made it to 2 months, but tired...

Old July 23rd 03, 03:34 AM
KC

Default made it to 2 months, but tired...

Well, we made it to the 2 month visit and Jessica is 11 lb 4 oz, and
23.5 inches long. Her percentiles are exactly the same as at birth,
so she has now caught up after our slow start with her only getting
back to her birthweight by 3.5 weeks.

She still eats all the time. I was kind of hoping she would have
gained a ton, so her being at the breast all the time would be from
her being a pig rather than her needing to to keep up proper weight.

To be fair, I think she is going longer stretches asleep, but when
awake she is almost always at the breast to cluster feed. So, it's
not really like the growth spurt where her naps were super short, but
it is very rare for her to ever turn down a breast whether she is
asleep or awake. I do feed her in her sleep at night if I wake up on
the theory that she might need less the next day because of it.

I am still not good at NIP, and I feel terrible for my older dd that I
don't have much time for her with a baby at my breast all the time, so
I am feeling kind of bummed about bf, but still not wanting to quit.
Can't quit after all this work. It is supposed to get easier someday.
Hopefully soon.

I am thinking I really want my dd to use a binky some of the time. I
am going to try to find one she likes. We have tried 3 and she didn't
like any of them. Perhaps that will get me some time. I didn't want
one at first with my low supply issues, but I need a break. She still
has a bit of thrush, but we could soak binkies in vinegar.

So, that's my ramblings. I am proud to have made it to 2 months, but
the time ahead is seeming pretty long right not.

KC
Old July 23rd 03, 08:39 AM
KC

That is a good point Phoebe. I have offered alot because of low
supply worries, so maybe now I will try to not offer as much and see
if distraction works. That would prove if it was hunger or just
wanting to suck for comfort because I doubt a hungry baby would allow
herself to be distracted for long.

KC

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in message ...
KC wrote:

it is very rare for her to ever turn down a breast whether she is
asleep or awake.

Does she object to one not being offered? I went out to a
meeting tonight, and left a bottle. Allyson wasn't sure
when I'd be back, and didn't want to run out of milk, so
when Caterpillar woke up for her every-two-hours feeding,
Allyson distracted her. She went back to sleep for more
than another hour, and I was home by the time she woke up.

It never would have occurred to me to try, and I'm not sure
she'd have put up with it from someone she knows has milk.
I assumed she wanted to eat so often during the day because
she sleeps so well at night, but it may be that she'd be as
happy with a bigger meal less often.

Phoebe

Old July 23rd 03, 01:10 PM
Mary W.

KC wrote:

Well, we made it to the 2 month visit and Jessica is 11 lb 4 oz, and
23.5 inches long. Her percentiles are exactly the same as at birth,
so she has now caught up after our slow start with her only getting
back to her birthweight by 3.5 weeks.

Yay! Great job!

I am still not good at NIP, and I feel terrible for my older dd that I
don't have much time for her with a baby at my breast all the time, so
I am feeling kind of bummed about bf, but still not wanting to quit.
Can't quit after all this work. It is supposed to get easier someday.
Hopefully soon.

It will. I think things didn't get 'easy' for us until closer to 12 or 14
weeks. We had a rough start. Never did get great at NIP, but were
able to work around it.

I am thinking I really want my dd to use a binky some of the time. I
am going to try to find one she likes. We have tried 3 and she didn't
like any of them. Perhaps that will get me some time. I didn't want
one at first with my low supply issues, but I need a break. She still
has a bit of thrush, but we could soak binkies in vinegar.

If you aren't having problems with bfing anymore, then I think introducing

a binky is fine. We held off until about 8 or 10 weeks with DD, since
she had nipple confusion in the beginning. And it took awhile for her to
accept the pacifier (she wanted to suck but got mad at the breast when
milk came out, never did comfort suck well). We kept offering the
pacifier,
she'd suck a couple of times then spit it out. We'd pop it back in, try
again.
Eventually she figured it out, and it saved our sanity.

Good luck,

Mary

Old July 23rd 03, 03:20 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

KC wrote:

I am still not good at NIP, and I feel terrible for my older dd that I
don't have much time for her with a baby at my breast all the time, so
I am feeling kind of bummed about bf, but still not wanting to quit.
Can't quit after all this work. It is supposed to get easier someday.
Hopefully soon.

Do you go to a pool? I found that it's not so bad NIP at the
neighborhood pool - I don't go into the water because of DS (and I still
had lochia discharge until last week), but DD loves the pool. Anyway
back to NIP, I wear a t-shirt and shorts and find that even if I am NIP,
I'm showing a *lot* less skin than anyone else at the pool.

I am thinking I really want my dd to use a binky some of the time. I
am going to try to find one she likes. We have tried 3 and she didn't
like any of them. Perhaps that will get me some time.

We also started trying to get DS to use a binky. He's rejected two of
them so far. DD never liked them and never used them, so we're not too
hopeful about getting DS to use them. Is there some trick to it?

I didn't want
one at first with my low supply issues, but I need a break.

Same here.

Jeanne

Old July 23rd 03, 06:42 PM
Larry McMahan

KC writes:

: Well, we made it to the 2 month visit and Jessica is 11 lb 4 oz, and
: 23.5 inches long. Her percentiles are exactly the same as at birth,
: so she has now caught up after our slow start with her only getting
: back to her birthweight by 3.5 weeks.

This is a good weight gain, and 2 months is such a milestone, You
should be proud!

: She still eats all the time. I was kind of hoping she would have
: gained a ton, so her being at the breast all the time would be from
: her being a pig rather than her needing to to keep up proper weight.

This is not unusual for a newborn. It will become much easier over
the next two months. That is the good news. The bad news is that
when she starts sitting and crawling, she will eat less during the
day and will cluster feed all night! :-)

: I am still not good at NIP, and I feel terrible for my older dd that I
: don't have much time for her with a baby at my breast all the time, so
: I am feeling kind of bummed about bf, but still not wanting to quit.
: Can't quit after all this work. It is supposed to get easier someday.
: Hopefully soon.

Reading to your older daughter is a wonderful think that you can do
while nursing.

: I am thinking I really want my dd to use a binky some of the time. I
: am going to try to find one she likes. We have tried 3 and she didn't
: like any of them. Perhaps that will get me some time. I didn't want
: one at first with my low supply issues, but I need a break. She still
: has a bit of thrush, but we could soak binkies in vinegar.

I am not a fan of pacifiers, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

: So, that's my ramblings. I am proud to have made it to 2 months, but
: the time ahead is seeming pretty long right not.

Hang is there to give us the 4 months post. I'm sure that one will be
a lot more positive.

: KC

Larry
Old July 24th 03, 03:40 PM
Melissa

"Bruce and Jeanne" wrote
We also started trying to get DS to use a binky. He's rejected two of
them so far. DD never liked them and never used them, so we're not too
hopeful about getting DS to use them. Is there some trick to it?

Some babies (like dd and, anecdotally, me as a baby) just won't take one. We
tried many of the brands/shapes/sizes out there and dd would simply spit
them (for distance, yet) out of her mouth or cry. She finally found her
fist/thumb and happily sucks on that or a burp cloth when she needs to suck.
Good luck.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03