."
--What Every Pregnant Woman Needs to Know About Cesarean Section
MATERNITY CENTER ASSOCIATION BOOKLET [2004]
http://www.maternitywise.org/pdfs/cesareanbooklet.pdf

WARNING #1: A commonly recommended "upright" position - SEMISITTING - only
closes the birth canal with more force. The biomechanics are simple. See
Gastaldo TD. Letter. Birth 1992;19(4):231.

WARNING #2: OBs should NOT pull with hands, forceps or vacuum with mother
on her sacrum (on her back or buttocks, dorsal or semisitting)...yet this is
standard.

ON A POSITIVE NOTE...

From p. 10: "[A] caregiver can ask a mother who is lying on her back to move
to another position...can also be used to prevent...problems."
http://www.maternitywise.org/pdfs/cesareanbooklet.pdf

That's the spirit! PREVENTION! Why not tell women outright that standard
medical delivery positions close the birth canal up to 30%?

WARNING #3: Sometimes MDs and CNMwives let women "try" "alternative"
delivery positions - then move them back to semisitting or dorsal (close the
birth canal!) for the actual delivery!

To summarize:

1. Women and their uteri should not be made to push with birth canals
senselessly closed up to 30%.

2. And when there are problems, OBs themselves should not be pushing on tiny
spines (with oxytocin, Cytotec, PGE2) or pulling (with hands, forceps,
vacuums) - with birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

If the Maternity Center Association does not offer women this key
information, they can't use it to help themselves.

I see that the American College of Nurse-Midwives - the CNMwifery trade
union - tops your list of endorsers...
http://www.maternitywise.org/pdfs/cesareanbooklet.pdf (last page)

BE ADVISED: Yale CNMwifery Prof Helen Varney ignored my pleas years ago and
promoted semisitting (closing the birth canal) a various editions of her
book. She also promoted KEEPING the birth canal closed (lithotomy) when
shoulders get stuck!

CNMwifery Prof. Varney is STILL doing this in her 2004 edition, as in,

"The usual positions in a hospital delivery room are lithotomy or dorsal.
Midwives believe that in neither of these positions does the woman have to
be
flat on her back; rather, they encourage a semisitting, or 'back up' and
'legs
down,' modification of these positions." (!)
[Varney H. Varney's Midwifery. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett. 4th ed.
2004:839]

CNMwife Helen's Fig. 28-12 shows a CNMwife "helping" a woman into
semisitting!

That CNMwife is "helping" a woman close her birth canal up to 30%!

Also, on p. 839: "In the event of...shoulder dystocia...the woman should be
in a lithotomy position..."

[CNMWIVES PROMOTE **KEEPING** BIRTH CANAL CLOSED WHEN SHOULDERS GET STUCK!]

Excerpted from: Criminal medical CAM at Hawai'i's John A Burns School of
Medicine
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2256

Maureen and Carol, please forward this email to all of your endorsers.
Please copy me when you do.

Feel free to post this email on your website.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

END Gastaldo's email to Maternity Centers Association...

Nicette,

I say again: OBs are CAUSING cephalopelvic disproportion then performing
cesareans BEcause of cephalopelvic disproportion.

The cites for relevant pelvic outlet area research studies
(radiographic) are in my Open Letter to the United States Federal Trade
Commission/FTC...
http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html

MOTHERING MAGAZINE GAFF

You wrote in your recent [Mar/Apr 2004] Mothering article:

"Almost three-quarters of the women were restricted to bed, and three out of
four were on their backs while pushing their babies out." (citing: ED
Declercq et al.Oct. 2002, www.maternitywise.org/listeningtomothers)

Peggy O'Mara, editor of Mothering, once *published* the biomechanics of how
women can allow their birth canals to open maximally!

See my 1997 letter to Mothering reproduced in an obstetric forum...
http://forums.obgyn.net/forums/ob-gy...9707/0128.html
http://forums.obgyn.net/ob-gyn-l/OBGYNL.9707/0153.html

THE GAFF...

Your Mothering article was titled, "Facts you need to know to say 'No!' to a
cesarean."...

Yet Mothering editor Peggy O'Mara just forgot to tell you that OBs are
knowingly closing birth canals up to 30% - and how easy it is for women to
allow their birth canals to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%...

Also noteworthy: Peggy hasn't yet published a correction to my 1997 letter
which I've asked her to publish...

The correction pertains to the fact that OBs are KEEPING birth canals closed
when shoulders get stuck!

See Dear Mothering, Dear ICAN, Dear God...

I never got a response from Peggy.

It's been a few years; so I'll copy this email too to her via
(also via: ;
; )

Peggy, if you published the correction, my apologies - I just never saw it.
Also, I see where Nicette indicates in a sidebar that "pushing the baby out
in a lithotomy position" is a way of "Increasing the Odds" of cesarean.

This is great!

But why not tell Mothering readers explicitly that dorsal lithotomy (and
semisitting) CLOSE THE BIRTH CANAL UP TO 30% - especially since (again
quoting Nicette's article):

"Almost three-quarters of the women were restricted to bed, and three out of
four were on their backs while pushing their babies out." (citing: ED
Declercq et al.Oct. 2002,
www.maternitywise.org/listeningtomothers)

Thanks Peggy...

PROOF that OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30%...

According to the Merck Manual:

"When shoulder dystocia occurs...the mother's thighs are hyperflexed to
increase the diameter of the pelvic outlet..."
http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanu...er253/253g.jsp

WHY are OBs and CNMwives (nurse midwives) waiting until the
head is
out and shoulders get stuck before giving the baby maximum pelvic outlet
diameter?

WHY are we letting OBs and CNMwives force babies' heads through birth canals
senselessly closed up to 30%?

For PROOF that OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30%, scroll up a
little...

PREGNANT WOMEN: It is EASY for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the
"extra" up
to 30%.
Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out - or deliver on
hands-and-knees, kneeling, standing, squatting, etc.

BEWARE though: Some MDs and MBs will let you "try" "alternative"
delivery positions but will move you back to dorsal or semisitting (close
your birth canal!) as you push your baby out!

Talk to your MD or MB about this TODAY. (For further details see the
"Criminal medical CAM" URL above.)

MDs/MBs: If you must push or pull - and sometimes you must - first get the
woman off her sacrum - off her back/butt.

END Gastaldo's Open Letter to an author of a Mothering magazine

article...

Back to medical illustrator Sue Snape at Nucleus Medical Art/Medical Legal
Art...

Sue,

Sorry to burden you with so much text.

You seemed to understand the simple at-term sacroiliac biomechanics
perfectly on the phone...

As you can see, I'm quite frustrated that OBs are still being allowed to
close birth canals.

I think once attorneys have the graphics/animations, they won't be so
bashful about telling juries what is happening - and the grisly obstetric
travesty can finally end.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

For PROOF that OBs are knowingly closing birth canals up to 30%, scroll up a
little...

PREGNANT WOMEN: It is EASY for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the
"extra" up
to 30%.
Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out - or deliver on
hands-and-knees, kneeling, standing, squatting, etc.

BEWARE though: Some MDs and MBs will let you "try" "alternative"
delivery positions but will move you back to dorsal or semisitting (close
your birth canal!) as you push your baby out!

Talk to your MD or MB about this TODAY. (For further details see the
"Criminal medical CAM" URL above.)

MDs/MBs: If you must push or pull - and sometimes you must - first get the
woman off her sacrum - off her back/butt.

AND LADIES: Your babies will innately SQUAT to play when they get older.
Please do not let them lose this all-terrain fundamental human rest posture!

See Sarah Key's huge balls (also: Kids can SQUAT
motionless for
hours)...

And see 'Science' vs Squatting? (Zhang et al. 2004)

PREGNANT WOMEN: It is EASY for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the
"extra" up
to 30%.
Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out - or deliver on
hands-and-knees, kneeling, standing, squatting, etc.

But see the warning above...