Yet another media strike against AP!

Old July 16th 03, 07:12 AM
Jenrose

Default Yet another media strike against AP!

"Clisby Williams" wrote in message

Stephanie and Tim wrote:

snip
Well, I have no problem with other people who want to cosleep safely. But
this newsgroup gets to be a pretty unfriendly place regarding the issue

of
cosleeping sometimes. *I* like having no children in our bed. Like the

Ted
Bundy (or someone) comment above. Should this group be renamed radical AP
instead? If so, I will take my bf issues elsewhere when my baby is born.

I think there are plenty of people on this newsgroup who weren't too
fond of co-sleeping.
I'm one of them. We did it for awhile with my first child because it
was the best way
to get her to sleep, but it was terrible for *our* sleep. The heck with
the marriage bed;
I wanted the sleeping bed. I lucked out with the 2nd, who never
minded a crib.

Clisby

My thing is that
a) I can't sleep when the baby *isn't* in the bed
b) I figure families need to do what works best for them, as a family
c) I don't want to teach a kid to hate going to sleep--my daughter doesn't
d) We tend to use our bed for sleeping at night. Other stuff happens OTHER
times, but rarely "bedtime"

I don't care what other families do as long as it works for them. If they
complain about how hard it is to get enough sleep when baby is sleeping
somewhere else, or how they're struggling to "get" baby to sleep through the
night so they don't have to get up, I'm not all that sympathetic. But if it
works, hey! If it doesn't, and they're unwilling to co-sleeping, then I just
don't have a whole lot of advice on the subject. I *do* have ways of making
co-sleeping easier/more managable, so that's where I focus my own advice.
Jenrose

Old July 16th 03, 07:52 PM
iphigenia

Karen Askey wrote:

Rarely do I meet a father who has chosen to initiate this
unnecessary practice. It's nearly always the mother's call,

Heh, well, the mother's the one who's got to feed the child, so I do think
she's got a little more say in the matter! If a husband is really firmly
against cosleeping, I think he should be the one to have to wait for the
baby to nurse then get baby settled back into the crib.

Actually, my DH was at first a little unsure about the cosleeping, but after
a week or two he told me he loved the closeness and security of it. And he
loved having a wife who wasn't a totally sleep-deprived bitch.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 16th 03, 11:17 PM
Mary Gordon

Yeah, its like no one whose kid sleeps in a crib EVER has this
problem. Bwa, ha,ha, hee, ha, snort. Clunk. Mary falls on the floor
laughing.

Parents have a second baby. Oldest at age 2 goes into a regular bed
from the crib and discovers he can escape, wakes up at 3 am, runs all
over the house and wakes everyone up. Family bed or no family bed.
Obviously Mr. Redmond never read any sleep training books, since they
seem to be universally aimed at the parents of toddlers who almost all
go through a phase of getting out of bed and generally driving
everyone nuts at 2 am.

Mary G.
(mom of three, and yes, they all did it at some point no matter what
the heck the sleep arrangements were)
Old July 17th 03, 09:18 AM
Jenrose

"Stephanie S" wrote in message
.. .
snip
d) We tend to use our bed for sleeping at night. Other stuff happens

OTHER
times, but rarely "bedtime"

What do you mean other stuff? Sex? The whole santity of the marriage bed
thing is horsepucky as far as I am concerned. Or at least needn't be
considered seriously if other arrangements suit. BUT just to be an evil
troublemaker, anyone see that article in Newsweek a couple weeks ago about
the sexless marriage? There was a very subtle implication at one point

that
differing parenting styles were causing to decreased availabilty for sex

as
well as overall exhaustion. There was a letter from someone the next week
about keeping the bedroom sacred. I kinda thought of you all and laughed
about it.

Heh. I'm a newlywed, so that whole article just isn't relevant at
present...g But remembering back to when my daughter was tiny--cosleeping
was never a barrier to sex if sex was on the agenda...

Jenrose

Old July 17th 03, 01:12 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Jenrose" wrote in message

"Stephanie S" wrote in message
.. .
snip
d) We tend to use our bed for sleeping at night. Other stuff happens

OTHER
times, but rarely "bedtime"

What do you mean other stuff? Sex? The whole santity

WOOOPS. I meant SANCTITY!

[...]

I am an oldywed (tee hee). What's sex?