They're trying to outlaw At-home schooling WAS: Kirstie - Should over-eating be treated like smoking

Old November 11th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,misc.education.home-school.christian,alt.education
telenovels

Default They're trying to outlaw At-home schooling WAS: Kirstie - Should over-eating be treated like smoking

"They" being atheists, but also other anti-religious folks like
communists and progressives. (continued below)

cloud dreamer wrote:
videonovels wrote:
cloud dreamer wrote:

Pushy atheists? When is the last time you had an atheist
come to your door and tell you how to run your life??? .......

When they force religious folks' children to attend a government school
against their will (i.e. forbidding at-home schooling). And YES there
are several atheists trying to outlaw homeschooling.

Schooling is for the three Rs...reading, writing and arithmetic.
Church is for educating the children in religion.
Forbidding homeschooling is to standardize what is taught.

..

Hence you demonstrate what the term "pushy atheist" means. You are
trying to force YOUR opinion to become everybody's opinion. Like a
dictator or an "oligarchy of atheists". A small group of men trying to
run everybody else's home.

Annoying.

In MY opinion, freedom to choose schools is JUST as important, probably
more so, as having freedom to choose amongst multiple phone companies
or multiple car manufacturers (versus just one choice/monopoly). To
me, choice == freedom. And therefore parents should have multiple
options for schools: Government, Private, Church, Individual Tutoring,
or straight out-of-the-book-learning/ at-home schooling.

And that's the genius of this country:

We are FREE. We don't have to follow anybody else's opinion except our
own. Each man/woman is a president of his/her own household, and that
includes what Values we want our children to learn.

..
As for myself, I find the pro-corporation, pro-"be a consumer", pro-"be
a corporate wage slave" attitude of public schools to be disgusting. I
do NOT want to send my kids there. If you outlaw home-schooling as an
option, you take away my freedom to avoid that pro-corporate culture
(and mediocrity) that runs rampant through the government schools.

More opinions you should read:
http://heron61.livejournal.com/443109.html
- "When schools are actually encouraged to have kids put on psychiatric
drugs at as early an age as possible, and where children are likely to
be abused by their teachers and the faculty and staff, let alone each
other, I am very glad that home schooling is an option."

- "The most damning thing I can say about public school is that it
creates an aritifical, age-based environment in which children are
taught that they have nothing in common with anyone outside of their
own age range, in which they are taught that conformity and mediocrity
are positive things, and in which harassment from one's peers is both
expected and normal. These things I wholeheartedly and utterly oppose."

- "I was homeschooled, and I wasn't purposefully exposed to differing
viewpoints: I just had the run of the libary :P. I didn't end up
becoming a fundy, even though my parents were. The only problem I see
is that we don't have tribes anymore, so there isn't that informal
communal education of kids. But there could be, and government
regulation that stands in the way of parents coming together to teach
their own children (via homeschooling) concerns me."

- "Public schools these days aren't really places you want to go if you
want to learn anything. In Pennsylvania, I am told by a few
homeschoolers, the kids have to take the same achievement tests as the
public school students and be evaluated for advancement. (Disclaimer:
said homeschoolers are not fundies, but either scientist-atheists or
pagans. Make of this what you will.)"

- "In my view, sending a kid to public school is just another flavor of
'exposing a child to only one viewpoint.' Schools serve the power
elites, I don't like the power elite, therefore, I don't much like
public schools."

- "In the government schools I attended, the school was - for all
intents and purposes - the source of nearly all conformist attitudes,
and individuality-stunting endeavors."

- "I homeschooled my son for as long as I could. He could NOT survive
in a traditional environment. I know of a young woman who graduated
college at the age of 20. She is extremely intelligent. Polyamorous.
Very self confident. Not religious in any way... her mother chose to
homeschool her because she was light years ahead of children her own
age. Just because the fundy's do it, doesn't mean the rest of us are
screwed, or that we should oppose our OWN right to educate our
children. Freedom for all... even if it hurts."

AND FINALLY:

"Most of the people reading your blog strike me as being odd - all of
us are some combination of LGBT/pan/whatever, poly, otherkin, unusual
religions, philosophers, geeks, gamers, etc. ----- You can keep
avoiding the question by opining for the masses, but what do you
suggest that we 'oddballs' and non-traditionalists gain by
educating/conforming ourselves in the common values? All I know is
that I'd be damned if I let someone else try to take my children [to
government school] and program them anti-lesbian/ hate your gay
parents' values against my wishes. It would be one of those 'defend to
the death' sort of things."

..

What you Cloud-dreamer want to do is make a bunch of CLONES out of
people, by forcing them all to conform to your public schooling.

As a pro-liberty-loving person, I strongly oppose conformity. I like
variety. *Infinite Diversity via Infinite Combination.* And the way
to achieve that is to be Pro-Choice towards education. Allow each
person to choose his/her own style of schooling, whether it's
government-education or private-education or individual-tutoring or
book-learning (at-home). That's true Freedom.

That's what this nation was founded for.
That's what we strive to achieve:
MORE choices, not less.

Old November 13th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,misc.education.home-school.christian,alt.education
Theo Bekkers

telenovels wrote:

In MY opinion, freedom to choose schools is JUST as important,
probably more so, as having freedom to choose amongst multiple phone
companies or multiple car manufacturers (versus just one
choice/monopoly). To me, choice == freedom. And therefore parents
should have multiple options for schools: Government, Private,
Church, Individual Tutoring, or straight out-of-the-book-learning/
at-home schooling.

And that's the genius of this country:

We are FREE. We don't have to follow anybody else's opinion except
our own. Each man/woman is a president of his/her own household, and
that includes what Values we want our children to learn.

Do you think you should have the freedom to not educate your children?

Theo

Old November 13th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,misc.education.home-school.christian,alt.education
Michael S. Morris

Monday, the 13th of November, 2006

Theo Bekkers:
Do you think you should have the freedom to not educate your children?

I do. I think the compulsion in compulsory schooling should be removed
from the law. I think the average product of US public schools knows
nothing about science, know nothing about mathematics beyond
rudimentary arithmetic, and nothing about reading or literature
beyond Newsweek magazine-copy, and nothing about history of any kind.
In other words six weeks spent in attending summer courses at
age 12 or 13 would teach as much as the schools regularly do by
wasting 12 years x 180 days/yr of students' lives in institional
warehousing. As a parent, even if zero actual "schooling" were ever
done at home, it would be *difficult* to teach less than the average.

Mike Morris
)
Old November 15th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,misc.education.home-school.christian,alt.education
MEHSC Moberator

"telenovels" wrote:

- "I was homeschooled

You poor bugger!

--
Wonder where all the brain-dead Trew Kristyun Homeskoolas who can't debate
are? They've run away to hide at http://www.meh-sc.org !

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

God expects you to use your God-given brain and engage in educational
debate - not run away! ;-)

Old November 15th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,misc.education.home-school.christian,alt.education
MEHSC Moberator

"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

Do you think you should have the freedom to not educate your children?

Or teach them pseudo-svioence creationism ionstead of real science?

Or bible myths instead of history?

Or Jesus Jingles instead of music?

Or God Ads instead of literature?

Or biblical maths (1 + 1+ 1 = 1) instead of real maths?

Old November 15th 06, 01:23 AM posted to misc.education.home-school.christian,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.education
MEHSC Moberator

Default http://www.meh-sc.org

Homeskoola "Marty Carts" wrote:

rec.arts.tv, misc.kids, alt.education
all axed.

All returned.

Do you think you should have the freedom to not educate your children?

Yes.

A pity that the brain dead Marty Farts ... er ... Carts doesn't do that!

Homeskool is NOT education!

Here's a quick note about the reason for http://www.meh-sc.org/ or which
Farty Carts ... er ... Marty Farts ... er Marty Carts is a member .........

In the past, the Usenet newsgroup misc.education.home-school.christian was a
dreadful place for anyone interested in education, Trew Kristyun homeskoolas
discussed sundry topics unrelated related to the educational practice of
home schooling and called professional educators "trolls".

As a result of the inability of these brain-dead Trew Kriustyun homeskoolas
to look at educational issues via reflective praxis and their refusal to
engage in educational debate, the meh-sc newsgroup became less and less
useful as a place for good information or discussion

These brain-dead Trew Kristyun homeskoolas desired an exclusive forum
without the challenge from professional educators who posed questions that
they could not answer.

Fundamentalist Brandon Staggs had the rights to the name and formed
http://www.meh-sc.org/:. Below is a critique of
http://www.brandonstaggs.com/biblica...me-school.html which is
typical of most Christian fundamentalist home schoolers' erroneous beliefs
on education ...mainly based on Old Testament proof verses.

################################################## #######

Offered here are just a handful of verses from God's word

This is one of the reasons homeschoolers should be very careful! Home
schooling is dominated by rabid fundamentalists who do not value learning
for the sake of learning. Brandon thinks the bible is the "Word of God'
when in fact it is an ancient collection of books about people's experience
of God. If one reads all the bible it clearly states that Jesus is the Word
of God (John 1: 1) Such verses seem not to be read by literalists.

There are hundreds of reasons to reject the usage of the government
education system, including social, moral, academic, ethical, political,
and "religious" reasons. For a Christian, especially a Christian who values
the authority of Scripture, God's own words on the matter should settle the
issue.

This is much the same type of introduction that Christian School advocates
give for their system to be the "one and only Christian way" to educate
children. It is simply not true in any aspect whatsoever. This is an
unsubstantiated biased claim based on subjective opinion on bible proof
verses taken out of context.

The word "school" does not appear in either the Old or New Testament and
therefore the bible cannot be used to back any particular school system.
Early Christians sent their children to classical schools. Educational
concerns about the classical schools (primary or secondary) Christians sent
their children to was not an issue in any of the New Testament letters. The
letters also fail to recognise anything concerned with church as schooling.

As William Barclay correctly pointed out:

"The New Testament lays down no kind of curriculum of training for the
child; the New Testament knows nothing about religious education and nothing
about schools; for the New Testament is certain that the only training which
really matters is given within the home, and that there are no teachers so
effective for good and evil as parents." (William Barclay, Educational
Ideals in the Ancient World, Grand Rapids, Mich: Baker Book House: 1974.,
p.236)

That is NOT to say that parents are naturally good at teaching academic
subjects! While professional teachers are best at teaching facts, concepts
and skills the changing of attitudes and value inculcation is best done by
parents who are not trained in teaching facts, concepts and skills. Use the
people best suited for what you want to achieve. It should be noted that
most home schoolers have no formal teaching qualifications whatsoever. It
is like refusing to send your child to a qualified professional surgeon to
have an operation and performing the task yourself on your kitchen table
because "as a parent I know the child better ... and surgery is only using a
knife ...which I use to cut up the meat and veg every day ... simple!" DIY
surgery is a metaphor of homeschooling.

In the 4th century the Emperor Julian challenged the Christians to take
their children out of the classical schools, where other gods were taught,
and to retreat to their own schools where they could be taught out of
"Matthew and Luke". He was determined to force on Christians the
educationalconsequences of the New Testament. The Emperor Julian uses the
word "anetos" to describe the children of Christian parents ... it means
"mindless". He suggested that they be cured by an Hellenistic education.
However, children were not penalised because of their parent's beliefs and
the classical schools remained open to all people. Two people named
Apollinaris (father and son) converted the bible into pseudo-classical
literature with the Pentateuch as a Homeric epic and the gospels as Platonic
dialogues because Julian compelled Christians to to work from texts written
in sub-classical Greek.

In subsequent centuries Christians developed a quasi-educational system to
teach the New Testament but this did not come into conflict with classical
schooling in any practical manner. basil, Bishop of Caesarea in Cappadocia,
wrote "To Young Men on the Advantages of Greek Literature" which suggested
that pupils need not be corrupted by their work, but the onus was upon
parents (and also secondarily teachers) within the church to train them in
Christian belief after school.

The historical fact is that Christians educated their children fully within
the secular system for the first four centuries after Christ's death in
spite of any contradiction that might have posed. They contradicted any
negative influence by biblical training at church and home.

Alternate schooling by fundamentalists, including home schooling, is a
reaction of their intimidated by pluralism and modernity. Jesus speaks of
being salt and light in the world not of running away from it. There would
be far fewer home schools if the world was stuck back in the 1950s where
fundamentalists wish to drag everybody.

So here we attempt to explain a conviction we have through the only
objective way possible: Holy Scripture.

Actually this is a very biased way which only works if you are a rabid
fundamentalist. Other Christians, like myself, do not take the bible as the
final word on anything. A Christian is meant to use their God given brain.
This explanation is also not useful for Moslems, Buddhists, Jews, Atheists,
Agnostics, etc etc etc. It ONLY works for fundamentalists ... just like
creation pseudo-science it is to be totally rejected as the subjective
opinion of fanatics.

Universal schooling is a modern invention and a culturally determined
phenomenon. As a result direct appeal to the bible as "proof" for a
schooling system is inadmissible.

The bible uses terms associated with the teaching ministry within a church
and educational metaphors but these cannot be honestly transposed to support
any Christian schooling concept. The Greeks had discussed education in much
the same terms as we do today by the time of Jesus ... but this is NOT what
the New Testament mentions.

The sacrifice that pleases God is that which engages the mind. (Romans
12:1).

a heathen school

They are PUBLIC schools open to all, not "heathen" schools .... which is a
pejorative term. Should one also refer to home schooling as "home skoolun"
in the same manner?

There are many well educated professional teachers working in the public
schools who are Christians. I was one of them!

It saddens me that there are so many Christian parents in home schooling who
refuse to critically reflect on their choice of homeschooling and who
constantly demonise anyone who disagrees with them. I have been referred to
as a "troll" by people far less qualified to speak on the matter of
education and who have far less understanding of the bible. (See posts
to Trew Kristyun thugs at misc.education.home-school.christian)

Furthermore, there seems to be no professional reading of any high quality
done by homeschoolers. Having refused to even consider criticism their
refuge is in poorly written fundamentalist "books" which no worthy academic
educational journal would consider publishing. As a result they are left to
wander in a sea of mutual ignorance. It is not their ignorance that
worries me as much as the damage they do to innocent children who deserve
much better than the amateurish witchdoctor type "edjakashun" of home
schooling.

****************************

In our times, various ideologically dedicated groups increasingly use
censorship, coercion, or propaganda to limit access to ideas, literature,
and the arts that they consider threatening. p.74

Censorship, the twin brother of propaganda, is the tool of despots, of
idealogues, of ayatollahs, of fantics. p.96

Franky Schaeffer "Sham Pearls For Real Swine" ( Wolgemuth & Hyatt;
Brentwood:1990) [Francis Schaeffer's son & Susan Schaeffer Macaulay's
brother]

################################################## ###

Old November 15th 06, 01:24 AM posted to misc.education.home-school.christian,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.education
MEHSC Moberator

Default MEHSC MOBERATOR WARNING - "Scott Bryce" [email protected]

MEHSC MOBERATOR WARNING

Dear Trew Homeskoola "Scott Bryce"

I am refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view. You make silence
a wonderful thing to look forward to. However I took exception to your
recent homeskool scribble.

It was:
[X] Illiterate
[X] Irrational
[X] Uninformed
[X] Written with a blunt crayon that had been stuck up someone's nose
[X] Written on a slate covered with puke
[X] Written on both sides of used toilet paper

Your attention is drawn to the fact that:
[X] You contradicted professional educators who know far more about
education than you will ever know in several lifetimes
[X] You contradicted yourself several times
[X] You agreed with infamous internet kook Steve Winter
[X] You mindlessly dribbled and belched several times
[X] You repeatedly assumed unwarranted spiritual, moral, intellectual and /
or educational superiority
[X] You mentioned nothing about real education but waffled on about
homeskool ratbaggery and DIY amateur experimentation on children
[X] You keep talking to yourself in Homeskoolese

It is recommended that you:
[X] Devote your life to homeskooling in Iraq and Afghanistan.
[X] Get an education
[X] Learn how to spell
[X] Stop your abusive DIY amateur experimentation on children
[X] Start up a Homeskool Klown Skool
[X] Pay the standard $100 (Aus) Abuse Fine to the Moberator for your
childish fearfilled abusive homeskool behaviour

QUESTIONS TO UNDERSTAND YOU BETTER:

[X] Are you from the shallow end of the gene pool?
[X] Do you want fries with that?

Please save this message and review it occasionally to determine your
progress toward being;

[X] a tolerable homeskoola
[X] a fully-functional human being
[X] integrated into humanity
[X] re-integrated into the wild

If what you don't know can't hurt you, you're practically invulnerable.

You are hereby WARNED that future posting in the manner outlined above may
void your standing as a MESHC Member and you will have to reapply.

Thank you for taking the time to read this warning.

The MEHSC Moberator
On behalf of the MESHC Committed

################################################## #################
"HOMESKOOL - the alternative for those who are so deranged that they don't
want an education for their kids"
################################################## ##################

Get you Skool Suplice from Miss Poppy at "Downwind From The Homeskool"

Includes:

- Sister De Sade's Ten Commandments Ruler
- Bible Pencil Sharpener
- Jesus Walking On The Water Floaty Pen

http://www.jesus21.com/htdocs/hatemail.php

Old November 15th 06, 01:27 AM posted to misc.education.home-school.christian,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.education
MEHSC Moberator

Default MEHSC MOBERATOR WARNING - "Marty Carts" [email protected]

MEHSC MOBERATOR WARNING

Dear Trew Homeskoola "Marty Carts"

Old November 15th 06, 01:29 AM posted to misc.education.home-school.christian,rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,alt.education
MEHSC Moberator

Default DEFINITIVE REBUTTAL TO BRANDOIN STAGG'S "BIBLICAL HOMESKOOLUN"

"Brandon Staggs" - wrote

Here's a quick note about the reason for http://www.meh-sc.org/ or which
Brandon Staggs set up.

Old November 15th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,misc.kids,misc.education.home-school.christian,alt.education
Snapper

"MEHSC Moberator" wrote
Or teach them pseudo-svioence creationism ionstead of real science?

More examples of "professional education" spelling skills?

Sad story Plissken Pregnancy 181 July 20th 04 12:14 AM
CPS wrkrs may NOT enter home w/o search warrant Fern5827 General 0 July 8th 04 06:12 PM
misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 January 16th 04 09:15 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 December 15th 03 09:42 AM
Midwives & Home birth vs. an OB & hospital ? LSU Grad of '89 Pregnancy 54 October 12th 03 09:26 PM