egg white allergy and BF

Old September 2nd 03, 06:20 AM
~gwyn

Default egg white allergy and BF

DS is 14 months old and apparently allergic to egg whites. When I
first introduced egg whites at around 12 months, his chin immediately
blotched up. I waited until last week to try them again and he
immediately acted like his tongue was itching and his cheeks and chin
were covered in red blotches. Do the proteins from eggs show up in
breastmilk like dairy proteins do? I was wondering whether or not I
should cut eggs out of my diet. He hasn't had any reactions to my
breastmilk yet and I eat a *lot* of eggs but I would hate to prevent
him from outgrowing this allergy.

TIA -
~gwyn

Old September 2nd 03, 12:49 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

The answer is probably. Probably the egg proteins show up in your
breastmilk. And so yes, you should probably go egg-free while you
continue to nurse.

Egg-free can be challenging. Be sure to get one of the lists of hidden
egg in processed foods. (Look up "egg allergy" on google; one of the
listed sites is bound to be helpful.)

Hope he outgrows this one. My son did.
--Beth Kevles

Old September 2nd 03, 01:07 PM
Herself

Beth Kevles wrote:

Hi -

The answer is probably. Probably the egg proteins show up in your
breastmilk. And so yes, you should probably go egg-free while you
continue to nurse.

Egg-free can be challenging. Be sure to get one of the lists of hidden
egg in processed foods. (Look up "egg allergy" on google; one of the
listed sites is bound to be helpful.)

And if she has any questions, feel free to ask in here....I'm in the
middle of a dairy, egg, tomato, shellfish, nut free diet for my son, and
can help with questions, or what I've learned so far (like most yeast
breads don't have egg in them...)\
--
Meself
sahm, bf mom to P, 23/12/01