PPD or just stir crazy?

Old September 16th 03, 01:36 AM
Lina

Default PPD or just stir crazy?

oht...
I am starting to find myself becoming more down and lonely in the last few
weeks.
Alena is 11 weeks old as of tomorrow, and I just feel trapped. we're
nursing on demand still and I'm not really looking to set her on any
schedule.
I'm doing all of the housework as dh is working 12 hour shifts right now
and sil seems to think I'm the live-in maid.
I've been going for a walk every day and I feel better after I do, but I
hate feeling so cooped up. I want to go to the early year's center that's
just up the road, but I'm afraid of what I'll find there, and if I can
handle that many people I don't know all at once.
should I talk to my doctor about ppd, or am I just going stir crazy?

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old September 16th 03, 06:56 AM
azure

I'd definitely get out for a week or two first! I get "depressed" in just
one day of being home alone. then again, if your too depressed to go out,
maybe you do need to see the dr. Its a bit of the chicken or the egg
dilemma, you know best!

cheers,

Leah

"Lina" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
[...]

---

Old September 16th 03, 03:03 PM
Nevermind

"Lina" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
oht...
I am starting to find myself becoming more down and lonely in the last few
weeks.
Alena is 11 weeks old as of tomorrow, and I just feel trapped. we're
nursing on demand still and I'm not really looking to set her on any
schedule.
I'm doing all of the housework as dh is working 12 hour shifts right now
and sil seems to think I'm the live-in maid.

Well, you're not, right? Does she actually make demands or do you
intuit them? If the latter, turn off your sonar, if you know what I
mean.

I've been going for a walk every day and I feel better after I do, but I
hate feeling so cooped up. I want to go to the early year's center that's
just up the road, but I'm afraid of what I'll find there, and if I can
handle that many people I don't know all at once.

This is the part that worries me. What do you fear you might find
there? If you feel you can't ge yourself to go to a place like that,
then I do think you should talk to a doc.

should I talk to my doctor about ppd, or am I just going stir crazy?

Hard to say. I think being cooped up could easily lead to feeling down
and sort of nutty. Get out as much as you can, and not just for walks
if possible. Do you have any friends in the area?
Old September 16th 03, 04:12 PM
Sara

Nevermind wrote:

"Lina" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
oht...

I want to go to the early year's center that's
just up the road, but I'm afraid of what I'll find there, and if I can
handle that many people I don't know all at once.

This is the part that worries me. What do you fear you might find
there? If you feel you can't ge yourself to go to a place like that,
then I do think you should talk to a doc.

Me too, as they say. One of my symptoms of PPD, I've realized, was a
fear of taking the subway -- it seemed overwhelming.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
(I check this e-mail account infrequently)

http://postpartum.meetup.com/
Old September 16th 03, 05:34 PM
Lina

"Nevermind" wrote in message
om...
"Lina" wrote in message

. cable.rogers.com...
oht...
I am starting to find myself becoming more down and lonely in the last

few
weeks.
Alena is 11 weeks old as of tomorrow, and I just feel trapped. we're
nursing on demand still and I'm not really looking to set her on any
schedule.
I'm doing all of the housework as dh is working 12 hour shifts right

now
and sil seems to think I'm the live-in maid.

Well, you're not, right? Does she actually make demands or do you
intuit them? If the latter, turn off your sonar, if you know what I
mean.

She doesn't make them to me, but she told DH that it should be my job to
clean up after them as I don't have a paying job. Part of it is sonar as
well.

I've been going for a walk every day and I feel better after I do, but

hate feeling so cooped up. I want to go to the early year's center

that's
just up the road, but I'm afraid of what I'll find there, and if I can
handle that many people I don't know all at once.

This is the part that worries me. What do you fear you might find
there? If you feel you can't ge yourself to go to a place like that,
then I do think you should talk to a doc.

I think it's that most of the women in this town are of the "I do what my
husband tells me to do" variety. I tend not to get along with them, as I'm
of the "woman are equal to men" variety. Large groups of those kinds of
women make me nervous. Always have. I feel more comfortable with
independant, free thinkers. I made a pact with my family visitor that
I'd go with her on Thursday. So we'll see how I feel.

should I talk to my doctor about ppd, or am I just going stir crazy?

Hard to say. I think being cooped up could easily lead to feeling down
and sort of nutty. Get out as much as you can, and not just for walks
if possible. Do you have any friends in the area?

I do, but they're all moving. That's why I really want to go to the center.
Who knows? I might meet some really great, free thinking women there. I
have to try.

I also had a good long talk with my grandma and then my husband about SIL
and looking after the baby. We're going to make a schedule so I can have
even 15 minutes a day to meditate and just relax by myself.
Hopefully that will help too.

Thanks everyone.

Old September 17th 03, 02:31 PM
Nevermind

"Lina" wrote
I'm doing all of the housework as dh is working 12 hour shifts right

now
and sil seems to think I'm the live-in maid.

Well, you're not, right? Does she actually make demands or do you
intuit them? If the latter, turn off your sonar, if you know what I
mean.

She doesn't make them to me, but she told DH that it should be my job to
clean up after them as I don't have a paying job. Part of it is sonar as
well.

I hate that attitude! Remind anyone you feel comfortable reminding
that if you went out to paying work and you put your child in daycare,
it would cost your family money -- a lot of money. Childcare has huge
financial implications for every family, whether the mom is doing it
or a stranger is. Caring for an infant all day is a full-time job --
that's why we spend so much money when we have others do it for us.

This is the part that worries me. What do you fear you might find
there? If you feel you can't ge yourself to go to a place like that,
then I do think you should talk to a doc.

I think it's that most of the women in this town are of the "I do what my
husband tells me to do" variety. I tend not to get along with them, as I'm
of the "woman are equal to men" variety. Large groups of those kinds of
women make me nervous. Always have. I feel more comfortable with
independant, free thinkers. I made a pact with my family visitor that
I'd go with her on Thursday. So we'll see how I feel.

Oh, well this seems reasonable; we all have social situation that
cause us stress, PPD or not. I hope you do go and that you are
pleasantly surprised by what you find. I have found that even women
who seem traditional (based on their choices regarding work/home
relationships and their religious affiliations, say) sometimes are
still quite free-thinking and not the doormats they appear to be.

Just curious, what part of the world are you in? I'm having trouble
imagining a whole town of women who are doormats.

should I talk to my doctor about ppd, or am I just going stir crazy?

Hard to say. I think being cooped up could easily lead to feeling down
and sort of nutty. Get out as much as you can, and not just for walks
if possible. Do you have any friends in the area?

I do, but they're all moving. That's why I really want to go to the center.
Who knows? I might meet some really great, free thinking women there. I
have to try.

I also had a good long talk with my grandma and then my husband about SIL
and looking after the baby. We're going to make a schedule so I can have
even 15 minutes a day to meditate and just relax by myself.
Hopefully that will help too.

Good! Most of all, please keep in mind that your SIL's attitude is not
legitimate. Can you at least get your husband on your side? I don't
really officially have 15 minutes to myself per day, though I do
"steal" time most days. I can cope with that. I can will myself to be
strong and keep working. (Not that this is a healthy attitude either.)
What I couldn't cope with would be an attitude among my adult
housemates that I owe them housework because I'm sitting on my butt
(or some such attitude) taking care of a baby all day. Now, *that*
would drive me crazy.

I hope you will update us after Thursday on how that went!
Old September 17th 03, 04:50 PM
Lina

"Nevermind" wrote in message
om...
"Lina" wrote
[...]

I hate it too. It drives me batty! She thinks that I should be able to let
the baby cry (GRR) while I do dishes or some tripe like that. She's almost
never home, and when she is, she's fussing about the mess.

[...]

I live just outside Toronto. It's a small city that relies on Toronto for
money. Most of the women here are either hard working women or married and
soccer moms. The ones I've met can't do anything without their husbands or
at least his approval. It's probably not the whole town, but that's how I
sincerely feel.

[...]

He's totally on my side now! (He was flip-flopping for a while.) We're both
sick of her, but can't afford this place without a room mate, and she's the
only one we can find right now.
As for her attitude, I've been having awesome dreams where her and I get
into a rip roaring fight and I tell her off. I'm waiting for the right
motivation that won't get DH yelled at. (The poor guy gets nagged by her
every time I do something she doesn't like.)

I hope you will update us after Thursday on how that went!

I'll let you know! Who knows, it might be a total blast!