Anyone else doing the hermit thing while pregnant?

Old January 15th 04, 10:27 PM
Jill

Default Anyone else doing the hermit thing while pregnant?

I'm sure those who have other kids don't get to do this, I am sure if I have
another child my next pregnancy will be nothing like this one.

But, since quitting my job I feel like I live like a hermit. Most other
people I know are working just like I was, so during the days, I just putter
around the house. It wasn't an issue much when I was very morning sick but
now I am feeling fine and so very aware of the fact that I get up leisurely
in the a.m., shower and change into a fresh pair of pajamas or sweatpants or
tracl suit, and ........that's about it! I am very slowly cleaning and
reorganizing the house etc but I am kind of, very bored. I am not doing all
the things I thought I would do with free time while I was working that I
didn't have a second to do such as read worthwhile literature and study
technical books such as computer programming and brush up on my Office
software skills etc. If it was Spring I would be out fixing up the yard and
planting flowers and vegetables.

I feel like a hermit. We are on too tight of a budget for me to go out and
do much shopping etc. I pass the days online and with my cat, and cleaning
house, and doing laundry and napping. BTW-- even staying home every day,
there is always a ton of housework waiting!! Always laundry and cleaning and
dusting and cooking.....I can never get caught up.

Old January 15th 04, 11:32 PM
Aprill

In article ,
"Jill" wrote:

I'm sure those who have other kids don't get to do this, I am sure if I have
another child my next pregnancy will be nothing like this one.

But, since quitting my job I feel like I live like a hermit. Most other
people I know are working just like I was, so during the days, I just putter
around the house.

snip

Well, I'm a bit of a hermit by choice normally.. so I'm finding that now
I'm on maternity leave with only 2-3 weeks left to go I'm wishing I'd
done alot more stuff while I was physically able.. But even now while
I'm slobbing around at home I'd love to just sit back and watch DVDs or
something but DH is working from home (a 1 bedroom apartment) and
cramping my style! :\

I wouldnt worry about the hermit'ing. Think of it as resting up for the
beginning of the rest of your life. Cleaning is always there to be done
later, or at least done by someone else. lol!

good luck,
Aprill

#1 EDD 6-feb-04
Old January 16th 04, 01:22 AM
New York Jen

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Jill,

That's actually very common. Many women become reclusive during pregnancy,
it's connected to that whole "nesting instinct" that takes place. I did the
same thing when pregnant with my son and it's hitting me now, although I'm
not sure if it's that or just that it's so freakin' cold outside! I know
it's partially hormonal because I cannot stop cleaning out drawers and
closets, also stuff I did while pregnant the first time.

Enjoy this time. I'm sure everyone's telling you "sleep now" - etc. because
once the baby comes you won't have access to all that alone time. Take it
easy and relish the time to relax. It won't last long!

- Jen

Old January 16th 04, 11:08 AM
Welches

Jill wrote in message
om...
I'm sure those who have other kids don't get to do this, I am sure if I

have
another child my next pregnancy will be nothing like this one.

No!
[...]

Go and look round places you won't be able to go when you've a baby. Or go
and check out places for the baby. Often mother & toddler groups welcom
pregnant mothers, and they'll be happy to give advice (which you can
ignore). Go and look in activity centres to see which ones you'll take the
baby when they're moving.
I feel like a hermit. We are on too tight of a budget for me to go out and
do much shopping etc. I pass the days online and with my cat, and cleaning
house, and doing laundry and napping. BTW-- even staying home every day,
there is always a ton of housework waiting!! Always laundry and cleaning

and
dusting and cooking.....I can never get caught up.

Try second hand shopping. Find a town with lots of charity/second hand
shops. Look at the baby stuff. I collect books which is fun too! Then the
stuff doesn't cost as much, and you'll get some lovely stuff. Give yourself
a small budget to stop and have a drink at a cafe. You can check out which
shops have a good baby change while you're there! That's a useful thing to
know.
Debbie

Old January 16th 04, 02:58 PM
Elitsirk

I had a similar experience being home for about 2 months between jobs
(but not pg)--At first it wasn't so bad since I was laid off the week
before Christmas, and we had Christmas stuff to do, and my family
coming to stay with us. Then I had time to take down the tree and all
the decorations and put the rest of the house back. And then I was
figuring out where all to look for a job. Then all of a sudden it was
the first week of January, and I had nothing to do all day but sleep,
clean, spend 5 minutes on the internet looking at the same job
postings, and wait for DH to come home so I had someone to talk to. I
also didn't have any money to spend, since I had severance but didn't
know how long I'd have to stretch it out for. I started watching a
lot of Christopher Lowell there for a while...

Of course, by the time I finally had a routine down of exercise,
cleaning, work on projects I'd finally gotten around to doing, going
on "excursions" (window shopping at the mall, maybe to a park or free
museum), I got a job.

That whole experience really made me think about what it would be like
to be a SAHM someday. Though some parts of it are still tempting, I
realized how much I like having the mental challenge of my career
(software engineer), and how much I like having the social interaction
of peers on a daily basis. I am, however, looking forward to
maternity leave and getting (hopefully--this isn't negotiated yet with
my boss) a good 3 months home with the new baby before jumping back
into the workforce.

Take it easy in your time off, and enjoy yourself. I'm sure you'll
find a good balance soon between relaxing and all of the other things
you'd like to take time to do before the baby arrives!

--Elit.
#1 edd 9/20/2004
Old January 17th 04, 01:15 PM
Mary

I was like that with Sproutkin -- I felt like nesting in, and so I spent
most of my time reading, writing, resting, studying, etc. As I'd only
recently been a student the hermit lifestyle suited me, and the coziness
of pregnancy (plus morning sickness plus back pain) made it so nice to
just chill out and enjoy being pregnant.

So much for that with a second baby! LOL. I never thought people were
supposed to be this *active* until toddlerdom hit.

If you're liking settling in, and not getting bored or blue, enjoy!
This time of life will never come again.

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 22 months

Old January 17th 04, 06:42 PM
Jill

"Mary" wrote
If you're liking settling in, and not getting bored or blue, enjoy!
This time of life will never come again.

I like nesting in, it's very unstressful not to have to worry about going to
work etc with not feeling well and beinf tired...I AM bored often though,
but it's a grateful kind of bored....I know I will never again in my life
have the luxury of this!! I remind myself of that every day....