Birth story: Jack (Long)

Old August 5th 04, 08:57 PM
Donna

Default Birth story: Jack (Long)

Thanks for all your congratulations, everyone.

We had an OR time of 7am on the 27th, so we were in the car at around 5am
heading to the hospital (we had to be there by 5:30). Ironically, knowing
exactly when the delivery was scheduled was a little bit of a letdown for
both of us, because the last time we had the whole drama of my water
breaking, and the call to the hospital to see if we should come in, and the
surprise of having a C rather than a vaginal delivery... so just setting an
alarm and getting in the car felt a little flat. Anyway, we checked in, and
I went back to have my IV started, and my husband went to check to make sure
he was going to be allowed in the OR. (The poor guy had viral meningitis in
the last weeks before I delivered, did I ever mention that? So did my
daughter. How I didn't catch it, I'll never know.) He got the OK to come
in, thank heaven.

They inserted the epidural, and once I was situated, let Steven in the room.
The whole surgery took maybe 25 minutes. Steven kept peeking over the
drape and grinning and telling me "He's almost here!". Jack was born at
7:49. Just before they delivered him my OB said "Ok, here he comes, last
guesses for weight?" I said 10 pounds, Steven went as high as 11. She
just shook her head and grinned, saying "You two are crazy, this is not an
11 pound infant." (He came in at 9 pounds 2 ounces, which sounds large, but
our first child was even bigger.)

Steven went with the nurses over to the warming table with the baby, cut the
cord shorter, and watched while they judged his apgars (9 and 10). He
called over that he was healthy and had all of his fingers and toes. At
some point he and the baby and the nurse all disappeared to go do something
or other - I can't recall, but I suspect they went to the nursery for the
newborn workup, etc. My OB stitched me up, and sent me down to recovery.
Amazingly, this time I had a completely uneventful post-op period. Last
time I had some nausea and vomiting from the anesthesia, this time...
nothing. The epidural had clotted off in post-op, so the anesthesiologist
set me up with a PCA pump for the first 24 hours, and sent me up to the
"honeymoon suite".

The hospital where we delivered both babies has a few "suites" - two bed
private rooms, available on a first-come first-served basis. I asked if one
was available, and not only was one, but it was the same room where I stayed
after I delivered Sarah, my elder child, in 2002. The nursing staff and
lactation staff were the same, as well. It was so great to not only be in
a completely familiar environment, but to keep running into the same women
who were so wonderful the last time. I can't say enough about how great my
stay was.

I stayed in the hospital the full three days post delivery. Jack roomed
in, except that I sent him to the nursery at night. We had already
established good nursing (it's amazing how quickly that comes back), so I
wasn't worried about nipple confusion if he got a bottle at night.

We've been home for a week, now, and everything is *so* much easier than I
would have expected. Jack is a wonderful sleeper - he's already beginning
to orient himself to a humane day-night schedule, and the last two nights he
slept four hours in a row - at NIGHT. I remember with my elder child that
I was still pacing the floor with her all night at 8 weeks. Nursing is
going great, and I'm off painkillers already. I'm really recovering well.
The only thing I didn't forsee was that my daughter has been *furious* at
me. She hasn't been letting me hug her, and she won't cuddle. It's not
unexpected, but I have to say that it is breaking my heart. Steven swears
that she's going to get over this, and I think she is beginning to adjust -
she let me read her a story last night for the first time, but it really
surprised me how angry she is.

Anyway, that's my news.

Donna

Old August 5th 04, 09:35 PM
Not My Real Name

The hospital where we delivered both babies has a few "suites" - two bed
private rooms, available on a first-come first-served basis. I asked if

one
was available, and not only was one, but it was the same room where I

stayed
after I delivered Sarah, my elder child, in 2002. The nursing staff and
lactation staff were the same, as well. It was so great to not only be

in
a completely familiar environment, but to keep running into the same women
who were so wonderful the last time. I can't say enough about how great

my
stay was.

Aww, how sweet that it was even the same room! Sounds like a great birth --
and yay that he and you are both doing so well! Congratulations!

--
-Sara
Mommy to DD, 28 months

Old August 5th 04, 09:58 PM
Mary W.

Donna wrote:

Thanks for all your congratulations, everyone.

Congratulations, so glad things went well!

Mary

Old August 6th 04, 04:24 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Donna wrote:

(The poor guy had viral meningitis in
the last weeks before I delivered, did I ever mention that? So did my
daughter. How I didn't catch it, I'll never know.) He got the OK to come

No, you didn't! Wow, yikes, and all that! I'm assuming that everyone
is OK now.

Beautiful story, BTW, although I hope your daughter adjusts quickly
(poor thing).
Old August 6th 04, 04:44 AM
Mary S.

Congratulations! I love the part I snipped out below -- that is so
sweet that you were in a familiar place, surrounded by the memories of
your first birth! Enjoy your baby, and welcome, little Jack.

Mary S.

Old August 6th 04, 06:21 AM
Catherine C.

"Donna" wrote in message ...
Thanks for all your congratulations, everyone.

Congrats again and thanks for sharing such a wonderful story! Hope
wee "big sister" comes around really soon! ...C.
Old August 6th 04, 06:21 AM
Catherine C.

Old August 6th 04, 09:21 PM
A&G&K

"Donna" wrote in message
Thanks for all your congratulations, everyone.

snip
They inserted the epidural, and once I was situated, let Steven in the

room.
The whole surgery took maybe 25 minutes. Steven kept peeking over the
drape and grinning and telling me "He's almost here!". Jack was born at
7:49. Just before they delivered him my OB said "Ok, here he comes, last
guesses for weight?" I said 10 pounds, Steven went as high as 11. She
just shook her head and grinned, saying "You two are crazy, this is not an
11 pound infant." (He came in at 9 pounds 2 ounces, which sounds large,

but
our first child was even bigger.)

Congratulations and Welcome to little Jack
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old August 7th 04, 12:15 AM
Tara

How cool to be in the same room as before. Glad you're recuperating
well.

Tara
Old August 8th 04, 12:02 AM
Wendy

It's wonderful that things are going so well and it sounds like you are
recovering from your c-section nicely. So is Sarah 2 years old? I am
having a baby in Nov. and DS will be 16 months so I am wondering if I am
going to get the same reaction from DS? You'll have to keep us posted on
how long it lasts and how she adjusts to the new baby. Congratulations,
again. Glad to hear you are feeling well.

Wendy