(SA) Team hunting 'dog-rape' teen

Old August 28th 03, 05:35 PM

Default (SA) Team hunting 'dog-rape' teen

http://tinyurl.com/lh68

Team hunting 'dog-rape' teen
28/08/2003 15:33 - (SA)

Johannesburg - The Gauteng social services department is to set up an
independent task team to investigate why a child reportedly forced to have
sex with a dog by her employers has gone missing.

On Thursday, MEC Angelina Motshekga told reporters in Johannesburg: "The
child was in our custody so we are the ones who lost her.

"For this reason, we are appointing a team to investigate. The main thing
is to see how we went wrong."

The team, which has 14 working days to report on its findings, will include
two representatives from independent organisations outside the government.

Media reports claiming police found out about her disappearance only 24
days later were incorrect, said Motshekga. The matter was reported to the
police on the day she absconded.

The section of the department dealing with children was also aware of the
matter.

Motshekga found out about the girl's disappearance last week when she asked
about the progress of court preparations.

The case made headlines earlier this year when a 24-year-old Taiwanese man
and his 26-year-old sister were charged with forcing the 15-year-old child
to have sex with a dog as a punishment.

Hasn't been kidnapped

She was put in the care of the social services department after a court
hearing.

The girl, who is due to testify next Wednesday, September 3, ran away from
a government place of safety on August 2.

"We know she is alive and has not been kidnapped," said Motshekga.

The girl was last seen in Berea, Johannesburg, and the department has been
able to track some of her movements.

"We have to go to court with her on Wednesday, which is her biggest fear,"
Motshekga said.

"The child couldn't take the pressure around the case. The last time we
went to visit her with the media she broke down afterwards and took a long
time to recover.

"She was feeling too crowded. She didn't want people to talk about it (the
case).

"From the report I have received, it was quite clear she was not coping...
with the publicity and the pressure of the court case."

The girl had both an external and an institutional social worker, who
worked as a team to counsel her and she had been receiving "intensive
counselling", said Motshekga.

According to their reports, the child was suicidal. She had "been on a
rollercoaster and looked depressed at times".

Before she disappeared, she was at a point where it was thought she had
stabilised.

"She had asked to help clean in the kitchen and to do errands. Actually,
that is how she managed to run away," said Motshekga.

Want to keep case on track

Vusi Madonsela, director-general of the national department of social
development said: "If the girl isn't found by Wednesday, the State will ask
for a postponement of the case.

"There is no indication (the child) is not interested in the case. She does
not feel that anyone has the right to do what she says was done to her.

"We want to ensure it (the case) remains on track. The worst-case scenario
would be that the charges were dropped. But the case could be reinstated as
soon as she's found," he said.

Margot Davids, director of social work services, said intermediary
applications had been done which might allow a social worker to present the
child's testimony to the court.

However, it was not clear whether this would be accepted by the court or
not.

Motshekga said there were plans to pressure the police, bring the child
protection unit on board and possibly hire private investigators to find
the teenager.

The teenager had absconded twice before. The first time she was gone for
only a weekend, before turning herself in. This was after the media has
visited her.

Had little contact with family

"We put lots of counselling and support in place," said Motshekga.

After absconding for a second time, for two days in July, she was placed in
foster care, but she "asked to come back".

"The child experienced her placement as extremely frustrating and limiting
her movements," said Motshekga.

"We thought it would be easy to find her. It was, the other two times. But,
it's not as easy. That's why we're getting worried," Motshekga said.

The teenager had poor support systems and was apparently an orphan.

"She's had very little contact from her family and she needs them. She
wants her sister and close people around her.

"One sister moves around a lot with her employer and it's not easy to track
her down," said Motshekga.

She said the department was also considering clearing the court when the
girl appeared. At her previous court appearance, the public support was
"overwhelming".

The head of the institution where the child was placed had been redeployed
to head office pending the outcome of the departmental investigation,
Motshekga said.