evening primrose oil...when to start

Old September 22nd 04, 02:55 AM
I & H

Default evening primrose oil...when to start

I'm 35 weeks along with baby #3. I remember taking evening primrose oil
capsules (orally) during my first two pregnancies to help ripen my cervix. I
had very fast labors and deliveries so something must have worked!! But for
this one I have an OB instead of a midwife and I haven't brought up the
topic. Does anyone know when I should start taking EPO? And should I just
take one a day or more?
Thanks

Old September 22nd 04, 06:50 AM
Samantha C.

I started taking 1000mg of Evening Primrose Oil one time daily at 35 weeks .
I also took a Borage,Fish, and Flax Oil combination daily,along with a
Calcium softgel supplement, all available from Wal-Mart

This was in addition to my daily prenatal .

Samantha,
Oklahoma

Old September 22nd 04, 07:14 AM
Jenrose

"Elfanie" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:55:41 GMT, "I & H"
wrote:

Does anyone know when I should start taking EPO? And should I just
take one a day or more?
Thanks

We generally recommend starting at 36 weeks...
and how much depends on if you do it orally or vaginally....and what
size capsules you're talking about. =)

Have you read the article in Midwifery Today 69 about EPO? The author says
that in her research, EPO was better at preventing preterm labor than
"bringing labor on"...that pregnancies lasted days longer when moms were
taking EPO (good for some, not for others!)

Semen contains actual prostaglandins, IIRC, and even semen won't really
bring labor on if the body isn't ready. But EPO only contains
precursors--and the body's only going to use them to make prostaglandins
(rather than, oh, baby brains or whatever else it does with EFA's) if it
determines that prostaglandins are a good idea.

IOW, I'm not sure that recommending EPO is necessarily wise if the goal is
"bringing on labor" or "encouraging cervical ripening". But might be a great
dietary supplement mid-pregnancy...

Jenrose

Old September 22nd 04, 01:33 PM
Cheryl

wrote:

Does anyone know when I should start taking EPO? And should I just
take one a day or more?
Thanks

We generally recommend starting at 36 weeks...
and how much depends on if you do it orally or vaginally....and what
size capsules you're talking about. =)

Have you read the article in Midwifery Today 69 about EPO? The author says
that in her research, EPO was better at preventing preterm labor than
"bringing labor on"...that pregnancies lasted days longer when moms were
taking EPO (good for some, not for others!)

That's really interesting. When she discussed her research, was she
only including women who were actually having contractions or did she
include women with a previous history of preterm births? I'm at
slightly increased risk for another prem baby for a couple of reasons
so this kind of thing really interests me.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Old September 22nd 04, 10:06 PM
Jenrose

That's really interesting. When she discussed her research, was she
only including women who were actually having contractions or did she
include women with a previous history of preterm births? I'm at
slightly increased risk for another prem baby for a couple of reasons
so this kind of thing really interests me.

I don't remember--it's been 9 months (and two pregnancies, a death in the
family and a wedding) since I read the article... but it's available as a
back issue at www.midwiferytoday.com #69 IIRC.

Jenrose

Old September 22nd 04, 11:17 PM
Cheryl

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:06:47 -0700, "Jenrose"
wrote:

That's really interesting. When she discussed her research, was she
only including women who were actually having contractions or did she
include women with a previous history of preterm births? I'm at
slightly increased risk for another prem baby for a couple of reasons
so this kind of thing really interests me.

I don't remember--it's been 9 months (and two pregnancies, a death in the
family and a wedding) since I read the article... but it's available as a
back issue at www.midwiferytoday.com #69 IIRC.

Thanks, I'll see what I can dig up.