Peanut butter

Old December 5th 03, 02:21 PM
Clare L

Default Peanut butter

For a child who has already dealt with one allergy (milk) and grown out of
it, how old should I wait for him to be before dishing up the peanut butter?

I think he may have had some exposure to peanuts via my milk already - I
have a recollections of dipping into some bowls of nuts on more than one
occasion and forgetting to check for the peanuts until it was too late.

--
Clare L

Old December 5th 03, 02:47 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

For a child who has outgrown one allergy, wait until your child is at
LEAST three years old before exposing him to peanuts. The reason has
less to do with preventing allergy (although that does figure in) than
with making sure your child is able to communicate symptoms, such as a
singling mouth, that might not be visible or discernable in a pre-verbal
child.

It's not uncommon for a first non-breastmilk exposure to produce mild
symptoms, easily treated with benadryl, while a subsequent exposure
could lead to full anaphylaxis. (Sometimes the first exposure can lead
to full anaphylaxis as well, so it's doubly important that your child
can communicate with you at the first "strange" sensations.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 5th 03, 05:17 PM
Herself

Beth Kevles wrote:

For a child who has outgrown one allergy, wait until your child is at
LEAST three years old before exposing him to peanuts. The reason has
less to do with preventing allergy (although that does figure in) than
with making sure your child is able to communicate symptoms, such as a
singling mouth, that might not be visible or discernable in a pre-verbal
child.

Our allergist told us to wait til he's 5 (multiple food allergies).
--
'Tis Herself
Old December 5th 03, 06:12 PM
JennP

"Clare L" wrote in message
For a child who has already dealt with one allergy (milk) and grown out of
it, how old should I wait for him to be before dishing up the peanut

butter?

I think he may have had some exposure to peanuts via my milk already -

have a recollections of dipping into some bowls of nuts on more than one
occasion and forgetting to check for the peanuts until it was too late.

As a parent of a child who is peanut allergic I would avoid it for as long
as possible. Matthew was two when he had his first allergic reaction and the
only way I knew was because I saw the hives and heard him trying to clear
his throat. He couldn't otherwise tell me what was going on. I wish I had
waited until he was more able to describe what was happening. Now he knows
what hives look like, knows how they feel, can tell me if his throat feels
itchy, etc.

Just wondering, how old is your child that he's already been diagnosed and
outgrown a milk allergy? I wish Matthew would outgrow his peanut allergy
quickly.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old December 5th 03, 08:16 PM
New York Jen

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi -

For a child who has outgrown one allergy, wait until your child is at
LEAST three years old before exposing him to peanuts. The reason has
less to do with preventing allergy (although that does figure in) than
with making sure your child is able to communicate symptoms, such as a
singling mouth, that might not be visible or discernable in a pre-verbal
child.

What about a kid who has shown NO evidence of ANY allergies? I still
haven't given Laszlo any nuts because I don't see a reason to just in case,
but the pediatrician said we could once he turned one (in the form of smooth
peanut butter).

- Jen, momma to Laszlo, almost 22 months (oh my GOD), and Lily due March 13

Old December 5th 03, 10:47 PM
Clare L

As a parent of a child who is peanut allergic I would avoid it for as long
as possible. Matthew was two when he had his first allergic reaction and

the
only way I knew was because I saw the hives and heard him trying to clear
his throat. He couldn't otherwise tell me what was going on. I wish I had
waited until he was more able to describe what was happening. Now he knows
what hives look like, knows how they feel, can tell me if his throat feels
itchy, etc.

Just wondering, how old is your child that he's already been diagnosed and
outgrown a milk allergy? I wish Matthew would outgrow his peanut allergy
quickly.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

DS is 15 months - diagnosed at about 5 months tho I had my suspicions before
that he poor weight gain was due to milk allergy. That and rash he got on a
few occasions I tried him with a tiny bit of formula after 3 months. He knew
it was bad for him as he screamed the place down after a sip or two. Rash
also appeared when he grabbed his big sisters milk. I went completely dairy
free, he grew like a mad thing. At 11 months the ped said Ok to try him on a
tiny bit of dairy to see if it still affected him. It didn't and he put on
even more weight.

Hope your son grows out of his allergy. I know a woman whose little girl had
anaphalatic reaction to milk but at the age of 2 she was fine with it.

love
Clare

Old December 5th 03, 11:04 PM
iphigenia

New York Jen wrote:

What about a kid who has shown NO evidence of ANY allergies? I still
haven't given Laszlo any nuts because I don't see a reason to just in
case, but the pediatrician said we could once he turned one (in the
form of smooth peanut butter).

Goodness. That's awfully early. I wouldn't give a child who had no allergies
peanut butter until at least 18-24 months. Dr. Sears says 18 mos for peanut
butter, fwiw.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old December 6th 03, 02:48 AM
New York Jen

"iphigenia" wrote in message
New York Jen wrote:

What about a kid who has shown NO evidence of ANY allergies? I still
haven't given Laszlo any nuts because I don't see a reason to just in
case, but the pediatrician said we could once he turned one (in the
form of smooth peanut butter).

Goodness. That's awfully early. I wouldn't give a child who had no

allergies
peanut butter until at least 18-24 months. Dr. Sears says 18 mos for

peanut
butter, fwiw.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net
"i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
i do not think that they will sing to me."

That's exactly how I felt...no rush to give him peanuts, he eats pretty well
so far on his own without them. I was just curious what the guidelines in
general were for peanuts with non-allergic kids.

Old December 6th 03, 02:50 AM
Emily Roysdon

iphigenia wrote:
New York Jen wrote:

What about a kid who has shown NO evidence of ANY allergies? I still
haven't given Laszlo any nuts because I don't see a reason to just in
case, but the pediatrician said we could once he turned one (in the
form of smooth peanut butter).

Goodness. That's awfully early.

It's a common recommendation and practice, though. I know so many
people who, even exclusively breastfeeding for the first 4 - 6 months,
give a PB&J as soon as the baby turns one. I think it's the convenience
factor of it.

I wouldn't give a child who had no allergies
peanut butter until at least 18-24 months. Dr. Sears says 18 mos for peanut
butter, fwiw.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest it before two myself. Rebekah was close to two
when she grabbed a sandwich from Noah's preschool party, but we lucked
out with no reaction (my kids have shown signs of other allergies.)

Emily

Old December 6th 03, 04:18 AM
JennP

"iphigenia" wrote in message

Goodness. That's awfully early. I wouldn't give a child who had no

allergies
peanut butter until at least 18-24 months. Dr. Sears says 18 mos for

peanut
butter, fwiw.

And isn't that for choking reasons in addition to the allergy risks? Isn't
the pb too sticky for a one year old to manage?
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

cocoa butter comparisons (LONG and X-posted) melizabeth Pregnancy 10 May 20th 04 03:05 AM
Reintroduction with Peanut #2 Threnody Pregnancy 10 February 18th 04 03:03 AM
Peanut allergies on rise in children JG Kids Health 0 December 9th 03 08:50 PM
Peanut introduction Cheryl S. General 30 November 7th 03 01:35 AM
Peanut butter Leanne Pregnancy 16 November 4th 03 09:39 PM