Ashley's Birth Story (a bit late) LONG

Old May 13th 04, 06:09 PM
kandie s

Default Ashley's Birth Story (a bit late) LONG

Hi all,
I know this is really late, I have been so busy with a new baby and the
kids I babysit.

Anyways, I went to the Doctor for my amnio on March 30th to check for
maturity of lungs because she was gonna be 3 weeks early. The amnio was
a little painful because he had to stick me twice, Ashley was positioned
funny and he couldn't find a good pocket to get the fluid. When I left
the office, he told me to call the office at 4 if I hadnt heard anything
by then.
I called and they told me her lungs were ready and to be at the hospital
the next day at noon for a 2pm c-section....

I arrived at the hospital at 11:45am on March 31st and they took me to
the recovery room and started prepping me for surgery, they asked me
1,001 questions about my health, my previous pregnancies, etc.... then
they tried to get an IV in my arm ... 6 TIMES with no luck.. they kept
hitting a valve and the vain would colapse, so they ended up going in
the bend of my arm, but they really didnt want it there because i was
gonna nurse and everytime i bent my arm the machine would beep... well,
that was done and they started saline drip and checked my sugar since
I'm diabetic, it was good, only 78, so all I had to do was wait for the
Doctor to get there...

While waiting for the Doctor, the nurses and I got to know each other
and we joked about my Doctor a little.. Turns out he is a Michigan state
fan, and we are Ohio state fans, so we had to come up with a way to pick
on him.. so we wrote "GO BUCKS" on my cap, and 'OSU' on my hubby's
hat... LOL.. Doctor S laughed about it...

They walked me over to OR at 2 and was told the Dr. was running late and
not to start the spinal until he called and said he was on his way. He
called at 2:15 and everything went very quick from there, the spinal was
in , I was on my back and covered, and he was cutting before I knew what
happened.. At 2:51PM Ashley let out an earpiercing SCREAM and we knew
she was here.... they dropped the drape so i could get a look at her,
she was soooo beautiful and 'ANGRY'... she screamed the whole time they
cleaned her and checked her until she was wrapped and handed to daddy,
she was so alert and content to be held by daddy, it melted my heart...
Oh and her apgars were 9 and 9.. She weighed 7lbs 6oz and was 20in
long... (small compared to DS, he was 10lbs, 3oz 21in)

After I was sewn up and moved to the recovery room, they brought her
into me and told me her sugars were low and they wanted me to give her a
formula bottle right away, i was hesitant because i wanted to nurse, but
they told me because of the diabetes, she wouldnt get enough to bring
her sugar back up, so i gave in... she sucked down an ounce and a half
in 2 minutes, this girl knew how to eat!!!!

I was moved to my room a little later and started to nurse her then, she
latched right on and had no problems until my milk came in, then she got
sick from my milk and couldn't hold it down, so needless to say we are
on formula,sigh but she is doing good on it, so i dont worry, at least
i tried...
The nurses came in at 4am to make me get up and walk for the first
time.. not fun... I did ok getting up and walking to the bathroom, but
coming back, after getting cleaned up, I almost fainted and they had to
get the smelling salts out.. after that I was ok until Friday when I
still hadn't had a bowel movement.. I was miserable and they finally had
to intervene..

I was released on Saturday and given strict orders not to do anything
for at least 2 weeks except take care of baby ( i busted 2 stitches with
DS because i overdid it on my 1st day home)

Well now it's been 6 weeks since her birth and we are still doing a
little adjusting, she is going thru the same thing that Carol Ann's baby
is , she wants to be held all the time, and constantly wants to eat
right now too, she is up to 6-8oz at a feeding, and getting up 1-3 times
a night... Mommy is tired and sleep deprived and my house could use a
good scrub down, but we are getting adjusted slowly...

Ashley weighed 8lbs 15oz at her one month checkup and is doing great!!
She goes back on June 2nd for her next appt and shots...
Well if you got this far, thanks for reading, i know its long and
overdue, but i finally got it done...

Hugs,
Kandie
Proud momma to Cary Lee 12-28-95
and Ashley Lynn 3-31-04

http://community.webtv.net/kls4972/AshleysPage

Old May 14th 04, 04:59 PM
Fer

kandie s wrote:
|| Ashley weighed 8lbs 15oz at her one month checkup and is doing
|| great!! She goes back on June 2nd for her next appt and shots...
|| Well if you got this far, thanks for reading, i know its long and
|| overdue, but i finally got it done...
|| Hugs,
|| Kandie
|| Proud momma to Cary Lee 12-28-95
|| and Ashley Lynn 3-31-04
|| http://community.webtv.net/kls4972/AshleysPage

Congrats and thanks for sharing It sounds like she is doing great! --?

Jenn
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-34 weeks!

Old May 16th 04, 05:53 PM
Kat

Congrats!! Totally understand the sleep deprived thing. Hopefully it will
get better quick!!
Kat
mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04