'Midwives...encourage...semisitting' (Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney)

Old April 29th 04, 04:33 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Default 'Midwives...encourage...semisitting' (Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney)

"Midwives...encourage...semisitting." (!)
--Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney. Varney's Midwifery. Sudbury, MA: Jones
and Bartlett. 4th ed. 2004:839

PREGNANT WOMEN: Semisitting closes the birth canal up to 30%. See the very
end of this post to see how EASY it is to allow your birth canal to OPEN the
"extra" up to 30%...

Univ. of New Mexico CNMwives: Did you ever protest CNMwifery Prof. Varney's
bizarre promotion of closing birth canals in the name of midwives? If not,
why not?

A POSITIVE EXCHANGE...

After I erroneously suggested that Naomi Rivkis delivered semisitting...

See the postscript and see: Naomi, I apologize...

Leanne wrote:

"It's quite strange to see people [responding] to Mr. Todd Gastaldo... He
doesn't
seem real to me... more like a machine ...I dont see his posts anymore
though, so I always forget about him... hehehe"
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Jill responded:

"Me either, lol. But FWIW-- I am glad my midwife agrees and I won't be
laboring on my back. I got the message but just don't want to hear it again.
lol."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Leanne responded:

"lol same, once i got the message i didnt need to hear it again... but i
guess he is make a good point."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

Jill and Leanne were making reference to my persistent public protests that
OBs and CNMwives routinely close the birth canal up to 30%...

As indicated above, not all midwives agree that women should not birth
semisitting...

PROOF that OBs and CNMwives are routinely closing birth canals up to 30%...

According to the Merck Manual:

"When shoulder dystocia occurs...the mother's thighs are hyperflexed to
increase the diameter of the pelvic outlet..."
http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanu...er253/253g.jsp

WHY are OBs and CNMwives (nurse midwives) waiting until the
head is
out and shoulders get stuck before giving the baby maximum pelvic outlet
diameter?

WHY are we letting OBs and CNMwives force babies' heads through birth canals
senselessly closed up to 30%?

OBs and CNMwives are SLICING vaginas (euphemism "routine episiotomy") -
surgically/FRAUDULENTLY inferring everything possible is being done to OPEN
birth canals - even as they CLOSE birth canals - up to 30%!

See Criminal medical CAM at Hawai'i's John A Burns School of
Medicine
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2256

PREGNANT WOMEN: It is EASY for you to allow your birth canal to OPEN the
"extra" up
to 30%.
Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out - or deliver on
hands-and-knees, kneeling, standing, squatting, etc.

BUT BEWA "Midwives...encourage...semisitting." (!)
--Yale CNMwifery Prof. Helen Varney. Varney's Midwifery. Sudbury, MA: Jones
and Bartlett. 4th ed. 2004:839]

Some MDs and MBs will let you "try" "alternative"
delivery positions but will move you back to dorsal or semisitting (close
your birth canal!) as you push your baby out!

Talk to your MD or MB about this TODAY. (For further details see the
"Criminal medical CAM" URL above.)

MDs/MBs: If you must push or pull - and sometimes you must - first get the
woman off her sacrum - off her back/butt.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS I am still having difficulty envisioning Naomi's squat - it seemed to me
dangerous to the baby - but I am glad that at least one hospital
is applying vacuum extractors with the mother off her sacrum.

Are there any other women who had vacuum extractor applied in a squatting
position? I am pleased to hear of this...

OBs and CNMwives: Just as it makes no sense to let women PUSH their babies
out with the birth canal closed up to 30% - it makes no sense for you to try
to PULL - with hands, vacuums or forceps - with the birth canal closed up to
30%...

See again: Naomi, I apologize...

Copied to the Univ. of New Mexico CNMwives who received "UNM CNMwife: 'If a
woman panics at any time...'"
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2320