"dead beat" parent round-up

Old April 3rd 04, 10:26 PM
Werebat

Default "dead beat" parent round-up

AZ Astrea wrote:

"Gini52" wrote in message
..
In article , AZ Astrea says...

Just heard on the news they pulled another "round-up of dead beat

parents"
here in Tucson. They named it "Operation Child-support". Channel 4

news
reported all the standard "politically correct" bull**** and used the

term
"dead beat parents". I guess that's more 'correct' than dead beat dads

but
no matter what, the reality is that out of the 21 people still sitting in
jail as of this evening, (the "round-up" was at 5am), there is *one*

woman.
The token woman.

I'm writing an e-mail to Channel 4 (www.kvoa.com) , hoping to enlighten

them
a little as to the reality of dead-broke dads. I can't find the story on
their website yet. They just aired it so maybe it's not on it yet.

With all the talented writers and ranters we have here I'm hoping we can

all
send them a bit of enlightening e-mail. Who knows? Maybe somebody will

be
listening?

==============
Ya know, I've been wanting to do this for years and never seem to find the
time/motivation (I confess). You are right--We do need a bevy of

well-written
editable(?)letters posted here that could be sent to various media

/government
outlets. Umm...Kenneth? :-)

----------------------------
I agree. I have started and stopped over and over a 'standardized' letter
that could be used for that purpose but I am not as good a writer as many
here. I receive the ACLU action alerts that are letters about various
subjects that I can add comments to and then I send it to my Congressmen via
fax or e-mail. These letters are well written, they don't sound like
ranting and raving yet they get the point across very well. If you want to
see some examples go to the ACLU website at www.aclu.org and check them out.
Can anybody here write a right-to-the-point type letter without using the
terms propaganda or nazis? I couldn't.

What you want is a little of your own propaganda, that doesn't look like
such.

Feed me the facts you want presented and I could write you anything.

I'll post a copy of the e-mail I sent.

Cool.

- Ron ^*^

Old April 3rd 04, 10:42 PM
Werebat

OK, just a few of my early comments he

AZ Astrea wrote:

Sorry to reply to my own post but below is a copy of what I sent to the tv
station. Warning it's long.

Ideal length depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Is this
intended as a blurb to be printed in the "letters to the editor" section
of a paper? If so, then it is too long. If you are thinking of trying
to get this published in a local paper, then it might not be.

-----------------------------------
Operation child-support
Letter to KVOA.com for their coverage of this
April 1, 2004

It's frustrating and makes me angry every time I hear another news story
about a round-up of 'dead beat' parents.

I feel frustrated and angry every time I hear another news story about a
round-up of 'dead beat' parents.

You know, it's be easiest for me to just copy and edit this... Maybe
I'll do just that.

- Ron ^*^

Old April 4th 04, 12:27 AM
AZ Astrea

AZ Astrea wrote:

[...]

------------------------------
Yeah well that's why I was hoping some of our more *gifted* writers could
write something to them. No it wasn't a "letter to the editor" it was just
a rant about them covering only one side of the situation. I was hoping to
get them to do a story that focuses on the reality of deadbroke dads. We
have had many of these 'round-ups' here and there is never a counter-point
to the deadbeat dad story that accompanies them.

I would like to see whenever the news covers these 'round-ups' of 'deadbeat'
parents that they also present the other side as well.

~AZ~

- Ron ^*^

Old April 4th 04, 12:38 AM
NoWhere

"AZ Astrea" wrote in message ...
[...]

Channel 13 showed a video clip of one deadbeat parent being taken away
in handcuffs. SHE -- a deadbeat MOM -- had a very sour look on her
face.

And then there was the case of a dad who refused to pay child support
because he was not allowed to see his child. He saved the monthly
payments under a “Get Out of Jail” card from a Monopoly
game under the walkway in his front yard.