How can you tell early contractions?

Old August 6th 04, 02:04 PM
Donna Metler

Default How can you tell early contractions?

This is probably complete and utter paranoia, but I've had a lot of lower
back pain the last few days. Most sites say it's a normal part of pregnancy
(and I have a slight scoliosis, so it's even more expected), but there are a
few which list back pain as a sign of premature labor! YIKES!

I've never gone into labor naturally, so I have no idea of what really early
contractions feel like, and I do know several mothers who had labor start in
the 2nd trimester (and that if it progresses too far, they can't stop it).

I'm coming up onto the point where I've never had a pregnancy go this far
before, so I'm super paranoid, especially with my husband out of town. I
have a call in to the CNW for this panic attack, but I'm wondering what else
I should look for (especially in the hours after the office is closed).

Old August 6th 04, 02:32 PM
Nikki

Donna Metler wrote:
This is probably complete and utter paranoia, but I've had a lot of
lower back pain the last few days. Most sites say it's a normal part
of pregnancy (and I have a slight scoliosis, so it's even more
expected), but there are a few which list back pain as a sign of
premature labor! YIKES!

I was terribly paranoid about this so I can't imagine how you must feel :-(

Cramps, contractions, low dull back pain, increased or water discharge,
spotting, and pelvic pressure can all be signs of pre-term labor. Of course
I had all but the contractions in both pregnancies and no preterm labor at
all. I thought Hunter would just fall out I had so much back pain and
pelvic pressure. Lie down for an hour and drink some water to see if you
feel any better.

Basically, when in doudt - just call your doctor. My doctor said to do that
and I imagine yours will be upset if you are concerned and don't call her!

IF the low back pain is recent, comes in waives, or seems to move around
(creep towards the front) that is more concerning. If there is any
spotting, that is more of a concern. Up to 3 contractions an hour are
normal and OK. 4 or more and you should call your doc. That is what I was
told. I either never had any or never was able to identify them. I think
most people have *some* before they go into labor.

Take care,

--
Nikki

Old August 6th 04, 04:30 PM
Leslie

I'm not an expert, but I would say if you are just having a sore back feeling
over several days, it is probably just a sore back. This is what it feels like
to me when it is labor (everyone is different, though): it is more of a
constant, throbbing pain, kind of like cramps but very low in the back. I
always start going into labor with that.

I'm sure your doctor will set your mind at ease!

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old August 6th 04, 05:38 PM
Circe

Donna Metler wrote:
This is probably complete and utter paranoia, but I've had a lot of
lower back pain the last few days. Most sites say it's a normal
part of pregnancy (and I have a slight scoliosis, so it's even more
expected), but there are a few which list back pain as a sign of
premature labor! YIKES!

I've never gone into labor naturally, so I have no idea of what
really early contractions feel like, and I do know several mothers
who had labor start in the 2nd trimester (and that if it progresses
too far, they can't stop it).

Unless the back pain is rhythmic (comes and goes in waves rather than being
consistently present), it is probably *not* labor but plain old back pain.

I'll add that I *never* had any pain in my back during any of my three
labors. For me, all the pain was concentrated low and in front of my uterus.
So, while pain in the back *can* and often is a symptom of labor, it's not a
necessary component of real labor, either.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"BU__ SH__!"