weaning onto EBM in bottles, need help

Old September 12th 03, 08:25 PM
teapot

Default weaning onto EBM in bottles, need help

Hi all

I have a job that will keep me away from Moo boy for 4 hours every
monday, it starts in 2 weeks.

I can express milk ok but can't get him to take it from anythnig other
than a breast. I have tried various teats but he just chokes. My
current tactic is to use a slow flow teat (avent) and try him with a
bottle after he breaks off from breast on of a feed. Is this likely
to work?

anyy help., as always would be much appreciated.

teapot (moo is 3 months old)
Old September 12th 03, 09:14 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

teapot wrote:

I can express milk ok but can't get him to take it from anythnig other
than a breast.

I'd have the person who's going to be watching him try to
give a bottle in the place where he's going to be watched,
with you nowhere in sight. They might have better luck than
you (and if it's going to be a struggle, that person will
have more incentive to keep it up now in hopes of easier
feedings later).

try him with a
bottle after he breaks off from breast on of a feed.

I'd try him when he's hungry, but not frantic, and not offer
both breast and bottle at the same feeding. The mouth
movements are different in nursing and drinking from a
bottle, so he's going to be frustrated until he realizes how
to make milk come out.

Caterpillar is a good bottle-taker. But it took 3 days of
trying (one bottle a day) before she got the hang of
drinking from them. And yesterday, having gone 5 or 6 days
with no bottle, she all but refused it, and finally was
hungry enough to drink an ounce or two. Today she was back
to her normal 4 ounces sucked down happily. So practice
makes perfect.

If Moo-boy hasn't had bottles regularly before now, there's
a chance he might just refuse to take one. A soft-sided cup
(like the Avent nipple cover) or a sippy cup with no valve
(but I'm thinking he's on the young side for a sippy cup?)
might work better.

Phoebe

Old September 13th 03, 09:47 AM
Jacqui

Clisby wibbled

And, to be completely cold-hearted about it, he won't starve in 4
hours.

vbg Now if someone could just get that message through to *the
babies*... I swear T thinks we're the world's most cruel and heartless
parents for occasionally making him wait *five whole minutes* while I
get a drink/sit down/open my bra/finish the last mouthfuls of my
meal/DH warms a bottle or finishes a nappy change. And I know he's by
no means alone in this. Obviously while a baby's memory does include
food (you can tell when they're dreaming about it!) they have no
concept of "it was only an hour since you finished the last feed". :-)

Jac
Old September 14th 03, 04:01 AM
Laurie

teapot wrote in message . ..
Hi all

I have a job that will keep me away from Moo boy for 4 hours every
monday, it starts in 2 weeks.

I can express milk ok but can't get him to take it from anythnig other
than a breast. I have tried various teats but he just chokes. My
current tactic is to use a slow flow teat (avent) and try him with a
bottle after he breaks off from breast on of a feed. Is this likely
to work?

anyy help., as always would be much appreciated.

teapot (moo is 3 months old)

With Jessica, the thing that worked was making the milk very, very warm.
With CHristopher, the temperature isn't as important but he liked the
playtex nurser orthodontic nipple (NOT the regular playtex nurser one! He
hated that one!)

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4.5 months

*This email address is now valid*

Old September 14th 03, 07:08 PM
teapot

Jacqui wrote in message .7...
Clisby wibbled

And, to be completely cold-hearted about it, he won't starve in 4
hours.

vbg Now if someone could just get that message through to *the
babies*... I swear T thinks we're the world's most cruel and heartless
parents for occasionally making him wait *five whole minutes* while I
get a drink/sit down/open my bra/finish the last mouthfuls of my
meal/DH warms a bottle or finishes a nappy change. And I know he's by
no means alone in this. Obviously while a baby's memory does include
food (you can tell when they're dreaming about it!) they have no
concept of "it was only an hour since you finished the last feed". :-)

Jac

It;s his dad that wil be feeding him and I am really not looking
forward to getting home to 2 miserable people!

I bought an Avent bottle/breast to cup teat today and he seems quite
keen on it cos he can chew it - he hasnt worked out sucking it yet but
becuase it doesnt flood his mouth he isnt chokeing so thats good. I
just hope he doesnt think that its ok to chew me now though!

teapot
Old September 17th 03, 05:35 PM
Melissa

teapot wrote:
Caterpillar is a good bottle-taker. But it took 3 days of
trying (one bottle a day) before she got the hang of
drinking from them. And yesterday, having gone 5 or 6 days
with no bottle, she all but refused it, and finally was
hungry enough to drink an ounce or two. Today she was back
to her normal 4 ounces sucked down happily. So practice
makes perfect.

If Moo-boy hasn't had bottles regularly before now, there's
a chance he might just refuse to take one.

....and it's possible that Caterpillar just won't do it. DD usually will take
an ounce or so (over a 45 minute period) but sometimes just won't. We did
all of the right things (starting early, trying frequently, trying different
nipples, etc.) and she still won't really take much from a bottle. She's now
five months and I'm going to start her attempting a sippy cup this morning.

We've found our best experiences with bottles have been with the new
bottle/nipple from Munchkin (the tri-flow). [Note that (a) my friend works
for Munchkin and (b) the LC's who recommend the nipple are the ones who lead
my bf'ing group.]

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03