Update - child-led potty training

Old November 22nd 03, 09:23 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Update - child-led potty training

Well....

Kivi went pee and poop on the potty. Ever since last weekend, when she
asked for the potty, the only encouragement I gave was "hey, Kivi, I'm
going to the bathroom, do you want to go with me?" She would sit on
the potty, usually fully clothed, but at bathtime, with a bare bottom.
Once she even "wiped" and tossed the TP into the potty. She thought
that was pretty funny. Sometimes she chose to go, sometimes she kept
playing. Mostly it seemed like she thought it was funny. Sometimes
she would follow me of her own accord and sit on the potty.

She LOVES the fact that it's also a stepstool - it allows her to reach
all sorts of things at the sink.

This morning there was a bit of poop in her diaper, so I dropped the
poop into the seat where she could see it, and said "see, poop goes in
the potty."

This afternoon, I happened to notice her straining, so I said "Kivi,
do you want to go poop on the potty?" She nodded, so I picked her up
and took her to the bathroom. She said "no, no.." as I took off her
diaper, but I asked "do you want to go ahead and sit on the potty?"
She nodded, and sat. Then she kept sitting. Normally, in her play,
she never sat more than 15 seconds. But she kept sitting. I said
"when you poop, you grunt like this." And she grinned and grunted a
couple of times. So I said "do you want Mommy to sit on the potty
too?" She nodded, so I sat and peed and said "Mommy is going pee on
the potty". And she KEPT sitting. I had no idea if she was actually
doing anything, or just getting a kick out of me fetching things for
her (I brought her banannas, because she had JUST told me she was
hungry prior to starting this). So she ate a couple of banannas. Then
I asked her, "do you want me to get you a book and we could read?"
She shook her head no. Then Garrett came in and said "what is she
doing?" I said "sitting on the potty." Eventually I looked, and there
was poop there!! And then as I was wiping her, I noticed there was
also pee in the potty, too. She got a kick out of dumping it into the
toilet.

Wow.

I tend to go overboard, so I need to be careful not to push due to my
own excitement.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old November 22nd 03, 09:40 PM
Dawn Lawson

Cathy Weeks wrote:

Well....

Kivi went pee and poop on the potty.*snip*

This morning there was a bit of poop in her diaper, so I dropped the
poop into the seat where she could see it, and said "see, poop goes in
the potty."

This afternoon, I happened to notice her straining, so I said "Kivi,
do you want to go poop on the potty?"

*snip*
I said
"when you poop, you grunt like this." And she grinned and grunted a
couple of times. So I said "do you want Mommy to sit on the potty
too?" She nodded, so I sat and peed and said "Mommy is going pee on
the potty".

*snip*
Then Garrett came in and said "what is she
doing?" I said "sitting on the potty." Eventually I looked, and there
was poop there!! And then as I was wiping her, I noticed there was
also pee in the potty, too. She got a kick out of dumping it into the
toilet.

Well DONE!!!
I left in the parts that to me show that you made a CLEAR connection for
her between what she was feeling and what she should DO, (including
grunting!!LOL! Told that to DS too!)

As for pushing her...jsut remember that she can only produce when her
body's ready to, so keep noting her cues, which obviously you already
recognise. And keep making the connecton for her of what she feels and
what to do about it. And I'd suggest keeping her in diapers for a
little longer, so she doesn't worry about another change.

AS for "mistakes", I handle them like you did...show where it should
have gone, but no big deal. And I say "poop goes in the potty", too. I
say that as he's sitting there "producing" as well.

(The other thing I started after reading so many times about kids
freaking about flushing was "bye bye poo, we're thru with you!" as we
flushed. He's got no problems with it at all, so that's sort of phasd
out now)

Dawn, cheering for Kivi! (and Cathy!)

Old November 23rd 03, 12:00 AM
Cheryl S.

Cathy Weeks wrote in message
om...
Once she even "wiped" and tossed the TP into the potty.
She thought that was pretty funny. Sometimes she chose to
go, sometimes she kept playing. Mostly it seemed like she
thought it was funny. Sometimes she would follow me of her
own accord and sit on the potty.

This kind of "play" is how kids learn. It looks like play since she's
not "really" using the potty, but it is all new to her and wiping and
tossing the TP in the potty are skills she has to master to be able to
use it for real. Whether she's produced anything or not at this point,
the practice at wiping and tossing will be just as useful when she does
start to go. Let her practice each step as much as she's interested,
and expand on what she's doing with verbal explanations. The best part
about letting her completely master each step before getting rid of
diapers, IME, is that she'll be completely self-sufficient in the
bathroom right from the start. You won't have to worry about having to
drop everything at any moment to rush to the bathroom and help her -
she'll just go and do it herself.

I tend to go overboard, so I need to be careful not to push
due to my own excitement.

Yep - don't start thinking it's going to be a straight shot from here to
the end of diapers. Just as it took a while (probably) to get from
pulling up on furniture to walking confidently it is going to take time
and a lot of practice to acquire all the skills needed for toilet use.
Right now she's at the pulling up on furniture stage. :-) She may have
several phases of interest and lose interest completely a few times
inbetween, before everything suddenly clicks and she puts it all
together to start using the toilet all the time. Congrats on the first
big step though!
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 7 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.