Survey: best name for a newborn baby boy?

Old June 7th 07, 04:06 AM posted to misc.kids
JohnZhang

Default Survey: best name for a newborn baby boy?

What do you think among these 3 choices? thanks for any input!

http://www.thepollspace.com/polls.ph...=75&category=0

Old June 7th 07, 05:47 AM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_2_]

"JohnZhang" wrote in message
ups.com...
What do you think among these 3 choices? thanks for any input!

http://www.thepollspace.com/polls.ph...=75&category=0

Nick, Steve, Bob? They're all nicknames of proper names.

Old June 7th 07, 12:01 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

JohnZhang wrote in
ups.com:

What do you think among these 3 choices? thanks for any
input!

http://www.thepollspace.com/polls.ph...=75&category=0

did you mean to use Nicolas, Steven (Stephen) or Robert? i
certainly hope so, because actually naming the poor child with
a diminuative is unkind. it's hard enough to get along in the
adult world without being saddled with a 'baby nickname' as
your given name.
in any case, none of those names would be a blip on my boy
name radar. i especially dislike Steven, having grown up with
a sociopathic neighbor with that name.
lee

Old June 7th 07, 01:03 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

enigma wrote:
JohnZhang wrote in
ups.com:

What do you think among these 3 choices? thanks for any
input!

http://www.thepollspace.com/polls.ph...=75&category=0

did you mean to use Nicolas, Steven (Stephen) or Robert? i
certainly hope so, because actually naming the poor child with
a diminuative is unkind. it's hard enough to get along in the
adult world without being saddled with a 'baby nickname' as
your given name.
in any case, none of those names would be a blip on my boy
name radar. i especially dislike Steven, having grown up with
a sociopathic neighbor with that name.
lee

It is also unkind to spam. That is what the OP is doing. He doesn't care
about popular names. He cares about getting money.

Jeff
Old June 7th 07, 02:27 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Jeff wrote in

It is also unkind to spam. That is what the OP is doing. He
doesn't care about popular names. He cares about getting
money.

unless he's the owner of pollspace, which i sincerely doubt,
he's not getting any money for people looking at or clicking
on his poll. therefore, it is not spamming.
i don't like spam any more than you do (& probably less,
since i was a sys admin at an ISP), but you really need to get
a grip sometimes Jeff why don't you get a real newsreader,
with real filters, & save yourself some aggrivation?
lee

Old June 7th 07, 03:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , enigma says...

Jeff wrote in

It is also unkind to spam. That is what the OP is doing. He
doesn't care about popular names. He cares about getting
money.

unless he's the owner of pollspace, which i sincerely doubt,
he's not getting any money for people looking at or clicking
on his poll. therefore, it is not spamming.
i don't like spam any more than you do (& probably less,
since i was a sys admin at an ISP), but you really need to get
a grip sometimes Jeff why don't you get a real newsreader,
with real filters, & save yourself some aggrivation?
lee

You know what?

I think filters and killfiles are all well and good and use them some.

But that doesn't mean that these kinds of things aren't part of a creeping crud
that has been crapping up Usenet in general, and contributing to its overall
decline.

I mean, why *should* we all have to chase these ever-shifting nyms and topics in
killfiles??!? It's a drag. As in a waste. Of time and energy and attention
and bandwidth. It's a putoff for a lot of users. I'm glad for Jeff's
netcopping. Even if this wasn't exactly spam or commercial stuff.

Banty

Old June 7th 07, 05:09 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

Banty wrote:

You know what?

I think filters and killfiles are all well and good and use them some.

But that doesn't mean that these kinds of things aren't part of a creeping crud
that has been crapping up Usenet in general, and contributing to its overall
decline.

To be quite honest I think there's a lot less spaming now than when I
was reading in 2000. (hey, there's hardly any c*r* spam in m.k.p!)
I think the overall decline has a lot to do with "uneducated" internet
users. I think back in 2000 most users had some sort of
university/college background, at least I'm sure that was the case in
germany. And I think it's still laregly the case. I have a friend who's
been online almost as long as I have (1996/97) and she doesn't even know
about usenet, she uses Forums all the way.

Forums are a lot more acessible than usenet, they're easy usually to
navigate, there's moderators/administrators you can turn to in case
something turns nasty, or they'll step in themselves as it happens.
Usenet is different, we do our own "moderating", sometimes a thread gets
out of hand, but so what? I know how to kill a thread in my newsreader,
I don't have to read spam if I don't want to. And personally I think the
information I get here is usually better than what I would get in a Forum.

just my 2 (euro)cents ;-)

nicole
Old June 7th 07, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

enigma wrote:
Jeff wrote in

It is also unkind to spam. That is what the OP is doing. He
doesn't care about popular names. He cares about getting
money.

unless he's the owner of pollspace, which i sincerely doubt,
he's not getting any money for people looking at or clicking
on his poll. therefore, it is not spamming.

The site has advertising from Google. So he may be getting royalties
from that or a cut that the site gets. Plus, he is essentially
advertising for the site.

I have seen his spam on other newsgroups.

i don't like spam any more than you do (& probably less,
since i was a sys admin at an ISP), but you really need to get
a grip sometimes Jeff why don't you get a real newsreader,
with real filters, & save yourself some aggrivation?
lee

I worked for an ISP, too (I was a release engineer). The spam cut into
the company's profits, because they need a few engineers to deal with
the problem, more servers to handle the load, etc. That indirectly
lowered the value of my options because the company had lower profits to
report.

As already pointed out, newsreaders only filter out things after you've
seen similar things.

But the way, I am not very aggravated at the spammers. They're mostly
trying to make a living. But not at my expense.

Jeff
Old June 7th 07, 02:45 PM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:01:57 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

JohnZhang wrote in
ups.com:

What do you think among these 3 choices? thanks for any
input!

http://www.thepollspace.com/polls.ph...=75&category=0

did you mean to use Nicolas, Steven (Stephen) or Robert? i
certainly hope so, because actually naming the poor child with
a diminuative is unkind. it's hard enough to get along in the
adult world without being saddled with a 'baby nickname' as
your given name.

Maybe the guy doesn't know English and those names sound fine in his
language?
Old June 7th 07, 03:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , toypup says...

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:01:57 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

JohnZhang wrote in
ups.com:

What do you think among these 3 choices? thanks for any
input!

http://www.thepollspace.com/polls.ph...=75&category=0

did you mean to use Nicolas, Steven (Stephen) or Robert? i
certainly hope so, because actually naming the poor child with
a diminuative is unkind. it's hard enough to get along in the
adult world without being saddled with a 'baby nickname' as
your given name.

Maybe the guy doesn't know English and those names sound fine in his
language?

And if we proposed Sasha or Dima for a boy child, and a Russian speaker object
that those are diminuitives for real names, would you accept as a defense "oh
well, we don't know Russian and those names sound fine in our language"?

It's a perfectly valid objection.

Banty